1200GS ABS (servo) brake fluid - is there another place where you check levels ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eisbein

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
This might be a totally stupid question and if it is - sorry in advance.
;D ;D

Every now and then (especially after I stop dead) I have the ABS light starting to flash alternately with the red triangle on the dash.
Restart and all's well.

When that happens the ABS is still working, the servo's still do their thing (front and rear).

The things that I have found on the web has issues about the rear ABS sensor not working (but then the speedo will be dead and ABS won't initialize / work properly). Same for the front.

Also reports of the battery that might be flat (it started the bike over the weekend after spending a sub zero night in Sutherland no problems)

Then they say that it could be servo issues, but in my case both makes noise and both still works like it should be.

They also say that it could be low brake fluid and I have checked both reservoirs and they are on the mark.

However - this makes me wonder:

"low fluid in the ABS controller for either (or both) of the wheel circuits"

Is there actually somewhere in the ABS system where you can check the brake fluid level (other than front and back on the handle bars and above the rear brake lever) ?

My rear disk is in need of replacement, so it could be that the system needs to move the calipers out too far and because of that have too little fluid in it ?

Any advice and thoughts appreciated.