Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DRZ 400's Got one and want to hear from other owners..  (Read 586 times)

Offline Heddles

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
DRZ 400's Got one and want to hear from other owners..
« on: June 21, 2011, 09:03:34 pm »
Hey Guys..... I recently bought a DRZ400E.. I thought the motor was a bit noisy, opened her up and replaced the only bearings that seemed a bit rough.. mains... Put it back together and it is quieter but I still feel maybe a bit noisy. Bike has done a mysteriously high mileage but motor is pristine inside.. Any owners out there want to comment on the level of mechanical noise their bikes produce? Power, smoothness, general performance, I feel is good. Seems noisy at idle and at low revs. Quietens down as you rev it...

Offline MildDog

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
Re: DRZ 400's Got one and want to hear from other owners..
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 10:58:27 pm »
Go to the DRZ thread! and post pics.

They're loud bikes. Especially if oil is on the low side (check it OFTEN), they sound rough, lots of metal on metal. Cams and rockers make a noise. Something to do with the automatic cam chain tensioner, I think. Change oil regularly and enjoy :)
I crash test all of my safety gear. Do you?

Offline Heddles

• Race Dog
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 05:43:43 am »
Yeah, oil level is checked often, I am pathetic about that.. Noise sounds to be coming from the crank area, maybe a big end, or possibly even a bit of piston slap. But I have had the motor open and everything is well within manufacturer's tolerances..

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 09:37:36 am »
Cam tension the Auto or Manual?

they are noisy engines.
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Offline MildDog

• Race Dog
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 10:15:46 am »
I don't know enough about engines to be able to identify the various sounds (piston slap, etc), if you have time swing past Tim at TMC on Waterkant, let him listen to it.

But we also need to hear from Bus and Sidetrack on this :)

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 11:49:29 am »
I'd say if your mains were shot your big end will not be pristine any more either.
Excessive piston slap unlikely on this engine. If present very clear signs visible after disassembly.
Also worthwhile to check small end carefully for oval wear. Often fond in high mileage big singles.

Another possibility is balancer shaft bearings. Rather rare.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 03:28:24 pm »
DRZ motors are noisy, you should hear a RFS  :o
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Glenn Foley

• Forum Vendor
  • Puppy
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 03:47:58 pm »
Brilliant, bulletproof bike though - I had mine for about 5 years, 2 Roofs, lots of outrides - big bore kit etc, but MAN, i wish they had fitted a kickstarter for when the battery went flat - i reckon i pushed it for a few hundred kays too. Never had a noisy motor though...

Offline Heddles

• Race Dog
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 07:06:10 pm »
Ha ha ha.... That kickstarter is a must add on... I plant to fit one as I go along.. I will surely find bits to keep mine sorted..
To return to the replaced parts list.. As I Mentioned, I stripped the motor and checked every part according to the specs and measurements, according to a SUZUKI workshop manual for the bike. The tolerances are well within their limits.. They are on a whole, on average, at about 30% of the given tolerances.. For example. The given measurement for deflection on the con rod, is 3mm.. (wear limit) Yes, I know this sounds like a lot, but if you had to see how it is measured, You would understand, it isn't. My motor's deflection is 0.5mm Pistin to bore clearance, is less than half of the maximum spec.. Motor is really nice inside... Not a trace of any metal filings.. Camchain tensioner, manual and correctly tensioned..

Noise is mainly at idle and at low revs under light throttle.. load it a bit against the clutch in gear and it goes away.. Very strange.. Performance I think is very good and at higher revs, it is quiet..

Bike was brought in a good few years ago from Mexico. Apparently did the Baja.. Not the race but the route, in some sort of arranged rally...

Offline Kenzogs

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 09:39:19 pm »
Hi, also got a DRZ400E and have just acquired a 2010 DRZ400SM. I bought the SM as an insurance write off and then found that only the left hand radiator and the handlebars needed replacement so it's back on the road. I also have DRZ400E that just needs a new engine (bought it with 1/2 an engine in a box).

The engine is a bit noisy but I found that at about 20000 kays it started rattling more. When I checked the barrel there were well defined ring marks at the top of the barrel. Put in new rings and rattling was gone. I suspect it happened because when I first got it I often used the low down torque when I should have been in a lower gear.

My daughter wants the SM but I was planning to turn it into a adventure type with my spare E rims etc. Still got to decide.

Have 2 mates up here with E's who regularly ride backroads at weekends or CATS rides.
You can never get lost - you just reach a different destination.
Every road has to lead somewhere - even if it is a dead-end.

Offline Heddles

• Race Dog
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 10:13:27 pm »
Hey buddy....

You see.. that's where I don't understand. I have been a qualified motor mechanic for 30 plus years. Bikes are a hobby. I have built loads of them very successfully. I don't cut corners, I only use genuine spares, unless I am building a skorro skorro to just mess around with.. My motors do high mileage. Believe in don't fiddle if it's not fucked..
I don't even think of fiddling on a bike if I don't have a good manual. My car motors do well in excess of 200 000 k's before they start to use oil.

Suzuki must surely have all the info you should need to make sure that everything is within a workable limit in the manual for this bike. I mean a grand for the paper.. It has to be worth it's fat..

Well, I spent a good few hours going through bit for bit. According to what they say. Everything... Remember.. A mechanic for 30 years. I know what to look for. I also know what to check when I can't find the source.. EVERYTHING!!!

It's all well within spec... And I mean well within and everything..
The bike is one of the best things I have ridden in years. I am used to really basic bikes and I have ridden just about anything. I would ride the DRZ through Africa without batting an eyelid..

Think I should just try and get hold of another few and listen to their motors.. Compare..

Offline N[]vA

• Grey hound
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 10:30:42 am »
Hey buddy....

You see.. that's where I don't understand. I have been a qualified motor mechanic for 30 plus years. Bikes are a hobby. I have built loads of them very successfully. I don't cut corners, I only use genuine spares, unless I am building a skorro skorro to just mess around with.. My motors do high mileage. Believe in don't fiddle if it's not fucked..
I don't even think of fiddling on a bike if I don't have a good manual. My car motors do well in excess of 200 000 k's before they start to use oil.

Suzuki must surely have all the info you should need to make sure that everything is within a workable limit in the manual for this bike. I mean a grand for the paper.. It has to be worth it's fat..

Well, I spent a good few hours going through bit for bit. According to what they say. Everything... Remember.. A mechanic for 30 years. I know what to look for. I also know what to check when I can't find the source.. EVERYTHING!!!

It's all well within spec... And I mean well within and everything..
The bike is one of the best things I have ridden in years. I am used to really basic bikes and I have ridden just about anything. I would ride the DRZ through Africa without batting an eyelid..

Think I should just try and get hold of another few and listen to their motors.. Compare..
Where about in Cape Town are you?

Offline Heddles

• Race Dog
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 12:39:30 pm »
I live in Claremont.... Across the road from Kenilworth centre..

Offline MildDog

• Race Dog
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 01:07:03 pm »
You are welcome to come and have a listen/look/ride my DRZ anytime, I'm on the other end of claremont- on the edge of bishopscourt.

N[]va's engine is SUPER quiet these days. It's a soothing sound. Lol.

Offline Heddles

• Race Dog
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 01:20:55 pm »
Cool man.. I will contact you in the next few days... Thanks...

Offline N[]vA

• Grey hound
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 01:50:00 pm »
N[]va's engine is SUPER quiet these days. It's a soothing sound. Lol.

-.-