Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: South african customs: avoid Johannesburg/Durbs  (Read 1176 times)

Offline yahoo

• Puppy
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • Teamprinsloo goes AWOL...
South african customs: avoid Johannesburg/Durbs
« on: June 21, 2011, 05:45:42 pm »
So you want to ride south(ern) africa on your own steed? Then please learn from us:

We sent our bikes from Perth Australia to Johannesburg on a boat. The estimated time frame for such a journey was 35 days, estimated date 9 June.
The bikes arrived at the docks in Durban on the 6th of June so everything was on schedule. By the 13th they arrived in Jo'burg, the paperwork and payment in place.
This is when the fun started.
First our agent had to arrange a customs inspection, because we were'nt alowed near the bikes without at least two middle men involved. On the 15th the inspection was done and still there was hope.
For some reason the South african customs officials could not bring themselves to fill in a few lines on a carnet and shove two stamps next to their scribbles. It took untill today, the 21st, for them to get this sorted. Giving weak excuses such as: "We've moved premises", "We can't find the stamp" and my favourite: "The man who does the stamps is sick today".

Meanwhile back at the warehouse we're being charged over 800 rand a day for the privilege of keeping our bikes in their facility.
When asked who is going to pay the warehouse costs, all SA customs had to say is: "Eets not our prawblem". The warehouse was just as sympathetic, although they at least had a case.

In the end we had to fork out 8159 rand to get the bikes through customs and another 3500 rand in express service customs costs and warehousing for three days.
 :angry4: :angry4:

In summary, if you want to come to south africa to ride a bike my advice would be to A:hire a bike   B:buy one here or C: go to cape town and try your luck there.

Ranting over, tomorrow we finally get the bikes and all will be forgotten. Now time for a few Castle draughts to soothe the pain.

Ciao ciao

Online chicco

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Never give up.
Re: South african customs: avoid Johannesburg/Durbs
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 05:53:56 pm »
Welcome to the land of crime, corruption and malema  :mwink: hopefully the riding will make up for it. If your up my are give me a call, will show you some zulu hospitality
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 950S, KTM 990, KTM 990S, KTM 990R

Offline yahoo

• Puppy
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 06:19:30 pm »
Thanks bud,
Chicco drop me a pm with your details and we'll be there beer in panniers!

Offline KiLRoy

• Kaptein Duiwel
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kaptein Duiwel - vriend van Beau Brummel
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 06:32:19 pm »
Sorry to hear about this shitty service mate - our customs need to up there game for sure.  Hope the riding makes up for this, most certainly the exchange rate will ;).  shout if you need anything from the Dogs - sure as hell we'll make up for this ito hospitality :thumleft:  Be careful on our roads, not as safe as the roads in Oz, expect bad driving and potholes.  BUT enjoy the country and its people - for sure :thumleft:

Offline laurika

• hoessenaam van hydrabad...
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • helmet hair is very cool....everyone says so
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 06:39:15 pm »
welcome to SA...i hope the people and the beautifull riding would more than make up for this mess....a bad start, things can only look up!! :thumleft:

"There is no happiness for him who does not travel...Therefore, wander... The fortune of him who is sitting sits, it rises when he rises, it sleeps when he sleeps, it moves when he moves... Therefore, wander!"...The Rig Veda - 800 - 600 BC..

bmw F650GS/ XT 660 R

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 10:36:03 pm »
Really sorry to hear. You had the wrong agent for a go, few other bikers shipped to Cape town and had zero problems.

Enjoy SA  :thumleft:

Offline Veldbrand

• Super Saaiber Slet
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Hou die blink kant in!
    • Koedoeskloof Country Lodge
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 06:21:15 am »
Eisch! Sawrie abouta thee prawblem....

But welcome and since that has now all been sorted, hope you have a good time.
How about giving us a rough idea of your intended route and how long you're here for.
Always fun to meet new fellow riders and remember the Dogs will always help where needed.
Just bark.

Co-ordinates: S33 30.300 E21 10.258  http://www.koedoeskloof.co.za/  facebook - Koedoeskloof Country Lodge, Dwarsrivier, Ladismith, WC
Life is like hitch hiking, just when you think you're not going to get a lift, you don't.

Offline Aquatic

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
    • Ratel Engineering Design
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 06:49:56 am »
all SA customs had to say is: "Eets not our prawblem".

Love it. You haven't been there 2 weeks and already you know how it works and have the accent down pat. :imaposer:

Enjoy it mate, you won't regret it. And the riding will definately make up for it!
And be careful of the "WildDogs", we can be too friendly and helpful sometimes!!! :thumleft:
Being Aussie, you will get a bit of "stick" though.

Envious
The conundrum that is life...
You have to be absolutely smashed to have the guts to attempt it,
But perfectly sober to achieve any success!

