Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Milddog's DRZ pimp thread  (Read 7623 times)

Offline Etienne2T

• Mr.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dinosaur
Re: Milddog's DRZ pimp thread
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 09:34:17 pm »
Its part of thumpertalks shipping thing, cheapest option

Offline MildDog

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2010, 09:42:51 am »
Maxxis back tire = scary shit. but strangely fun. Driving on a moderately damp road this morning geared down, the back locked up and i started sliding sideways (+-40kms/hour) at the car parked about 3 meters away. quick thinking, clutch, front brake, adjust and i went around him. i am getting good at letting the back tire slide about :)

I love my bike :)

the dude with the second hand tank wants to charge me $265. That is more/the same as what TT will charge me for a brand new tank. Chop. I will be waiting a few months and then doing a large order from them.
I crash test all of my safety gear. Do you?

Offline MildDog

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2010, 09:29:36 am »
BUMP. hahaha.

I am trying to re-install the tank on my bike, took it off to thread the HID wiring. and I am succeeding in threading the two screws on either side quite badly. Is there some trick to putting the tank bank on? I get the screws 3/4 of the way in and then they just get stuck.

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2010, 09:52:10 am »
No idea why you should have that problem.
Are the screws or the holes stripped?
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline MildDog

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2010, 10:10:01 am »
No idea why you should have that problem.
Are the screws or the holes stripped?

the screws looked fine, will spray Q20 on the screws and into the holes and try again later. but the screw heads were quite threaded already. maybe the holes are full of grit or something.

Offline MildDog

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2010, 08:51:21 am »
Throttle cables routed wrong, some wiring in the way etc etc.

I bought new bolts and that sorted the problem out :) the bolts that were in there were not the Suzuki ones. Neither are the new ones, but they fit better and for 16 assorted bolts it cost R3.

I have a terrible problem. Whenever I strip my bike I lose bolts or confuse where they are meant to go. Two bolts just disappeared this time. So the new bolts went into the tank and the old ones had to go into the mounts for my luggage  racks.

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Forum Whore
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2010, 10:44:40 am »

I bought new bolts and that sorted the problem out :) the bolts that were in there were not the Suzuki ones. Neither are the new ones, but they fit better and for 16 assorted bolts it cost R3.

I have a terrible problem. Whenever I strip my bike I lose bolts or confuse where they are meant to go. Two bolts just disappeared this time. So the new bolts went into the tank and the old ones had to go into the mounts for my luggage  racks.
o.O!

better make a habbit of noting where bolts go, use differant plastic cups/tubs or what ever and keep every thing as it should be
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2010, 11:30:57 am »

o.O!

better make a habbit of noting where bolts go, use differant plastic cups/tubs or what ever and keep every thing as it should be

or take pics when you disassemble something
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline N[]vA

• Forum Whore
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2010, 11:52:41 am »

o.O!

or take pics when you disassemble something
Yep that too.

I did that with my 990 for every thing, untill I learnt to remember it all. nowadays I have a full workshop manual on my tablet pc every time I do anything

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2010, 10:16:26 am »
A T-bar & 30mm socket and a piece of fence pipe.
The shiftie is perfect to ruin the nut & strip skin off knuckles.

You'll need the socket to tighten the nut too as you don't get torque wrench shifties ;D

... and for 16 assorted bolts it cost R3...

Take a close look at your R 3 bolts.

If the heads are marked with 4.5 ; 4.6; 4.8 or 5.6 or don't have any markings at all throw them away, book as R3 lesson learned and buy decent bolts:

Decent quality bolts carry markings like 8.8 , 10.9 , and 12.9
Decent quality stainless bolts are marked A2-70 or A4-80

Wrote a detailed thread about this a while ago.

Quintessence: Do not buy bolts from the Builders Warehouse and stainless is NOT always a good idea.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline MildDog

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2010, 10:37:29 am »

You'll need the socket to tighten the nut too as you don't get torque wrench shifties ;D

If the heads are marked with 4.5 ; 4.6; 4.8 or 5.6 or don't have any markings at all throw them away, book as R3 lesson learned and buy decent bolts:

Quintessence: Do not buy bolts from the Builders Warehouse and stainless is NOT always a good idea.

I think they all say 4.6 on them :( they are from 'bolt-it' the industrial fasteners shop in Diep River. Where is that thread? I want to learn more about bolts.

I need to invest in some decent tools. I only have basic spanners, screwdrivers and allan-keys. I want to get a sprocket/ratchet set next. What is the difference between that and a T-Bar? Where can I get this stuff that isn't going to cost me a fortune? :(

Thanks Jurgen  :thumleft:

Offline MildDog

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2010, 10:42:06 am »
So crossed-up very generously helped me to fit my chain and sprockets today. Turns out I was riding a 15-45. I am now riding a 14-44. Which feels kind of the same, a little shorter but not much...

