Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Which tyres do you use on your 610's?  (Read 3257 times)

Offline Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
Re: Which tyres do you use on your 610's?
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2011, 05:49:56 pm »

Tried them all --and let me just say --different people use tyre's differently in different situations --  4 of my 5 my Huskies  have different tyres on - a lot of factors are involved in the type of tyre for your specific type of riding --Frankly the torque a 610 motor puts out will destroy most tyres. Price is also a major factor for riders --

I am back with a known brand and have had warranty claims honoured without hassles -- i ride what works for me -------- and what i feel safe on  ::)

We need to get over it and realize --There is NO perfect tyre -- otherwise we would all be riding them - :3some:

Couldn't agree more.

+1 Unfortunately I only have 1 Husky !  :'(

Fortunately I only have one Husky  ???

Fortunately I also have 1 Honda, 1 Kawasaki and 2 Yamahas  :D
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2011, 04:14:19 pm »
Just fitted the Pirelli MT 43 and went for a short ride up and down the Primrose koppie and through the veld a couple of times.

Very good traction off road on all types of terrain.  The tyre simply doesnt slide at all, it just grips.  Climbing up rutted tracks with lots of loose stones etc was a breeze.  Found myself wheelieing up some rocks without meaning to!

I rode home on the highway at 120-130.  It felt a bit soft and squidgy on tar but otherwise OK.  I was running 1.2bar.  Clearly its a 90%dirt, 10% tar tyre.

Going for a nice long ride tomorrow to see how it handles high speed gravel and sand.
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline Buks

• RR's no more!!
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2011, 05:00:46 pm »
 :thumleft:
2012 Honda XR650L

THE PAST :   '83 Honda MT5; '84 Honda MTX200R; '8? Kawa GPZ550; '79 Honda XL185S; '94 Honda XLR250R; '08 BMW G650Xchallenge; '95 Honda Africa Twin; '10 Honda XR125L; '10 Yamaha XT250; '09 Husqvarna TE610; '10 Honda XR250 Tornado... and more than a dozen Honda + Yamaha ATV's + 1 Arctic Cat DVX400.

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2011, 06:27:07 am »
Went for a nice long ride out to Culinan and Rayton with TK yesterday.

Good mixture of tar, fast gravel, railway track servitudes, single track etc.  Quite a lot of mud.

The MT43 was exceptional on all off road surfaces.  Even in mud and clay, where they warned that it was useless, it had much better grip than my Heidenaus used to which really were useless.  TK had a worn Conti TKC 80 on the back and was complaining that he was battling a bit.

Its fantastic to feel the tyre just bite regardless of the surface. It doesnt spin or slide (except in mud of course) - just pushes you forward!  Fast gravel is really fun!

On tar its a different matter though.  The MT43's are OK but feel very soft and squidgy - I wouldnt try hard cornering or anything with it.  But they are nice and comfortable - no knobbly type noise or vibration - and dont cause any issues at speed - I did 130 odd on the highways (1.2bar).

They also seem to wear rapidly on tar.  On the AdvForums, ThumperTalk etc guys say they get 2000 miles on them (even a guy on a CR500!) and many say they ride tar.  It remains to be seen whether that sort of mileage is possible because after a 220k ride, there was visible wear on the centre knobs.

Although looking at the tyre this morning I think I might be running too high pressure because the centre knob is taking all the load and thus wearing fast, which may also account for the squidgy feeling on tar (essentially relying on one knob most of the time).  I'll try dropping the pressure a bit to spread the load more next ride.

However even if it doesnt last as claimed, this sort of traction is addictive! 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 09:36:03 am by alanB »

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2011, 04:47:34 pm »
I put together a training ride for the Amageza Qualifier next week, and more importantly test the tyre properly. 

Started off by going up and down the Primrose koppie a few times (where I rode past a couple in a bakkie right at the top next to the reservoir, he was busy getting a BJ  :o  :biggrin: - when I worked out what was happening  I was quite embarrassed and had to duck around the back of the reservoir and ride back through the rocks - always wandered why there where car tracks up there - surely they could pick a more romantic spot  ???

Anyway..... ::).... the tyre sticks like glue on rocks, makes even quite difficult sections reasonably easy because you just aim  and give a bit of throttle and up/down you go.

Then rode out to Rhino Park, did two moderately fast laps of the MX track (I asked a guy on a MX bike which direction to go and he asked whether I was going to go round on "that" pointing to my bike incredulously - bloody cheek!  He warned me that were some steep jumps ... I just nodded politely.   ::))  The track has got quite a lot of thick sand on it but that tyre grips even better than a knobbly IMO - so no issues in thick sand  :thumleft:

Did three laps of the enduro track which was really fun.  The traction transforms the bike!  It sticks quite nicely in corners and accelerates quite hard out of them, on the straights it accelerates a lot harder - great fun  :ricky:

Rode home and did the koppie one last time - wheelied right over a difficult section by mistake - must have looked like I was a pro  :P, I just caught my footpeg on a bush as I turned on my approach and had to  give it a bit of juice to avoid being pulled off line.

