The rookie(s) are heading north ... the rewards are endless

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyHarry

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
It is more than 12 month ago since Claudi and I had our introduction into the DS riding. Our first trip saw us doing Sani pass with all the dirt roads in between and we both loved it. We called ourselves the DS rookies last year and nothing has changed. I did not get much mileage on the bike other than a few day trips to the Cederberg or the odd commuting to town. I have not gone over the DS rookie status yet, I am afraid.
After our trip last year we both agreed that we should do that kind of thing at least once a year.

Life can be a bitch at times and things can throw you out of balance quite easily. We had a very good season in our guest house and saved enough money to carry us through the winter. 6 weeks ago I checked the balance on my statement and there was a not a cent left. What the F****ck.                          
I found out that someone got hold of my banking details and used a similar signature to transfer all the available cash to a Chinese banking account.
We still don’t have our money back and sometimes I am wondering if there is any justice in our world.                    
Let me tell you so much. Never ever think your money is safe in a bank, it is not. And don’t expect the bank to help you much in recovering your funds, they give a damn. And by the way this happened at a German bank, where I thought our money would be a lot safer.

So we quietly called off any  plans to head out for further DS adventures this year. After doing all the outstanding renovations in our apartments and sending endless mails to the bank and the investigating police, we both felt that we should do something else than feeling sorry for our self because of the happened bank fraud.
Claudi wanted to visit the grandchildren and the rest of the family in our home country and I decided to stay put, until the case would be solved and we hopefully will receive our money back.
Before my wife’s departure to Europe she wisely told me: “Harry, just head out with the bike for a couple of days to clear your head and forget the bank story for a while “.
At first I thought very rationally, that this trip would be a further strain to our now ‘dried out‘ finances, but in real terms life is too short to worry about numbers only.

Now the preparation of the bike trip was in full swing, but first I had to deal with a slipping clutch. I also did a full service on the bike.
01.jpg

P1020038.jpg

The new E-10 is looking good.
02.jpg

My highly advanced TB synchro. I can’t believe the difference,  that engine is so smooth now.
03.jpg

And funny enough I did feel much better already, despite the extra money I’ve spent for the bike preparation.
The bike is ready. Now, where to go? How long and how to get there?  Claudi is usually the more organized person in our family and I try to do her justice in planning a trip well in advance before we head off.
Wife is gone and now, I can do things my own way. I only have to choose the direction and the rest of trip will follow. I decided to head north.

Namibia, here I come.  
Namibia2011001.jpg

As a real bike rookie, I have never been riding a bike in sand and probably will go over the handle bars a couple of times.
That bike will be a handful to lift up on my own if I go down.
15 years ago we travelled Namibia with our 4x4 and I always wanted to go back there.  I am sure the experience will be more intense on two wheels, than it was sitting behind the window of a cage.    

My ride report will follow.