Cush rubber conundrum F650GS Dakar sprocket carrier issue, some advice please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michnus

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Story goes like this. In Uganda and the Dakar rear sprocket seems loose, it can move form side to side. Don't confuse with forward and backwards. I fitted new bearings to the sprocket carrier hub before the trip and it's now 17000km and it seems the bearings are shot.

I had a spare set and used a overlanders travel fridge to freeze the bearings then knock out the old ones. Then as a I fitted the new ones, the first one went it way to loose in it's seat and the other one sort of tight.

Both bearings must be punched/pushed in from one side, the inside one was loose the outer one was okay. Thing is how can a hub wear out? And then only one of the two where the bearings fit?
The bike is on 65000km and then the other bike also on 66000km the same happened a few thousands k's later.

The wheels are aligned correct and correct torque, and chain tension was correct at all times.

Then I read on ADVrider, people suggested even if your cush rubbers looks okay, they are not and it can cause bearing wear or in this case hub wear. If considered how the power i applied to the sprocket carrier it can make sense why the outside bearing is loose in the casing?

My cush rubbers looks okay, I replaced one hub and the other I had to make a plan to get the bearing to at least seat stiff inside the hub.
Bearings are no1 and no2

Attachments

• GSSprocketCarrier.jpg
    GSSprocketCarrier.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 658