Offline Fudmucker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 07:42:44 am »
Welcome to Africa, Mate !
I'd say it's not unique to Johannesburg - try any other port of entry into the continent and you'll likely find the same service level.  People don't actually work here, they have 'earning opportunities'.
(In Mexico it's "Maņana...".  In Africa it's "The man who does the stamps is sick today".
Sadly, I think they were just looking for a cut of the R800 wharehouse fee...?)

Now that you're here, put entry aside and enjoy the ride!
The WD's are friendly and as long as you don't talk Cricket or Rugby, they are also well behaved.
Also expect to be goaded by the other side if you ride either a BMW or KTM.
Brand loyalty is still affected by knee-jerk response to Hitler's Anschluss of Austria in the 1930's...  :eek7:

ENJOY and RIDE SAFE!  :thumleft:
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.
I do not intend to attend every argument I am invited to.
I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline yahoo

• Puppy
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 09:54:31 pm »
Thanks for all the warm welcomes guys.  :thumleft:

I've got a little confession though: I'm from SA  :peepwall: Although I mostly live in the UK now, it says Oz in my info 'cos thats where we were when I joined wilddogs. We've been travelling around a fair bit and I forgot to change my location, soz!

Good to see you're giving the auzzies stick though. I got a lot of lip from them when we were there.
Keep up the good work!  :biggrin:

We've (I've) only got to do a cheeky service on the machines and stick on our brand new WD stickers then it's officially playtime.
I dont mind BMW's, some of my best friends ride them for some reason...

Offline Krip

• Puppy
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
    • www.rideforsmiles.com
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 05:03:51 pm »
Hey guys im in Johannasburg waiting for my bike being flown over from Australia by Qantas due anyday hopefully dont have those issues you had with customs, cost me $2100 aus which is just over 15000 rand, i rode it to the airport last wednesday and will be here any day,  by the way im an aussie and when we stand on the coast and listen hard enough we say you can hear the South Africans whinging, thats just to let you know it aint going to be all one way traffic lol
The Reward for Choice is Freedom

Offline Krip

• Puppy
    • www.rideforsmiles.com
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 02:04:49 pm »
Ok my bike arrived in 6 days from me riding it to Qantas in Sydney to sitting outside my room at the Sunrock guesthouse in kempton park Johannasburg. I went over to the Swiss cargo joint about 3 minutes from here grabbed my paperwork from them drove up to the customs house big grey building up the road at the end of the freight terminal 1st floor counter 5 they called one of the guys from upstairs 5 minutes later he's taking me upstairs wait another 5 minutes my carnet is stamped go back down stairs pay the 10 rand parking fee just inside the main entrance to the building, drive back up to Swiss cargo give them my paperwork pay 180 rand, 25 aussie dollars, they take me to my gear in a bag and my bike i say ill take my gear go get my helmet and be back. Take my gear back the few minutes to the Sunrock guest house grab my helmet and walk the 10 or so minutes back over to the freight terminal grab my bike sign for it and ride away, to bloody easy. You may save some money shipping it but boy quick no dramas all done no damage other than a little scratch on the top of one of the panniers and im back at the Sunrock Guesthouse within an hour and a half of deciding to go see if my bike was there. Thanks qantas and everyone involved highly reccomend that process. If your thinking of bringing your bike I have no hesitation recommending that way. Ive posted the sydney side of organising on Advrider so if you need any details check my blog Rideforsmiles in there or message me for the link.
Cheers
Sheldon
www.rideforsmiles.com

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 02:31:41 pm »
Welcome Sheldon - and be sure that any welcomes above extend to you as well - if there's anything you need want, even just another soul to share a beer with, I'm sure you would have no wont for responses!!!

Enjoy, and ride safe.
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Fudmucker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 08:01:36 am »
Howzit Sheldon!  ;D

Welcome to Africa.  Enjoy your trip!   :thumleft:

You will not be the same person when you leave.
Africa tends to change people in a most profound manner...
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.
I do not intend to attend every argument I am invited to.
I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline Krip

• Puppy
    • www.rideforsmiles.com
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 01:23:41 pm »
Thanks for the welcome ill be in Johannasburg for a few more days then heading over to Durban and then following the coast to Cape Town thats the basic route for me so far

Offline yahoo

• Puppy
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 08:02:16 am »
Yea flying seems to be the way forward.
Although we saved a lot of money shipping it, the amount of hassle doesn't make it worth it. My hat goes off to the guys at MS Cargo though who were my customs clearance guys in JHB. They rang me yesterday and managed to get 1700 rand back from the warehouse. Schweet.

According to Hugo whom I dealt with at MS, this was the biggest bols-up that they've had the privilege to have dealt with. So maybe just our luck. Three years ago I had lazer eye surgery and the machine broke halfway through cutting my left eye...so not impossible my luck gave away on a different continent.