Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM 640 - why so little info?  (Read 1620 times)

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
Re: KTM 640 - why so little info?
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 09:16:34 pm »
The weight, height and general ergo's makes it a pleasure to use in seriously technical terrain. And at speed over rough terrain it is sublime.

I have seen MJ go up Katberg at speed on the 640 during the Hogsback Bash  ;D Even Ball & Chain saw it, and he still bought the bike  ;D
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline African child

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Not all who wander are lost
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 07:34:05 am »
Ek is fanaties oor my 640! Beslis seker nie almal se koppie tee nie, maar ek sal elke keer weer die slet kies....
A nomad I will remain for life, in love with distant and uncharted places

Offline Doerengone

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • doc, see its like this...my avatar left me- again.
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 08:19:43 am »

Mine has 35,000km on at the moment. Only issues so far have been crashbars cracking (removed bars), and a clutch master cylinder that had to be replaced. Overall, a very complete bike, with superior brakes and parts in general. But the best is the suspension, which makes you grin whenever you leave the tar.

As a general precaution, I will be replacing inlet rocker bearing at the next service. In the longer term, the fitting of a ''new'' X challenge motor in the might be an option, I just dont know if it has been done yet.

As noted, ADV Rider has a comprehensive idex on the 640, with a wealth of info.
KTM640 Adv, R1100GS.

Offline Sprocketbek

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 08:58:36 am »
Mine is an 2003 model that I bought brand new in 2004.
It has 42000 km on the odo but I don't commute with it; just off road trips or maybe the odd trip into town or to Hermanus.

Left main bearing went @ 22500 km but I know why: I was riding at 160+ for two hours on tar trying to keep up with some 990's. Total repair cost was in the order of R 7000, there was no other damage to the crankshaft or case. Those motors are pretty tough in my opinion as I rode it for about 15 km with the most horrible noises coming out of it.

Other than that:
Clutch slave cylinder, master cylinder just kit.
Swingarm pivot shaft snapped when the needle bearings seized.
Front shock seals.
ALL the wheel bearings, as soon as one became dodgy.
Replaced all spokes with SS due to corrosion.
I'm on my third battery. The 2nd was a pirate and lasted 2 years, will stick to the ones from the agents.

As mentioned the biggest downside is vibration. My right hand often goes completely numb, mostly at cruising speed.
KTM 990 Adv
KTM 640 Adv

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2011, 09:20:16 am »
Mine is an 2003 model that I bought brand new in 2004.
It has 42000 km on the odo but I don't commute with it; just off road trips or maybe the odd trip into town or to Hermanus.

Left main bearing went @ 22500 km but I know why: I was riding at 160+ for two hours on tar trying to keep up with some 990's. Total repair cost was in the order of R 7000, there was no other damage to the crankshaft or case. Those motors are pretty tough in my opinion as I rode it for about 15 km with the most horrible noises coming out of it.

Other than that:
Clutch slave cylinder, master cylinder just kit.
Swingarm pivot shaft snapped when the needle bearings seized.
Front shock seals.
ALL the wheel bearings, as soon as one became dodgy.
Replaced all spokes with SS due to corrosion.
I'm on my third battery. The 2nd was a pirate and lasted 2 years, will stick to the ones from the agents.

As mentioned the biggest downside is vibration. My right hand often goes completely numb, mostly at cruising speed.

Mine also makes horrible noises but I took it to KTM and they recon it's just the normal noises  :biggrin:

Also need to replace fork seals but I knew that before I bought it. My spokes are also quite rusty. What does it cost more or less to replace?

I knew from the start that the bike would cost me a lot to maintain but I got it at a bargain price and love it so much that it doesn't really bother me
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline bradleys

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2011, 09:28:13 am »
I love my 640 ,it has 38500km ,has not let me down,I popped a fork seal on the way to the ec bash,had fun on the rough shit but she handled like a beauty.Yes top end is a prob,but when I travel long distanceI run her around 6th revs then will go to 75th revs for a bit just keep varing the rpm.I service the bike myself runs on castrol activo,I do ride her hard but she loves it. For the handle bar vibrations just stuff foam rubber inside the bars,helps a bit.

I am in a bit of dilema do I sell my baby and buy a 990 or keep the 640?
I have had no shit ,only chains ,sprockets  and service ,yes need to change therockers.
ROUTE DIFFICULTY
1 = tar
2 = good gravel /pillian friendly
3 = interspersed with sand, mud, sand , bush / not pillian friendly
4 = lots of sand, technical riding 5 = expert only

Offline Sprocketbek

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2011, 11:16:01 am »
Mine also makes horrible noises but I took it to KTM and they recon it's just the normal noises  :biggrin:
No, no, you don't understand what real noise is till you've heard a main bearing go.

My spokes are also quite rusty. What does it cost more or less to replace?
I've been looking for SS spokes for a long time but everybody just shrugged or didn't answer my E-mails. I ran into Vark and he told me Mario from Dirt Riders in Killarney Gardens did his and he's very happy. Now I am too.
Costs: About R 1000 for each wheel's spokes. He charged R 480 to lace, I could have had it done cheaper elsewhere but I chose to support the guy that delivers the goods. Also I have the aluminium coloured DID rims, they came with thinner spokes so all the holes had to be drilled out slightly. Another (optional) R 700 to have both of the rims anodized brought the total to R 3700 tax incl.
KTM 990 Adv
KTM 640 Adv

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2011, 05:12:06 pm »
Just wondering..... why is there so little info on problems with this bike (on WD anyway)
Do they just not break, or are the owners not keen to tell?
I'd like anyone's feedback on their bike..... repairs costs, fuel economy etc......
Thanks  :thumleft:

big end bearings is to the 640 as steering head bearings are to the dakar - to be replaced every 25 000km  :peepwall:

that is BS, maybe on the older models

did your bike not try to push the cam and rockers out the breather pipe ???

dot get me wrong i love the 640 - but reliable it aint .

Offline AntonW

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2011, 08:35:30 pm »
I always thought that the big end is at the bottom of the motor and the cam at the top. The inlet rocker seized, not the big end or main bearings. This is well documented I am told it Is from running at high speeds for long periods of time. The thing to remember that it is a race type motor so needs tlc.

Henry Kissinger is said to have once opined that "academic debates are so bitter because the stakes are so low.

" It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you
realise that there is always a way to solve problems without using violence "

Offline domstes

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2011, 09:11:03 pm »
Still and to this day the only bike off the shop floor that can do the Dakar unchanged. Not suspension or engine changes. Only extra fuel and water containers.
Many have done it.

Offline bradleys

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011, 11:11:03 am »
Best dual sport ever :thumleft:
ROUTE DIFFICULTY
1 = tar
2 = good gravel /pillian friendly
3 = interspersed with sand, mud, sand , bush / not pillian friendly
4 = lots of sand, technical riding 5 = expert only