Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Pics from my Dakar attempt  (Read 3883 times)

Offline baku

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
Pics from my Dakar attempt
« on: May 26, 2011, 07:30:58 pm »
a few pics of my dakar attempt....an experience of a life time
KTM 690 Rally KTM 300EXC KTM 505SX

Online JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
Re: Pics from my Dakar attempt
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 07:35:47 pm »
Welcome !!!

Are you Ian Stevenson ?

You say "attempt" so I take it you did not finish - what happened ? Tell us the story please

We are all mad about Rally Raiding here and literally cannot get enough

The older I get the faster I was

Online edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 07:38:06 pm »
Awesome,i always dreamed of giving that a shot! :thumleft:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

'16 Africa Twin CRF1000
'12 KTM200
`11 CRF 230F `12 KTM 200  BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 07:39:24 pm »
Welcome  :biggrin: tell us more we are all ears.
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline baku

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 08:17:01 pm »
Yip......lasted until mid stage 9 ...3 more to go. Had a semi bad fall coming out of a river crossing over a ledge and lost the the front wheel...twisted my knee and broke ribs. Crash happened at +-150km into stage 9 on route from Antofagasta to Copiapo. I battled on for another 50k's and pulled out as i could not stand on the pegs and probably had another 10 so falls after the crash. I experienced a good fall at least every day and i came out ok....at the end of the day its part of the race.

Stages started of ok with lots of hard pack dirt road style stages with long liasons, some days we were riding 400-500 klics just to get to the start ( this was something that I did not expect). Then came the Andes and a crossing that took us to 5000m above sea level. I left the biv at 4h30 in the morning temp 25deg and ended up at below zero at 5000m without warm kit...learnt how to ride quickly with my left hand on the throttle exchanging hands to keep them warm over the motor. Then came the sand and the dreaded fesh fesh with hidden landmines (rocks buried in the fesh fesh)....the terrain got worse as we headed further north, the dunes were welcomed breaks from the rocks a sand. The stage before the rest was very tough, all in all +- 850k with 550k special of 100's k's of fesh fesh and dunes. I started at 5h00 and arrived at the biv at 22h30 that night, 50% of the field was out by this point the trucks probably took the biggest strain, there were still competitors arriving throughout the following day, 18h00 was the cut off. The day after the rest day was cut short with some really nice enduro type riding where the bikes and 4 wheels were separated, probably an indication of where the rally is going with the advent of 450. The 690 was a little tough to handle in the tight stuff but didnt miss a beat. Then came stage 9 where i had the fall...stupid, but could of happened on stage 2. I have un finished business and will definitely give it another shot, its a massive financial commitment that takes a very rich man to attempt every year and theres the time away from home...you need to be fit so lots of riding and lots endurance fitness work.

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 08:23:30 pm »
Thanks for sharing baku!  :thumleft:
We love this stuff.
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline Slaaiblaar

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 10:31:01 pm »
Great stuff...If ever in Pretoria, contact me, I'll buy you a beer

Online ChristoffGS

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 11:18:27 pm »
Thanks Baku  :thumleft:  There are very few wilddogs who do not dream of doing the dakar someday!  You certainly lived/are living the dream!
"It's all just about motorbikes, it always has been, it always will be..." - Ewan McGregor
'81 Honda CG125
'81 Honda CX500 - *sold*
'03 BMW F650GS

Offline BOER!

• is 'n GS neersletterende
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • What's Updog?
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 02:20:33 am »
Thanks Baku  :thumleft:  There are very few wilddogs who do not dream of doing the dakar someday!  You certainly lived/are living the dream!

+1
My hart kom affie plaas, Waar die Wind en die Son en die Stilte my speelmaats was.

Everybody falls off. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 05:56:11 am »
A giant has quietly slipped in amongst us. Respect!

Offline Ronsard

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • never ask why...ask why not
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 07:15:36 am »
Baku, how would you describe the dunes and desert parts, is it nice riding the sand??

Offline baku

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 08:29:35 am »
The Dunes were a pleasure once I got the feel of the momentum required to get over the lip...a little too much and you risked launching yourself into the unknown and a too little meant a big struggle with having to dig the bike out and attempting the dune again. The straight desert stuff was a different story specially up north where the fesh fesh was littered with buried rocks and ruts. I was mixed in with the cars and trucks most days so had to contend with the dust and the ruts left by those 1000hp trucks. Had a few scary moments in the dunes after loosing it over back end of a dune knowing there was a truck behind me....thank God that the sentinel did actually work.

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 09:44:29 am »
 :salut: :notworthy:

Thanks for sharing.  Well done on flying the SA flag in such a tough race!

Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline domstes

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 09:53:59 am »

+1000 RESPECT!!

