the_wes' Kawasaki W650 (for sale)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_wes

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Harley Davidson (all models)
Update
Article on the build on Bike EXIF: https://www.bikeexif.com/kawasaki-w650-2
Desktop wallpapers on Rather be Riding: https://www.ratherberiding.co.za/kawasaki-w650-wallpapers/

Quoting from my blog, here: https://www.ratherberiding.co.za/rather-be-riding-my-kawasaki-w650/ (hit the link for some more pics)

Just over a week ago I became the owner of a Kawasaki W650. It was a motorcycle I’d been thinking about for weeks, maybe even months, with nothing but the poor quality cell phone photos I’d downloaded from the classified ad to whet my appetite, and countless pics of jaw dropping custom W650s by the likes of Deus Ex Machina et al to fuel my fantasies.

Having ridden nothing but dual purpose bikes both on and off the road for the last 4 years, and not being in a position to own 2 bikes, I wrestled at length with the decision to either buy it or give it a miss. This decision was made harder by the fact that the W650 is ultra rare in South Africa – having never been officially imported. With my Husky TE 610 finally sold and the money burning a hole in my bank account, I resolved to at least look at it in person before completely dismissing the idea – so I contacted the owner and set a date.

My head was muddled with the pros and cons of buying a road bike, and thoughts of how much I would miss riding off road should I choose to go down this path. The truth of the matter however was that I wasn’t really riding off road much – with a growing family (number 2 should arrive any day now) and a newfound love for mountain biking, I was spending every weekend either at home or on the trails. And I was loving every minute of it. My Husky, kitted to the nines with every off road and touring accessory you could imagine, was gathering dust in the garage and being dragged out for jaunts around town. Hardly befitting such a magnificent dirt bike. And to make matters worse, just as I was setting up the meet and greet for the Kawa, I caught wind of a Honda XR 650 R for sale – same year model, same price, and to be viewed on the same day.

By the time the date arrived I had analysed myself into a decision-making coma (the paralysis of analysis as a friend of mine likes to call it). I arrived at Superbike Solutions in Somerset West – the agreed meeting place since owner and dyno guru Julian is a mutual friend – and waited for the W650 to arrive. The sound of the 674cc  parallel twin burbling on decceleration alerted me to its arrival – I stepped outside, and instantly fell in love.

This particular W650 had already received a few custom touches thanks to it’s previous owner. Both the front and rear fenders were chopped and the tail unit and turn signals chucked in favour of something more tasteful. The seat was swapped for a Nitroheads Viper unit and the bars for a set of clubmans, the air box removed and the tank resprayed in traditional silver-plus-racing-stripe, with mock “Triumphant” logos. I stared at it for a while, started it up, took it for a spin around Somerset West, took some pictures, sat on it a bit, stared at it a little more – all delaying the inevitable. Even Dave, a good friend and Honda XR 650 R aficionado that came along, took one look at it and threatened to buy it out from under me. I didn’t give him half a chance – within an hour the bank transfer was done, and that night the W650 slept in my garage.

Since then I’ve been riding almost every day, for whatever reason I can find. When I first considered buying the W650, the most exciting prospect was what I’d do with it – would I take the café racer concept further, or would I build it up as a flat tracker or retro scrambler? After all, it is a Kawasaki W650 – the perfect project bike, loaded with potential. I was so focussed on how this project would take form that I was completely blindsided by how sublime it is to ride this bike. Even though the ergonomics are completely foreign to me (I’ve gone from riding a single and sitting upright, to riding a twin and hunching over low-slung bars) I’m enjoying every aspect of it. The engine hits the balance between smooth and vibey on the head, the torque is spot on (thanks to Julian) and the peashooter mufflers (though a little too muted) provide a decent enough soundtrack. I even love the kick starter, which I use almost exclusively despite the presence of a “happy button”.

Of course the cherry on the cake would be the comments it attracts – from admiration from friends who don’t even necessarily know bikes, to confusion from knowledgeable people who mistake it for a Triumph until I correct them. There’s no denying it – the W650 is über cool. I guess there’s something universally appealing about a Japanese British modern classic that speaks to the motorcyclist in everyone. But more so there’s a deep satisfaction in knowing that the bike you own is the bike that makes you want to get up every morning, don your helmet and ride, regardless of whether you’re blasting down a dirt trail or meandering along a country road.

Because that’s really the best motorcycle, isn’t it?

Attachments

• DSC08646wide.jpg
    DSC08646wide.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 1,980
  • DSC08612.jpg
    DSC08612.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 1,952