10-4 Lesotho

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoelineT

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
10 days, 4 bikers and one awesome adventure in Lesotho!

Day 1 - High Spirits, long roads and itchy throttle hands
Distance traveled: 950km (Bakkie with trailer) / Min altitude: 0km / Max altitude: 1270m

“So we’re leaving here at 6am, ok?” Those were the words that had us at R-O-V-Rat’s doorstep Thursday evening already. Friday morning, rolling
out of bed took a little longer for Oom Eikeboom than the rest of us, but, true to his words, the wheels rolled just before daybreak.

Fitting 2 people into the backseat of the SuperCab Ford Ranger was surprisingly easy and we settled in for the the trip. The Veldskoen Padstal
was a welcome sight and our breakfast stop.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Refueled (us) and secured (the bikes) we hit the N1 to Beaufort West. From there it was straight through to Bethulie with a couple of driver swaps
along the way.

5.jpg

6.jpg

11 hours and 950km later we finally found Ou Vellies Bike-packers on the other side of Bethulie, a welcome sight indeed! We were warmly welcomed by
Peter & Annette and their stunning venison pies and muffins.

7.jpg

After unloading the bikes, we packed the bakkie away for it’s 9 day stay in Bethulie. The bikes also had a roof over their heads for the night.

8.jpg

map1.jpg

Day 2 - “I fell! Why didn’t anybody take a photo?!” - Riaan
Distance traveled: 300km / Min altitude: 1270m / Max altitude: 2500m

Murphy’s Law #324 - “Warn other people enough times about a danger to look out for and you will forget about looking yourself”

Just after 8 we departed Bethulie under heavy, grey skies.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Annette had insisted I don my rainsuit when we left the Ou Vellies and, as she’d predicted, the rain started soon after we left.

3.jpg

We stopped in Zastron for some breakfast and a new rainsuit for Riaan. Here we discovered the biltong and everybody stocked up for Lesotho – we’ll
be needing our protein  ;)

4.jpg

5.jpg

Our next stop – Telle Bridge border control.

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

My first impressions of Lesotho was the overpowering smell of passion fruit – we later found the plant responsible – people and taxi’s. This soon
changed to beautifull scenery and water everywhere! Our first obligatory police roadblock went without a hitch and the winding route to Lake Letsie
started.

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Riaan had warned us endlessly about the slippery watercrossings – probably the only surface I haven’t fallen on, yet – so when I heard a crash behind
me I immediately stopped. We all rushed to make sure he was ok, in the process forgetting to grap a photo. He was understandibly upset...  :D

21.jpg

22.jpg

When we reached Lake Letsie, our camping spot for the night, the rain let up only long enough for us to put up tents. By 7:30 we were all in bed and
mostly passed out.

map2.jpg

Day 3 - Camping inside the river’s flood-line - not our brightest moment...
Distance traveled: 280km / Min altitude: 1430m / Max altitude: 2560m

Daybreak had us up and the bikes reloaded a little slower than the day before. First destination for the day – Ongeluksnek Pass.
It sounded very ... encouraging – I should have guessed what we were in for by the huge grins the
guys were sporting.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

About a third down, Charl and Cornelis decided to go all the way to the bottom while Riaan and I slowly made our way back to the top of Lake Letsie.
They caught up with us in no time at all ;)

7.jpg

Hopping back on the A4, we continued our journey to Mphaki.

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

Around 4 we decided to call it a day – the guys sped off into the bundu’s looking for a suitable place to camp while I made sure the road stayed exactly
where it was.  They found a beautiful spot right next to the river and we pitched camp for the second night. Disgusted with ourselves for being in bed
so early the previous night, we attempted a social evening in Riaan and Charl’s tent – we were only in bed by 8:30 this time. A thunderstorm had started
making itself heard by nightfall and Cornelis had instructions to shout if he started drifting downriver!

18.jpg

19.jpg

map3.jpg