Ok let's go check out the Northern Province and Limpopo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidetrack

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
I still had Monday and Tuesday free after putting in some leave for the East Cape Bash which turned out to be a no go, the bike was just serviced and ready to roll. Dirtwarp spent some time on Google Earth and we had a ride planned up towards Limpopo / Northern Province. Great have not done much riding up there, it did not dissapoint ! The inevitable tar had to be dispatched quickly, wyk Satan !

DSCF3162.jpg

The first bit out towards Renosterkop Dam have been done a couple of times but always provides different terrain depending on what the weather has been up to. There were still some sandy bits and shallow water crossings around. Luckily not much mud, would hate to be plastered in the stuff with three days of riding to do.

DSCF3164.jpg

DSCF3165.jpg

Early morning cool down

DSCF3166.jpg

Bikes used for the trip : KTM 450 XCW and KTM 525 EXC
Total km's covered : 1200 km give or take
Average fuel consumption : 20km/l

14052011484800x600.jpg

DSCF3169.jpg

DSCF3173.jpg

Fuel stop at the Village of Mapoch, the 450 was running a stock 9 L tank. Dirtwarp ran out of fuel once on the trip 40m before a garage the rest was covered no problem, felt a little daft with my 25L fuel tanker :) The locals were happy to see some bikes and could not understand why you would sit on a bike for a whole day and then camp in the mountains ! Bought some canned food and bread for the braai later that night, tasted like mannah from heaven.

DSCF3174.jpg

DSCF3176.jpg

Single track and ANC voting rallies were popular attractions on day one.

DSCF3180.jpg

We were heading north east towards Ga Mampuru to join up with the Olifants river and follow some tracks running along side it. It turned out to be some great riding. Typical bushveld with thorn bushes sandy tweespoor. Also had a big moment when the rear slided and at one point I was totally sideways, just not sure if it was going to be a low or high side. By some miracle the bike got back into line, luckily I brought three pairs of underwear !

DSCF3191.jpg

DSCF3186.jpg

DSCF3185.jpg

DSCF3193.jpg

Masses of tracks all over, just watch out for the occasional goats and cattle.

DSCF3189.jpg

Heading towards Tswaing and Penge, never again will I ride a camping chair with. Sat on it for about 30 mins but had to lug it along for freakin days.

14052011493800x600.jpg

DSCF3194.jpg

On the banks of the Olifants, like sand then come and play here.

DSCF3196.jpg

Our stopover for the night would be close to Wolkberg. The pass leading to the camp site included some switch backs, steep climbs and forestry sections. We only got to site after night fall and we had to pull on all our Bear Grylls survival tricks to get the fire going. Spaza shop food and dodgy meat never tasted so good !

DSCF3198.jpg

DSCF3200.jpg

Day two would bring totally different scenery, stay tuned .....