Got home really happy and nice and stiff!

Love this tyre!  :thumleft: 

Offline Buks

• RR's no more!!
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2011, 09:21:05 pm »
 :thumleft: Thanks for the feedback!! Seems the way to go!!
2012 Honda XR650L

THE PAST :   '83 Honda MT5; '84 Honda MTX200R; '8? Kawa GPZ550; '79 Honda XL185S; '94 Honda XLR250R; '08 BMW G650Xchallenge; '95 Honda Africa Twin; '10 Honda XR125L; '10 Yamaha XT250; '09 Husqvarna TE610; '10 Honda XR250 Tornado... and more than a dozen Honda + Yamaha ATV's + 1 Arctic Cat DVX400.

Offline Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2011, 08:33:14 am »
Just fitted the Pirelli MT 43 and went for a short ride up and down the Primrose koppie and through the veld a couple of times.

Very good traction off road on all types of terrain.  The tyre simply doesnt slide at all, it just grips.  Climbing up rutted tracks with lots of loose stones etc was a breeze.  Found myself wheelieing up some rocks without meaning to!

I rode home on the highway at 120-130.  It felt a bit soft and squidgy on tar but otherwise OK.  I was running 1.2bar.  Clearly its a 90%dirt, 10% tar tyre.

Going for a nice long ride tomorrow to see how it handles high speed gravel and sand.

What did these tyres cost you Alan?

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2011, 09:17:53 am »

What did these tyres cost you Alan?

R710 from Just Bike Tyres , I only bought the back tyre.

Its going to wear faster than a normal DS tyre, but apparently will outlast a proper knobbly.  Plus proper knobblies arent rated for highway use.

At that price its reasonable I think.  Remains to be seen whether it lasts the claimed 3000 ks or not.  The 610 is hard on back tyres, but the extra traction helps reduce unnecessary tyre spin (my Heidi K60 got to the stage that it span almost all the time) - so that may reduce tyre wear who knows?

Offline Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2011, 09:34:22 am »
The other day I did a couple of laps around the Zone 7 MX track on my 610. This track is very sandy and the TKC rear and the Karoo front are not ideal; the Karoo front is actually quite bad. Even so I still managed to lap a few MX bikes,showing just how capable these 610 are. It was actually quite funny one bloke came to me afterwards and said I can't believe you managed to get that 510 around here so quickly, mirrors and all. I politely pointed out to him it was in fact a 610 and not a 510.

I was thinking of trying the Deserts as I have heard the front is really good but don't know about the rear, so perhaps I will get a Desert front and try the MT43 at the rear, or do you think the MT43 in front is as good as the rear?

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2011, 10:22:47 am »
I've recently swapped back to the Karoo front after finally admitting that the Heidi K60 is not the right tyre for the bike, front or rear.  The Karoo front is  MUCH better than the K60 which I had gotten used to, so I personally have no complaints about the Karoo - to me it works well both on and off and Iv'e never had an moments on it.

I was riding the Rhino Park enduro track quite aggressively (for me) this weekend (nice fast, flat, hard dusty, flowing 20k single track) and even though I came into some corners way too hot and had brake quite  hard and then  throw the bike into the corner cranked right over and hope to make it round, the front was fine at all times.  So I'm happy with the Karoo, maybe I'm not pushing as hard as you were?  I know some guys on AdvRider also complain about the Karoo front.

From what I've read on AdvRider and Thumper Talk etc, most guys use either a Karoo, Pirelli MT21 or Dunlop 606, Michelin T63 or similar front with a MT43 rear. Not many use MT43's front and rear.  I suspect the lack of side knobs on the trials front tyre is an issue in hard cornering on gravel/tar.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2011, 10:47:14 am »
Yesterday I thought I would swop my shagged TKC80 for a half worn Mitas E09 ... only to discover that I had forgotten that the Mitas was a 17" off my HP2!  No 18" Mitas E09 in stock in Gatstad so fitted the Dunlop D608 Rally Raid  - my KTM SE friends swear by this tyre so I thought WTF this scoot is also reputed to eat rears. Well took it for a good gravel ride and can report that it works great - short tar spurt also seems nice ...  :ricky:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 10:08:54 am by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Great White

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2011, 08:15:48 am »
I started with the Karoo tyres front and rear from new. Got 2800km on the rear with the tyre rubbing on the exhaust due to the spacers on the exhaust being swopped around. From the Karoo I went on to a T63 and managed to get 3200Km out of the rear.
I am now on my second T63 rear and will change the front Karoo which is on 6100km to a new one.