Ian, what is your thoughts on the 450's now running in the race. I can not really see the point af having an endurance race where the engines are replaced.

Do you reacon you would have had and easier ride on a 450?

Offline baku

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 05:43:39 pm »

+1000 RESPECT!!

Ian, what is your thoughts on the 450's now running in the race. I can not really see the point af having an endurance race where the engines are replaced.

Do you reacon you would have had and easier ride on a 450?

The organizers are definitely changing the race to cater for the 450 with a number of the stages where the bikes were pealed off the route onto tighter stuff....which is more fun but is  difficult if you haven't come from an enduro background. There were alot of engine failures...so we are definitely going to see more endurance geared " adventure" bikes on the market from many different manufactures as they focus there development on bikes/motors that can handle this type of event.

The downfall is the cost... which will probably be 3-4 fold.....spares will increase drastically + the need for a dedicated mechanic ...many of the riders dovetail 2 riders to one mac which obviously decreases costs ( the macs air travel, travel to the biv's, hotel accommodation before an after and then wage) if this is all shared then it makes the world of difference. With the 450 and engine changes then its a mac a rider...or unsupported. I took Rodney Gray with me which cost R30k +acc _+ flights, for spares I took out the KTM support package where KTM had a spares truck which moved from Biv to Biv with the race...this cost R23k then the cost of spares used ...my bill was R43k and this was for nothing more than lubes, chains, ICO, levers etc no major parts..... My riding partner Daniel Schroeder was another story ...his bill at half way for spares along was R150k ...the bike was almost destroyed twice having to be rebuilt from the sub frame up on both occasions. I passed him on the stage before the rest day 100k from the end  of the stage trying to piece the bike together after he hit a rock 0.5m high while looking at his roadbook....he eventually found his saddle 100m away from where he impacted the rock....amazingly he did not have a scratch on him...an accident like this is could of put him in his box. Daniel went on to finish the stage and finished the race in the 50's....a very talented rider and someone to watch out for next year could well be in the top 20 or even 10.

I definitely think the 450 is going to be a better bet...easier riding.....more options ( as in choice of manufactures) which could bring the cost down

Offline chicco

• Revolution or death........
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 07:12:35 pm »
Hi Ian, How does Dallies Pongola 500 compare to your easiest Dakar stage? Some guys said its the closest one can get to a Dakar stage in SA.  ???
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 990, HONDA CRF 230, KTM 990S

Offline baku

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 09:08:15 pm »
the first two stages are easy relative to the others....the difficulty extends like a geometric progression. Day1 was a long liason from BA to victoria (450km) ...the organizers  start with the mind game right from the beginning, my start time was 3.30 pm , I had to wait for the podium and then start the 450km liason tunneled with people ( when I say this I mean it, it's an unbelievable experience to witness the the support specially through Agrentina, thousands and thousand of people lining the streets. This dies down as you get further into the Rally). I arrived at Victoria at 21h00, had to erect my tent, help get the bike sorted for the next day (change tyres etc), mark the road book ( which was still very foreign), eat , have a crap, then try and get some sleep for a 4 am start in the morning. Day 2 was stage 1 which was a 450km liason timed at 100km average speed for your start time of stage 1...if you missed the time you lose the time plus incur a penalty for the time loss, then it was a +- 300km special fairly easy stage with another 100km liason...so the days special easy but in all your already tired from the previous days hipe and you've riden in excess of 800km without a stop for a meal ....so a fairly tough day...then it dwells on you that you have to endure 13 stages worse than this...and it starts sinking in. The race really starts on stage 3 day 4, thats when the drop outs started, every day there were at least 10 or so. Two days before the rest day was when it got tough... the riding was testing.

Its very difficult to compare to one of our "rally" events but Dally has a good feel....if another 400km of distance was added then I would say you have a good comparison.

Offline chicco

• Revolution or death........
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 09:47:06 pm »
Thanks Ian. I know Dallie is hard at work to plan the next one, maybe do some bit of Mozambique, to ad another 400km will take the party factor out of the ride...so I don't think it will happen.....do you still have your 990?  Will we see you again at this years pongola challenge? We will just have to find Dallie a decent bike.....

Some pics from last year.....
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 990, HONDA CRF 230, KTM 990S

Offline SGB

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 06:51:03 pm »
We will just have to find Dallie a decent bike.....

What do you suggest?  Dallie has had a 990R since the beginning of the year and has done 7000 km+. And his smile is now even bigger than always.  :thumleft:
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline DeonDj

• Deleted Users
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Bethlehem
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2011, 06:53:12 pm »
Respect!  :thumleft:
The bike is just a blank page, the rider is the writer, the road is the ink....