Help please! Dakar instrument cluster "deurmekaar"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

ReyDakar

I ride a 2006 Dakar and about 6 weeks ago the odometer reset to zero.  Since then the instrument panel is doing strange things:
Speedo and tacho needles drops to zero and fuel reserve light comes on for a split second.  The odometer/trip meter and clock then resets to zero.  This would happen about four times during my 25 kilometer commute.

Sometimes the needles would get stuck or displays higher than actual speed and revs.  When I stopped at home the needles slowly moved back.

This weekend I replaced the instrument panel with a second hand one and initially everything seemed to be back to normal.  To my dismay, after only 120 kilometers it started again.  This time only the tacho needle dropped, the reserve light came on and the clock reset to zero. On the odometer it lost 1 kilometer. 

I’ve checked the battery terminals and the connections to the instrument panel.  They appear to be fine.  The bike starts at the push of the button and runs fine.

Where do I look next?

Thanks,
Ethan