I have used the Mitas E-09 rear on my DRZ and that works well. Ordered a set for the 610, will keep you guys updated. :thumleft:

Offline Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2011, 08:53:00 am »
I have purchased a set of Michelin deserts for my bike and will fit them this week and then we will see.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2011, 08:57:57 am »
Also good tyres - although take it easy on tar for starters. A friend wacked it (on a 950 admittedly) on a new rear and it threw off blocks!  :o
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

Offline Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2011, 08:59:47 am »
Also good tyres - although take it easy on tar for starters. A friend wacked it (on a 950 admittedly) on a new rear and it threw off blocks!  :o

Thanks for the advice  :thumleft:

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2012, 01:18:39 pm »
I'm faced with a dilemma.

The Pirelli MT43 trials tyre is on 2000 k's now with still about a third left so it may make the claimed 3000k's.

My dilemma is that its easily the best off road tyre I've ever used and I would love to put another one on.  It literally transforms the bike and makes me confident to tackle stuff I would previously think twice about.  It works well in thick sand and even is OK in snot slippery mud (although one has to hold one's breath and not do anything sudden).  On hard gravel or rocks its like velcro!

But its not the right tyre for long distances on tar - it actually handles fine on tar once you get used to it (a bit squidgy) but it wears faster and is a waste for that sort of riding.

I do most of my weekend riding on dirt with about 30-40% tar so thats OK so far. 

But I am thinking about planning some trips down to Lesotho or something later in the year which will require long tar sections. 

So do I get another MT43 when this one wears out or do I go for something like a T63 which is also quite good value and seems to do better on tar?

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2012, 01:46:05 pm »
T63 rears do not last - great front and am running one now. My choice would be the Dunlop D908 Rally Raid or Mita E09 ot TKC80.

The RR is what I have on now and is a very strong and durable tyre - is hard and has a strong side wall and can be run virtually flat on a 610 if need be. It does tar very well and very capable in most all off road conditions. I have been to Lesotho a good number of times with guys with big KTM's and they swore by it for these trips - excellent mileage. Was developed for the PD race. If any criticism it would be that it is maybe a bit too hard/stiff. Good value for money.

The Mitas E 09 is another beauty - I would have put it on the 610 if there was stock when I wanted a rear but do not regret the D908. I have run a number of E09's on my HP2 and I rate the tyre. The version we get here was also developed for the PD and has an extra ply for strength, especially in the sidewall. The tread is strong and and pretty good life - handles everything thrown at it. Good value for money. The front E09 is also very good.

The Conti TKC80 needs little introduction. Fantastic tyres - I always run them on my HP2 front and sometimes back. Not great mileage on rears on litre class DS bikes but would be better on the 610 I am guessing. Tend to be on the more expensive side comparatively but they have been trying recently to stay competetive on pricing and I think the 140 is quite a bit cheaper than a 150 that the big GS's use.

My 2 cents.  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 05:06:00 pm by BiG DoM »

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2012, 08:16:31 am »
Its a three axis problem

1) Hard tyres last but soft tyres give you traction - I see no point in riding on a tyre that slides and spins all over the place just because it lasts a long time.  The K60 is a gAood example - lasts for ever but you spin and slide everywhere once it looses its hard edges, and its not that safe on wet tar - the compound is just too hard IMO.

2) Price - some tyres (usually the more popular tyres) are very expensive, up to twice the price of other tyres.  The 610 goes through back tyres at a reasonable rate - so one needs to consider that.

3) On-road vs off road bias - I want grip off road in all conditions but want safety on tar.

The MT43 actually isnt bad in all three accounts!

1) Superb traction and lasts probably about as long as a T63 it seems
2) Well priced - it may last half as long as say a Mitas09 but then its close to half the price?
3) Great off road - safe on tar

Only issue is long tar stretches of 100's kilos at a time.  I know its going to wear real fast under those conditions!

Hmm still dont know what to do...

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2012, 08:47:21 am »
I would give the Mitas E09 serious consideration or the E07 if you want a more 50/50 tyre. The E09 has held up on my HP2 very well and been on long hard trips - is not too hard, handles tar very well. For me it would be Mitas E09 or TKC80.

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2012, 02:31:28 pm »
Its a catch 22 situation --seems like the 610 is just a tyre eater  ::)

I enjoy the Karoo 2 in front for gravel -- seems to be just a little wider than the T63  front tyre and very similar tyre pattern. As for the back --i still enjoy my 140 TKC -- only gives about 3.5 to 4thousand km. mostly dirt riding ----You guys find something on the back that works well --let us know --
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA