Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Milddog's DRZ pimp thread  (Read 7630 times)

Offline MildDog

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
Re: Milddog's DRZ pimp thread
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2010, 11:14:29 am »
What size plug spanners does this bike take? I am borrowing from a friend and don't have time to work it out before I need to go fetch them!?!?!

DRZ simming = fail.

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=52677.0
I crash test all of my safety gear. Do you?

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Forum Whore
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2010, 11:15:11 am »
What size plug spanners does this bike take? I am borrowing from a friend and don't have time to work it out before I need to go fetch them!?!?!

DRZ simming = fail.

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=52677.0
17 or wait 13...

any how what ever the size I have one you can borrow
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 11:17:19 am by N[]vA »
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Offline MildDog

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2010, 01:49:39 am »
as mentioned elsewhere, i dropped my bike in some water this weekend.

i have since drained the oil, full of mud and water and weird shit. and will put in cheap oil, engine flush, and cheap filter, run it for 20kms and drain again. then i'll put in the good stuff. i have also drained the carb and will do air filter tomorrow.

BUT

there seems to water around the spark plug, which worries me much more, i tipped the bike basically upside down (with no oil or spark plug) in it and nothing came out. how do i dry the inside of the cylinder? i put the bike in fifth and pushed it about 10 meters, without the plug in, but again no sign of water.

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2010, 08:38:21 am »
Crank the motor (with spark-plug removed) with the starter for a few seconds.  This swings the motor fast enough to get rid of almost all the water. Put the plug back in.  Make sure the engine has got oil in it and fire it up.  As long as the remaining water in the cylinder is appreciably less than the minimum swept volume it will be ejected on the first exhaust stroke when the engine fires.  In your bike's case the minimum swept volume is something like 40cc.
I don't know if your bike has a carb or FI.  If carb you should clean it.  You should also carefully drain a bit of fuel out of your tank into a glass jar to check there is no water in the fuel.  Water is denser than petrol and so you need to drain from the lowest point.  If there's water in the fuel it means it's also in the fuel pump and fuel line.  This is further PT.
Good luck!

Offline MildDog

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2010, 10:14:17 am »
Thanks John. How do I clean the carb? I've drained whatever was in there using the drainage screw and then tipped the bike over so there's no fuel in it. will drain out 500ml from the tank just to be sure. Then run it with carb/fuel line cleaner- will that do the trick? Or do i need to remove the carb and learn how to clean it properly?

Apart from stripping one bolt this has been fairly easy.

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2010, 11:25:58 am »
I would strongly advise you not to learn carburettor maintenance on your highly strung DRZ.  (Practise on somebody else's lawn mower first.)  If you've drained the float chamber that will be enough, I hope.  If you've run a bit of fuel out of your tank and it looks OK that might also be good enough.  I would only do more on the fuel system if it won't start or run properly.  Then the fun starts.

I suppose that it's unlikely that you will harm your engine if the fuel is contaminated, but you will wreck it if there's the slightest problem with the oil.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 11:26:37 am by Crossed-up »

Offline MildDog

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2010, 11:47:59 am »
I would strongly advise you not to learn carburettor maintenance on your highly strung DRZ.  (Practise on somebody else's lawn mower first.)  If you've drained the float chamber that will be enough, I hope.  If you've run a bit of fuel out of your tank and it looks OK that might also be good enough.  I would only do more on the fuel system if it won't start or run properly.  Then the fun starts.

I suppose that it's unlikely that you will harm your engine if the fuel is contaminated, but you will wreck it if there's the slightest problem with the oil.
:imaposer: :imaposer: ok. will try fire it up later on today!!

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2010, 12:09:48 pm »
All depends on how well you sank the bike.

Fully submerged until engine died is nasty.
Did you drain out water and start the bike immediately after submerging?

I would not ride the bike if there is a chance that you still have water in your oil. Rather warm up engine whilst idling & watch consistency and colour of oil. As soon as oil turns to milk coffee stop & drain. Replace oil until it remains oily. To save some cost & resources you may run the engine without oil filter after the first oil & filter change until you put your final oil fill in.

Worst case scenario is drowned in sea water. Involves flushing with diesel. No fun. Have fixed a number of salvaged outboard engines ::)
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline MildDog

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2010, 12:27:23 pm »
ok. so far:

dropped the oil. filled with diesel. took out plug. pushed it up the road in fifth. water came shooting out the cylinder.

so there is water above and below piston. will drain diesel and replace with oil ASAP. then try start it without the plug in.

Offline MildDog

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2010, 12:43:14 pm »
Thanks n[]va. will go buy one as soon as i have cash.

is there a way for water to be in my oil and in my cylinder that doesn't involve going via the rings and gaskets? i have water both sides of the piston and am worried this means i need to do a rebuild.

Offline N[]vA

• Forum Whore
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2010, 12:51:40 pm »

is there a way for water to be in my oil and in my cylinder that doesn't involve going via the rings and gaskets? i have water both sides of the piston and am worried this means i need to do a rebuild.

to the crank via the air box venting tube and to the cylinder via the carb as I understand it? I might be wrong though, give it a few minutes and zee Germans are sure to correct me :D

Call Jurgen and ask his advice, knows his technical shit uber well

Offline N[]vA

• Forum Whore
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2010, 12:57:47 pm »

WTF? Whats happening?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7CxUThRW7H0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/7CxUThRW7H0</a>

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2010, 03:11:06 pm »
Phew!!

Hope you get it fixed ASAP! :)
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline MildDog

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2010, 05:30:45 pm »
where does all the water come from?

drained out the diesel, i put in oil and flush and new filter. i pushed it round without the spark plug in, splashed lots of water out. then without the plug; swinging and swinging and swinging. all looked dry. closed it up. starter. no spark. huh. take out the plug. lots of water. swing: lots of water comes out  ??? hope i didn't damage anything. i swung it for less than 30 seconds when it was closed up.

battery is now flat. will jump it and swing some more.

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2010, 05:49:13 pm »
Ouch...hope you dont have damage there! Doesn't sound healthy  :o
Hope by now she is up and running...?

Offline MildDog

« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2010, 05:49:29 pm »
Phew!!

Hope you get it fixed ASAP! :)

Thanks, its proving a bit of a challenge! trying to get all the water out of the cylinder.

Offline MildDog

« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2010, 05:51:31 pm »
Ouch...hope you dont have damage there! Doesn't sound healthy  :o
Hope by now she is up and running...?

No, that was in the last ten minutes or so... waiting for the jumper cables to come home (in the boot of my mother's car), then will start again. Also a little bit worried about all that swinging with the spark plug in. Didn't sound particularly good. sh*t.

How do i get all the water out of the cylinder?

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2010, 06:02:13 pm »
Sounds like you busy breaking it as you go along sorry to say  :bueller:

Get the bike on a stand or something. Take the spark plug out. Take the sump plug out. Get a funnel and fill the cylinder from the top through the spark plug hole until the diesel starts dripping through the bottom or it start overflowing from the top. Stick the bike in the highest gear and turn the rear wheel by hand slowly forward to work the diesel out top and bottom. Do this until only diesel comes out - that's what I would do.

Did you get water in the exhaust? Don't try and start that bike until you are sure there are no more water in the motor. If it sucked in muddy water or dirt you will run bearings quicker than you dropped it!

Good luck.
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline MildDog

« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2010, 06:28:31 pm »
Sounds like you busy breaking it as you go along sorry to say  :bueller:

Get the bike on a stand or something. Take the spark plug out. Take the sump plug out. Get a funnel and fill the cylinder from the top through the spark plug hole until the diesel starts dripping through the bottom or it start overflowing from the top. Stick the bike in the highest gear and turn the rear wheel by hand slowly forward to work the diesel out top and bottom. Do this until only diesel comes out - that's what I would do.

Did you get water in the exhaust? Don't try and start that bike until you are sure there are no more water in the motor. If it sucked in muddy water or dirt you will run bearings quicker than you dropped it!

Good luck.

Thanks. that makes sense :) then how do i get the diesel out after?

Offline Poffmuis

• aka Newguy
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Rally rally rally
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2010, 07:39:09 pm »

turn bike upside down put it in 5th and turn the wheel backwards.... that way you wont compress any water

at least in theory it should work to get any water out
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 07:39:57 pm by Newguy »