A LONG, HARD day on the Escarpment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
I grew up in the Eastern Freestate in Qwa Qwa and in Harrismith, and to this day it is one of my favourite places in our beautiful country. Now that I am fortunate enough to own a Dual Sport Bike, this area has come alive to me as never before. I know the area pretty well, and as some of you may know it is an absolute dream to ride this area on a D/S bike.

Earlier in the week I had the idea of doing a day ride out there on Saturday, I knew it would be a LONG day of hard and fast riding, just what the doctor ordered. But as life happens, I got tangled up at work on Friday afternoon, this caused me to arrive late at a thing I had to be at on Friday night. I knew Friday night was going to be a late night, and it was. So I decided Friday during the day that I would have to leave my trip for another day. There was just not enough time.

I eventually got home at 01:00 in the morning, dead tired after a very hard week at work and a late evening. I woke up at 04:00 to have a glass of water and as I was standing at the sink drinking it, I thought to myself, "Aag f*ck it, just go" I went back to my bedroom, switched on the light, got my riding kit on, had a cup of coffee, and by 05:00 I was on the R21 heading south. That is the best thing about being a single bloke, you can just get up and go where ever you want when ever you want, no need to take anyone else's feelings or needs into account. Lekker!

This was taken somewhere between Villiers and Vrede, man the Freestate must have some of the best sunrises.
IMG_0847.jpg

After the most annoying roadworks between the R103 and Vrede, I rolled into Memel at exactly 08:00, happy as a pig in shit.
The beautiful Church in Memel early morning.
IMG_0851.jpg

I filled up the tank in Memel, and headed for some dirt on the way to Normandien Pass. I have this habit of naming certain roads to what I feel they should have been called. It helps me remember them and imprints them on my mind forever, it is a bit odd when I chat to someone about them and I refer to the roads by what I call them and the person has no idea of what I am referring to. Well this dirt road from Memel to Normandien Pass I call the Kliprivier Road, because it runs next to the Kliprivier all the way to Normandien Pass. It is one of my all time favourite roads to ride, it is wide, open and fast with no surprises, stunning views and a great surface. What more can you ask for. Man I love this road!

First bit on dirt on the Kliprivier Road
IMG_0852.jpg

Now this is a proper dirt highway
IMG_0854.jpg

This road does not disappoint
IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

And it just keeps getting better and better
IMG_0862.jpg

Then I got to the top of Normandien Pass. This is one the most beautiful views you can get. It truly is breathtaking. I just sat here for 15min, looking down the escarpment with Natal down there. What a special place this is. And I had it all to myself. I have not seen one single person or vehicle since I left Memel. Life truly is good. The silence here is special, the only sound was the wind.
144.jpg

145.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0885.jpg

I got going again, and headed down Normandien. I have ridden Normandien up and down, but I really prefer going down, the views are just so so special. The pass is in very good condition and should not be a problem for anyone to ride it. Some loose rocks here and there with some ruts and wash aways after all the rain, but nothing to worry about.

The start of the pass
IMG_0889.jpg

Some more, really an awesome ride and a must do for every D/S biker
IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_0891.jpg

147.jpg

At the bottom of the pass I made my way towards Besters, and the bottom of the Railway Line leading up the escarpment to Van Reenen. Now this road, what can I say, if you like it fast, this one is for you. I have never ever rode a dirtroad so smooth, it is in better condition than a tar road, but it has a loose layer of gravel covering it. What this does, is it provides you with THE BEST surface to practice your powerslides, man I had so much fun on this road, it should be illegal. I did not stop once on this piece, I just had too much fun, so no pictures,sorry.

All to soon I reached Besters, and headed up the mountain towards Van Reenen on the "Tonnel Pad"
IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg

I reached the Green Lantern at 11:45 and settled in for a well deserved beer.
IMG_0913.jpg

I will post the rest of my story tomorrow...........I am still tired  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Edited for my crappy spelling......