Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Pics from my Dakar attempt  (Read 3858 times)

Offline chicco

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Revolution or death........
Re: Pics from my Dakar attempt
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 07:02:44 pm »
We will just have to find Dallie a decent bike.....

What do you suggest?  Dallie has had a 990R since the beginning of the year and has done 7000 km+. And his smile is now even bigger than always.  :thumleft:

He is looking for something with more space, sidecar or boot will help......
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 990, HONDA CRF 230, KTM 990S

Offline SGB

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 07:48:14 pm »
We will just have to find Dallie a decent bike.....

What do you suggest?  Dallie has had a 990R since the beginning of the year and has done 7000 km+. And his smile is now even bigger than always.  :thumleft:

He is looking for something with more space, sidecar or boot will help......

Oh nice, I might be able to keep up then.....  8)
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline domstes

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2011, 02:00:44 pm »
:salut: :notworthy:

Thanks for sharing.  Well done on flying the SA flag in such a tough race!

+1000 RESPECT!!

Ian, what is your thoughts on the 450's now running in the race. I can not really see the point af having an endurance race where the engines are replaced.

Do you reacon you would have had and easier ride on a 450?

The organizers are definitely changing the race to cater for the 450 with a number of the stages where the bikes were pealed off the route onto tighter stuff....which is more fun but is  difficult if you haven't come from an enduro background. There were alot of engine failures...so we are definitely going to see more endurance geared " adventure" bikes on the market from many different manufactures as they focus there development on bikes/motors that can handle this type of event.

The downfall is the cost... which will probably be 3-4 fold.....spares will increase drastically + the need for a dedicated mechanic ...many of the riders dovetail 2 riders to one mac which obviously decreases costs ( the macs air travel, travel to the biv's, hotel accommodation before an after and then wage) if this is all shared then it makes the world of difference. With the 450 and engine changes then its a mac a rider...or unsupported. I took Rodney Gray with me which cost R30k +acc _+ flights, for spares I took out the KTM support package where KTM had a spares truck which moved from Biv to Biv with the race...this cost R23k then the cost of spares used ...my bill was R43k and this was for nothing more than lubes, chains, ICO, levers etc no major parts..... My riding partner Daniel Schroeder was another story ...his bill at half way for spares along was R150k ...the bike was almost destroyed twice having to be rebuilt from the sub frame up on both occasions. I passed him on the stage before the rest day 100k from the end  of the stage trying to piece the bike together after he hit a rock 0.5m high while looking at his roadbook....he eventually found his saddle 100m away from where he impacted the rock....amazingly he did not have a scratch on him...an accident like this is could of put him in his box. Daniel went on to finish the stage and finished the race in the 50's....a very talented rider and someone to watch out for next year could well be in the top 20 or even 10.

I definitely think the 450 is going to be a better bet...easier riding.....more options ( as in choice of manufactures) which could bring the cost down

Thanks for answering all our questions. You are probably tired of being quizzed about the race by now. Thanks again.  :thumleft:

Offline TheAnt

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2011, 02:55:55 pm »
 :happy1:

Offline Berm_Rooster

• is childish hooligan, not a
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Mossel Bay every other 6 weeks
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2011, 03:31:05 pm »
More please!!!

Offline baku

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2011, 07:19:06 pm »

Thanks for sharing.  Well done on flying the SA flag in such a tough race!

+1000 RESPECT!!

Ian, what is your thoughts on the 450's now running in the race. I can not really see the point af having an endurance race where the engines are replaced.

Do you reacon you would have had and easier ride on a 450?

The organizers are definitely changing the race to cater for the 450 with a number of the stages where the bikes were pealed off the route onto tighter stuff....which is more fun but is  difficult if you haven't come from an enduro background. There were alot of engine failures...so we are definitely going to see more endurance geared " adventure" bikes on the market from many different manufactures as they focus there development on bikes/motors that can handle this type of event.

The downfall is the cost... which will probably be 3-4 fold.....spares will increase drastically + the need for a dedicated mechanic ...many of the riders dovetail 2 riders to one mac which obviously decreases costs ( the macs air travel, travel to the biv's, hotel accommodation before an after and then wage) if this is all shared then it makes the world of difference. With the 450 and engine changes then its a mac a rider...or unsupported. I took Rodney Gray with me which cost R30k +acc _+ flights, for spares I took out the KTM support package where KTM had a spares truck which moved from Biv to Biv with the race...this cost R23k then the cost of spares used ...my bill was R43k and this was for nothing more than lubes, chains, ICO, levers etc no major parts..... My riding partner Daniel Schroeder was another story ...his bill at half way for spares along was R150k ...the bike was almost destroyed twice having to be rebuilt from the sub frame up on both occasions. I passed him on the stage before the rest day 100k from the end  of the stage trying to piece the bike together after he hit a rock 0.5m high while looking at his roadbook....he eventually found his saddle 100m away from where he impacted the rock....amazingly he did not have a scratch on him...an accident like this is could of put him in his box. Daniel went on to finish the stage and finished the race in the 50's....a very talented rider and someone to watch out for next year could well be in the top 20 or even 10.

I definitely think the 450 is going to be a better bet...easier riding.....more options ( as in choice of manufactures) which could bring the cost down

Thanks for answering all our questions. You are probably tired of being quizzed about the race by now. Thanks again.  :thumleft:

Not a problem, happy to share my experience. I've got a host of pics from the race...i'll post them
KTM 690 Rally KTM 300EXC KTM 505SX

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2011, 11:17:11 pm »
Hi Iain! First of all CONGRATULATIONS on your attempt. Having done the Dos Sertőes in Brazil last year, I know how difficult it is just to get to the start line and you not only managed that but you did amazingly well. It was a real pity when we found out you had crashed. You built up a huge following here on the Wilddog forum during the race along with Albert Hintenaus and Ingo Waldschmidt.

There is a lot of info, pics and video (some of which you have possibly not yet seen) on this 46 page thread on the Dakar 2011 found here. There are definitely a couple of clips of you  there.

If your anything like some of us, I bet you can't stop thinking about the Dakar, and somehow life seems a little dull after an experience like that! If that is the case, I have a few (actually quite a lot) of questions:

I understand you teamed up with Alfie, how did it go in the bivouac? Is there anything you would have done differently on the support side?

Did you ride much with anyone else? I know on my rally I was pretty much on my own, but I noticed a few guys liked to ride with a buddy.

Can you tell us a bit about your scrutineering experience - FIM are difficult at the best of times, but how was it doing the Dakar where they are so much worse?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 11:17:49 pm by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2011, 11:18:37 pm »
Oh ja, can you please post bigger pics if you get the chance? Thanks!
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Motties

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Was Darksider
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2011, 10:32:31 am »
Well done Ian, keep it coming!! :thumleft: Like BB2007 said, we felt for you when we heard you were out.

Next time you will be going with some valuable experience under your belt, can only get better!!
'16 KTM 300 XCW

Offline c-monster

• Bike: Yamaha XT660
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2011, 08:59:02 pm »
 thanks for sharing. Living the life dude.

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2011, 09:13:13 pm »
Awesome stuff. Please give more.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

…, I wish I could own them all, and until I can afford to own them all at once, I will own them one at a time... 

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2011, 09:54:56 pm »
Subscribed for sure  :thumleft:
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally..

Offline onderbroek

• Bike: Zero (all models)
  • not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2011, 10:06:50 am »
 :thumleft:
hak vrystaat

Geotraveller

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2011, 04:47:39 pm »
Awesome thanks for posting! :thumleft:

Offline Bring It On