Offline grego

• Bike: Honda XR650R
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2010, 12:02:51 pm »

I think they all say 4.6 on them :( they are from 'bolt-it' the industrial fasteners shop in Diep River. Where is that thread? I want to learn more about bolts.

I need to invest in some decent tools. I only have basic spanners, screwdrivers and allan-keys. I want to get a sprocket/ratchet set next. What is the difference between that and a T-Bar? Where can I get this stuff that isn't going to cost me a fortune? :(

Thanks Jurgen  :thumleft:
Bolt-it in Dipe River sometimes has some nice socket sets on special.
Also try Makro. Get something decent (that has a lifetime warranty).
I find you ideally need 2 sockets sets for a bike... a 1/2'' drive set for the big bolts (suspension, engine mounts, chasis bolts) and a 1/4'' set for the smaller bolts as access is usually a problem with the big 1/2'' sockets. Usually 1/4'' sets go up to a 13mm socket... so if most of the work you are doing involves smaller bolts (13mm head and under) get a 1/4'' set to start.
you can always buy a 1/2'' drive later and just buy individual sockets as you need them.

The people at Bolt it are pretty helpful, so next time tell them what you'll be using the bolts for and they'll give you something better suited to the application.  :thumleft:

Offline MildDog

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2010, 11:03:24 pm »
So, finally finished my HID install  :thumleft:

It took me about 2 weeks to do, on and off, I rode with the ballast taped to my speedo for a few days as well!

Thanks to Crossed-up for the all the install help.

I bought a cheapo HID kit from China Town for R350.

I bought a super-cool Polisport shroud from Bus.

The first problem was fitting the bulb into the shroud. I used the polisport bulb holder, removed the bulb and pushed the HID bulb through the middle. Some tape and silicone sealed it up and keeps it in place :)

Another problem with the polisport shroud is it 'leaks' alot of light out the top, so at night the HID reflects into my eyes. I solved this by putting black tape over the bit of the lens that shows from the top.

Then i had to move the wires out the way of the way, I simply moved the clutch cable to the outside of the wires and this pulled everything towards the bike (yes, I thought it was smart too, just hope it doesn't break anything).

Then in comes crossed-up, he gave me a piece of ally and then helped me bend and cut it to look like this.

Double-sided tape and some cable ties secured the HID ballast to the crossed-up metal plate.

And then with some fiddling I put it all back together. See:

And that is my first real 'mod' on my bike. Yes its fairly simple to do and there are more pics than needed but it rocks :) it's KARK bright. Obnoxiously so. There is actually a noticeable difference in traffic, cars in front of me move much quickly out my way.

And here is an image of it on, it doesn't do it justice. I got a severe headache taking this picture. NICE :)

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 11:15:43 pm by MildDog »

Offline Slowmow

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • GO BIG OR GO HOME !!
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2010, 01:09:21 am »
Please post a pic or two of the light in action. Down the road, against a wall. Use dim in one set of pics and bright in another set.
2008 KLR650
AirAge Pipe
HID LIGHTS
Twin air horn, 115db @2m
22c Mod www.klrclan.co.za - Member

Offline MildDog

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2010, 10:24:44 am »
Please post a pic or two of the light in action. Down the road, against a wall. Use dim in one set of pics and bright in another set.

Will do tonight, but the difference between dim and bright is simply the angle of the light :) as far as I can tell there's no difference in light emission.

Offline N[]vA

• Forum Whore
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2010, 10:28:58 am »

Will do tonight, but the difference between dim and bright is simply the angle of the light :) as far as I can tell there's no difference in light emission.
yep, it just lifts the buld up for brights

Offline MildDog

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2010, 11:09:07 pm »
yeah, looking at it again tonight it looks fairly waterproof... I may cling-film it but nothing more.

Offline MildDog

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2010, 12:46:18 am »
I drowned my DRZ today on an epic outride (http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=52659)... I will be draining the oil tomorrow. Teach me how to undrown a bike?

So far I know:
1) drain oil
2) remove plugs (buy new ones?)

I know engine flush should be used (how?) and then drain it, put in cheap oil, 15-20km ride, drain it, put in good oil.

What bits am I missing? (except for the technical know-how?!)

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2010, 04:57:10 am »
You got it pretty much summarized. If you have a washable air filter, was and dry and ad air filter oil – or replace if paper element. You don’t need to replace the spark plug, make use of the opportunity and check the gab and clean the ‘electrode. If the air cleaner got flooded, you’ll have to clean the carb (not sure if your bike is carb or EFI)as well, there should be a drain screw (not sure about the DRZ) at the bottom of the carb.