Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: They left yesterday  (Read 1271 times)

masehare

They left yesterday
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2007, 09:58:13 am »
Quote from: "lecap"
Quote from: "Gulp"

McGregor saddles up for 15,000 miles of motorbike marathon

The journey will see father-of-three McGregor and Boorman bike down through Europe and into Africa,
ending at the continent's most southerly point, Cape Town in South Africa.

:shock:

I assume that Gulp suffers from morbus computicus copypastus and copied and pasted without verifying contents.

This is punishable by copying & pasting the following at least 100 times:

Cape Town is not Africas Southernmost town.
L'Agulhas is Africas Southernmost town.
The Cape of Good Hope is not Africas Southernmost point.
Cape Agulhas is Africas Southernmost point.

Authors and editors of the copied article of course also qualify for the same punishment.  :cheers:

Will the two actually go to L'Agulhas or realize on arrival at the wooden sign at the Cape of Good Hope that they went the wrong way down :roll:

Or will they finish on the cordoned off car park of the Table Bay :scratch:

Luckily the BBC has the facts right:

"Cape Agulhas - the most southerly tip of Africa and the end of Charley and Ewan's epic journey. It marks the official dividing line between the Atlantic and Indian Oceans (although the Cape of Good Hope is better known), and is notorious among sailors for its winter storms and huge waves."

:)

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
They left yesterday
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2007, 12:05:36 pm »
I watched Long Way Round this weekend. I must say I was disappointed in the America part. Tar roads and Fast Food on the GPS. Please. The difficult parts ware the best! Then I realized  :shock: - it's going to be the same in SA... Damn. So many dirt roads in SA and they are probably going to take the tar from JHB to CT. BMW will insist otherwise only 2% of GS riders will see them...  :wink:

Present company excluded of course...  :D

Offline bmad

• Wannabe Poser
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • Vintage Motorcycle Club
They left yesterday
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2007, 12:41:36 pm »
That is too true Trailrider (about the 2% of GS Riders)

That is why there was a motion to meet up with them, so that we can show them that there is some real tough stuff in SA, besides the WD's. :lol:

The problem is though, that if they only travel on the dirt and go through the townships, then the world will think that this is how SA looks.
Unfortunately the Brits and the Yanks are a bit slow in that department (rural Africa you know) :wink:
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

GS-holic

They left yesterday
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2007, 01:10:19 pm »
Quote from: "bmad"

The problem is though, that if they only travel on the dirt and go through the townships, then the world will think that this is how SA looks.
Unfortunately the Brits and the Yanks are a bit slow in that department (rural Africa you know) :wink:

True - according to the posts on the advrider.com site, Africa is DARK AND DANGEROUS -  Ooo scary shit.  Also, documenting their journey through SA with only townships and taxi ranks as a backdrop can only further promote our country as a rough wilderness with free roaming dangerous animals, a country occupied by people that that are detached from the real world.

This might not be such a bad thing after all - keep the Real South Africa to ourselves.

PS: I've heard somewhere that SA was 3rd on the list of the countries with the highest BMW bike sales for 2006/2007. :lol: