Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Milddog's DRZ pimp thread  (Read 7643 times)

Offline Poffmuis

• aka Newguy
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Rally rally rally
Re: Milddog's DRZ pimp thread
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2010, 09:33:52 pm »
good to hear your up and running. make sure the bike is nice and hot when draining the oil and careful not to burn from the steam. open all filler/drain/breather plugs to ensure trapped steam can escape.

Offline MildDog

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2010, 09:39:43 pm »
good to hear your up and running. make sure the bike is nice and hot when draining the oil and careful not to burn from the steam. open all filler/drain/breather plugs to ensure trapped steam can escape.

thanks! the oil's getting clearer, done 2 changes so far, most oil comes out clean but the first 500ml is still coming out looking like a cappuccino, very dark with a bit of white foam on top.
I crash test all of my safety gear. Do you?

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2010, 09:25:42 am »
Milddog...............this whole episode must be a pain in the butt for you, but the spin-off is that you now know your bike more intimately and understand the ins and outs of it much better.

Maybe, someday in future this knowledge might help you (or another dawg) again.

Experience = Knowledge  :thumleft:

Offline MildDog

« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2010, 12:12:37 pm »
Milddog...............this whole episode must be a pain in the butt for you, but the spin-off is that you now know your bike more intimately and understand the ins and outs of it much better.

Maybe, someday in future this knowledge might help you (or another dawg) again.

Experience = Knowledge  :thumleft:

Apart from the chemical burn on my hands and the financial cost, I have REALLY enjoyed this whole episode. Provided no permanent damage has been done to the bike I am completely happy, it's been fun learning how to strip the bike down, and I am happy I now know how to un-drown a bike. It's also a nice distraction from the rest of my life, which at the moment is a bit stressful :) But yes, if any dogs drown their bikes in the near future I am very happy to help out, if I can.

Offline MildDog

« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2010, 11:18:22 pm »
I drowned the bike in a puddle over the weekend! So been rather busy with oil changes and such things.

I have a wiring problem somewhere on my bike, the lights are not turning on. Will find and fix soon.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 09:10:18 am by MildDog »

Offline MildDog

« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2010, 10:45:34 pm »
Ok. the bike lives.

so i will have used 12.5 liters of oil when this all over. i bought 10 liters for R180 (some horrible stuff from suburban spares) and then 2 liters of castrol actyvo for R120. i bought 5 oil filters, 4 kak and 1 decent, and have been using the kak ones and washing them in paraffin and re-using them. my bike takes 1.7 liters of oil so i have done 6 oil changes and 1 diesel wash so far. will do 2 more oil changes and be done with it.

there is almost no water left in the oil, which is now coming out clean except for white foam on top (before it was black with white foam). i'm also running the bike hotter and doing short trips to circulate the oil properly. i bought a trickle charger and have charged the battery, the first two days i was rolling down the hill at my house and bump starting the fark! i have also made a serious mess with the oil, will be cleaning that up once it's all done. and there is a connection problem somewhere with my HID light :( it's not working.

but the bike's running smooth again. i'll put some fuel system cleaner through it as soon as there is decent oil in the tank. i've also replaced the spark plug, the last one was black from corrosion and muck.

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2010, 06:42:53 am »
Great!  You probably need to put a bit of distance on the bike now.  The oil needs to get fully warmed for quite some time so that it can get rid of the volatile contaminants (water).  These are scavenged from the motor through the engine breather, into the air box and through the combustion process, and out the exhaust.  In the old days engines breathed directly into the atmosphere which simplified the process.  Now the health and safety police insist that we feed the kak from our engines through the carburetor and try to burn it.

Offline MildDog

« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2010, 09:07:19 am »
I was thinking that the warm-ups between oil changes should get longer and longer now, so maybe ride it for a day, then two days, then a week, then a month, then 3000kms... but that's a lot of PT!

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Forum Whore
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2010, 11:41:27 am »
So I need to replace my head gasket, quick Q.

I have an athena head (400cc) do I need to get a head gasket from athen or just the stock one?
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2010, 01:38:39 pm »
If it's not an overbore, the stock should be fine.
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2010, 11:25:10 pm »
They are compatible (if not identical).
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline N[]vA

• Forum Whore
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2010, 01:27:20 pm »
They are compatible (if not identical).
Thanks man

Offline MildDog

« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2010, 03:03:19 pm »
My brakes suck, well, the front end seems to lack stopping power on tar. I ride an E-model. I do have some cheap no-name tire up front, which may have a lot to do with it. What can I do to improve braking the most cost-effective way? Braided hoses? Wave rotors? What else?

Offline Etienne2T

• Mr.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dinosaur
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2010, 03:27:02 pm »
Try just bleeding the front, might have air in, mine did stoppies on a dime

Offline MildDog

« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2010, 04:14:33 pm »

How do i do that? Air in the system is likely, I opened the front brake reservoir a little while back, thought it had a leak, and obviously when I closed it up again some fluid spilt.

Offline N[]vA

• Forum Whore
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2010, 04:17:26 pm »

How do i do that? Air in the system is likely, I opened the front brake reservoir a little while back, thought it had a leak, and obviously when I closed it up again some fluid spilt.
lol dude

I will explain how its done tonight :-p

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2010, 11:34:26 pm »
Rather leave your hands off your brakes unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing.

That includes replacing brake pads.

::)
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline MildDog

« Reply #97 on: August 05, 2010, 03:37:53 pm »
well you just coated your stock one..... and went for jetting today.... so the only reason you would want one is to get more power?

Do you want a high powered bike or a reliable bike?

Im gonna stop playing mom now >.<

Thanks Mom.

There was a slight problem and I need to replace the end-can, I was very happy with the stock pipe with the coating, but it's been damaged. I wasn't necessarily looking for more power!

Julian is awesome. I had such a cool morning hanging out there watching him dyno my bike.

I think I am going with the Scorch Oval pipe.

Offline MildDog

« Reply #98 on: August 05, 2010, 05:49:13 pm »
I must just say, I freaking LOVE my DRZ. it's such an awesome little thing. I will post pics of my various 'mods' of late. HID and polisport headlamp shroud, ceramic coated header, scorch tail pipe, metal-bar handguards. with put on a UFX Polisport front fender and smaller indicators in the coming months :) then I suppose I should learn how to ride!!!

Offline MildDog

« Reply #99 on: August 06, 2010, 06:25:32 pm »
OK, so earlier this week I had my exhaust ceramic coated. It is the stock DRZ end-can, that has been gutted. It looked quite miff and was covered in old mud. They ceramic coated it a nice shiny shilver, it set me back R430-odd. Which is quite a bit.

When I took delivery of the exhaust I noted that my header nut and bolt were gone, I handed in the exhaust with these two attached. I told their head guy and he said they would replace them, I drove straight to Suzuki South, bought them and then sent the invoice to the exahust people. Cost me about an hour of my time and some petrol, I billed them the R60 for the nut and bolt.

Then I fit the exhaust and ride out to Superbike Solutions, it's about a 20/30 minute ride. As I get about 5 minutes away my bike starts to sound like it's dieing. I am thinking 'fark, my big end bearing is gone', and I want to cry. The noise gets worse, weird rattling, uneven idling, backfiring, but strangely the bike still rides fine.

I get there and I see that the end cap of the exhaust has fallen off- they did not fasten it back on properly when they treated the exhaust. So the end cap has fallen off and ripped one of the threads out the back of the can, and tearing the gasket in half. Also, they removed the gasket from the header pipe (partly my fault because I did not notice when I put the pipe back on), so that has rattled loose, the header bracket is bouncing around and scratching the pipe and the two new nuts have fallen off.

I phone them immediately and tell them what has happened. The owner flips and starts swearing about his staff and then promises to pay for whatever it costs.

I get home phone scorch and phone suzuki, get prices and draft him a nice mail about it all. I ask him to pay for the new exhaust end-can, which is R2000 and the header gasket, which I guess is R50-R100, I offer to pay for the bolts that fell off because I didn't see the gasket was misisng.

Today he phones me and rather aggressively tells me I am being unreasonable and he's not paying R2000 for an exhaust that 'in his opinion is worth R200'. I feel bad asking him for R2000, but he damaged my exhaust and so should replace it.

We've chatted again and he reckons he will repair my end-can and not replace it. Is this fair? Should I push for the new tail pipe or accept a repair? If I had broken the pipe and was paying for it I would repair it, but I didn't, and I am not happy about having them break my pipe, even though the break is minor. However, I want to do what is honest/fair/acceptable in the industry under these circumstances?