Gauteng Toll Roads - How to use your eTag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntVan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
The reason for this thread is for those of us in Gauteng who believe in working with the authorities. Unfortunately, it's a bit of a serious thread with a serious question and I would prefer serious on-topic answers.

We are all going to be required to pay toll fees in Gauteng, possibly even motorcyclists. Even if we as motorcyclists don't get tolled on the Gauteng roads or won't be required to have an eTag I assume we will still be tolled for a while (at least) on the Bakwena routes. I believe the eTag system can make life easier for us. The Bakwena dudes are doing a lot in terms of job creation, so I don't know if the cashiers will be taken away completely from that perspective, but for now at least we are stuck with the cashiers.

I therefore decided to be an early adopter and get myself one of them eTags for each vehicle, including the pony. So, the question I put to you my much more experienced fellow riders, is this:

How do you use your eTag? 

1. Where do you keep it?
2. How do you protect it?
3. Does it work every time?

1. Where. I've been putting my tag in my jacket. It did not work every, except for one time. Then I stuck it on my screen, it still does not work. I don't go through the eTag-only gates, for obvious reasons, and only use the dual-use gates. I had my tag tested and it works according to Bakwena. But whenever I ride through a gate I have to pay manually.
2. Protection. When not required, I remove it from the little slider thingy and put it in my bag.
3. Findings. Short version: I find the eTag a bust. It almost never works, don't matter where I put it. If I find enough anecdotal evidence I might be able to present something to someone in Bakwena at least, to make our lives easier.