Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM 500 is it the Ultimate DS Bike  (Read 11783 times)

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Of maar net Gabriel
Re: KTM 500 is it the Ultimate DS Bike
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2017, 11:50:47 am »
Sorry, forgot to make them public. They are public now - can you see them?

Still not on my side.  :-\

Offline Xpat

« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2017, 11:59:17 am »
I have reposted the images again - please check. If they are still not showing, I am at the end of my wits - I have to say this Google Photo thingy that replaced reliable Picasa is huge fiasco.

If they will still not show (I see them, but I saw them before as well), I will post them in the evening directly as files on WD.

Offline Buddy

« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2017, 12:34:48 pm »

Okay, can see them now, that tank allows you to see your fuel level easily  :thumleft:
The Townkraaier of Kraaifontein

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2017, 10:30:40 pm »
Sorry, forgot to make them public. They are public now - can you see them?

Yeah, thanks. How's the 500 working for you now?

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2017, 01:21:32 pm »
Here is my take on this:

That looks like de Wildt. How does the 500 handle when you get to the technical stuff in the koppies?
Can you ride with the enduro bikes or is it very tiring?

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2017, 02:22:12 pm »
I had a 450 kitted more or less the same, and although it's a stunning trip bike and runs rings around anything else in the rough stuff, there's no way I'd have wanted to try keep up with myself on my 300 in anything moderately technical. I once did an offroad race in CPT still in Amageza trim, and it was ok in the sandy and open stuff, but you can't compare to a stripped down little bike. The tank is wide, and if it's got any fuel in it it's quite a bit of extra ballast.

Still - a stunning bike, and I'm looking for a 500 as a trip bike.

Offline Xpat

« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2017, 05:28:16 pm »
Yes it is DeWildt. I do not ride kopijes, just the basic route from police station to shebeen through three fences and back through the bush. 500 is handfull there. I can do everything I did on 300 there, but get tired much quicker - the big engine does take it out of you more than 2T 300. And the big tank makes a bit more tricky - I wouldn't say because of the weight, but one just cannot move around the bike so easily and grip the bike with knees upfront.

That all said, by far my biggest problem there is miserable fitness. I broke my leg in July last year and only started riding again in April - and my legs are still way too weak, which results in me compensating with arms and inevitable armpump. I rode there with GregF who also rides 500 with big tank and TK on 400 Beta and they just left me in dust. So much so that I told them to leave me behind and took easier route. They both rode the whole riverbed to shebeen (from the soccer pitch) and then took the other riverbed - the one going by coconuts and moonscape - basically the longest and most gnarly loop I'm aware of in De Wildt (excluding the mountains). And they did just fine. I am pretty sure that as my fitness improves, I will be able to ride that as well. Quite frankly when I started riding 300 there many years ago, I struggled exactly the same way (even without broken leg) and it took me quite a while to be able to ride the whole loop with some gusto.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 05:31:34 pm by Xpat »

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2017, 08:31:04 pm »
Yes it is DeWildt. I do not ride kopijes, just the basic route from police station to shebeen through three fences and back through the bush. 500 is handfull there. I can do everything I did on 300 there, but get tired much quicker - the big engine does take it out of you more than 2T 300. And the big tank makes a bit more tricky - I wouldn't say because of the weight, but one just cannot move around the bike so easily and grip the bike with knees upfront.

That all said, by far my biggest problem there is miserable fitness. I broke my leg in July last year and only started riding again in April - and my legs are still way too weak, which results in me compensating with arms and inevitable armpump. I rode there with GregF who also rides 500 with big tank and TK on 400 Beta and they just left me in dust. So much so that I told them to leave me behind and took easier route. They both rode the whole riverbed to shebeen (from the soccer pitch) and then took the other riverbed - the one going by coconuts and moonscape - basically the longest and most gnarly loop I'm aware of in De Wildt (excluding the mountains). And they did just fine. I am pretty sure that as my fitness improves, I will be able to ride that as well. Quite frankly when I started riding 300 there many years ago, I struggled exactly the same way (even without broken leg) and it took me quite a while to be able to ride the whole loop with some gusto.
Lesotho still on the cards
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Xpat

« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2017, 09:03:19 pm »
@sidetrack: Lesotho is on the cards, but only once I'm back from Europe in September or so. Too cold now, and quite frankly my struggle in DeWildt tells me I'm not fit enough for it now.

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #109 on: May 07, 2017, 07:51:48 pm »
I have never ridden a 500 but have owned 2 x 525 and they were great.530 not so much, dual oil system KTM could never master. The 500 also seems to be rock solid. They are light dependable, makes tech riding super easy and have 6 gears. Best of the 450 class by a country mile if you want to dual sport.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

« Reply #110 on: May 07, 2017, 09:36:23 pm »
How does the Husqvarna TE510 compare to the KTM500?

Looks like they come already road legal.

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=209093.0

Offline blauth

« Reply #111 on: May 07, 2017, 10:21:20 pm »
I have never ridden a 500 but have owned 2 x 525 and they were great.530 not so much, dual oil system KTM could never master. The 500 also seems to be rock solid. They are light dependable, makes tech riding super easy and have 6 gears. Best of the 450 class by a country mile if you want to dual sport.

The 500 has waaaay more power. The bike I rode was a friends and his suspension was setup really harshly so I didn't enjoy the ride much but I'm sure if it were mine, I'd love it.

You know it has a built in Cush drive in the clutch basket.

I've heard nothing bad about them.

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #112 on: May 07, 2017, 10:33:08 pm »
You guys are making me lus for a 500! Maybe I should ride yours someday Martin....or maybe not!
The only thing about them is the maintenance schedule, the oil changes I can live with, I change oil on my 610 every 2000km or so anyway, what other maintenance is required?
As I understand it is a racing motor and needs frequent rebuilds...that harps back to my karting days and those Italian TM 125 motors, 46hp, but a rebuild every 60liters of fuel!
Gets expensive in a hurry.
SM I would not go Husky simply because there are so many aftermarket parts for the KTM like big tanks etc, you will not find those for the 510, and as experience has shown, the 500 can keep up with a 610 with a JD tuner, so it is no slouch.
I also think the Husky has linkage back suspension and the KTM not.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 10:58:05 pm by Straatkat »
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline Xpat

« Reply #113 on: May 07, 2017, 11:17:03 pm »
You guys are making me lus for a 500! Maybe I should ride yours someday Martin....or maybe not!
The only thing about them is the maintenance schedule, the oil changes I can live with, I change oil on my 610 every 2000km or so anyway, what other maintenance is required?
As I understand it is a racing motor and needs frequent rebuilds...that harps back to my karting days and those Italian TM 125 motors, 46hp, but a rebuild every 60liters of fuel!
Gets expensive in a hurry.
SM I would not go Husky simply because there are so many aftermarket parts for the KTM like big tanks etc, you will not find those for the 510, and as experience has shown, the 500 can keep up with a 610 with a JD tuner, so it is no slouch.
I also think the Husky has linkage back suspension and the KTM not.

General guideline I got for non racing use was change oil every 1500 km, valve check every second oil change, and top end after 10k km - possibly later. Bertie you probably have seen this (I'm sure it is posted earlier in this thread) but these two dudes did 7000 km trip from Austria to Egypt with only oil changes (and then another one - I think 9k km to Vladivostok):

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
    • Team 525
« Reply #114 on: May 08, 2017, 06:31:52 am »
Xpat I think you'll find you don't need to check valves anything like the often. The internet is a awash with stories of 500 doing huge miles, when used as an adventure bike. There's a Kiwi guy who just did 36,000km up the Americas without opening the engine, believe it or not. And it's still running great.

But it is a race motor, and I think such cases should be seen as getting lucky! I think for 5,000km a year they are a great option. Much more and I'd go for a 690

Offline volroom

« Reply #115 on: May 08, 2017, 08:44:56 am »
might just get one of these when we go to Abu Dhabi, man I love watching that motonomad video... makes me jealous.

I'm quite a big bloke, 1.9m, almost 120kg.

What is the reality when it comes to riding something like a KTM 500? stiffer rear spring, that it?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 10:25:07 am by volroom »
2003 R1150GS

Offline MXDURO

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #116 on: May 08, 2017, 05:05:03 pm »
For 6k more over the 500 exc you can get a 690 R that is road legal with better fuel economy and longer legs.

Just my 2c.
The Greatest Man in history, named JESUS. Had no servants, yet they called Him Master.

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2017, 05:17:09 pm »
For 6k more over the 500 exc you can get a 690 R that is road legal with better fuel economy and longer legs.

Just my 2c.

Yes but the 690 is not lighter than the 500

Offline GTRacing

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR500
  • Heeltyd speel tyd...
« Reply #118 on: May 09, 2017, 05:53:32 am »
And cheaper to convert to long range travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Too many toys and not enough time...

Offline GTRacing

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR500
  • Heeltyd speel tyd...
« Reply #119 on: May 11, 2017, 07:26:29 pm »
might just get one of these when we go to Abu Dhabi, man I love watching that motonomad video... makes me jealous.

I'm quite a big bloke, 1.9m, almost 120kg.

What is the reality when it comes to riding something like a KTM 500? stiffer rear spring, that it?
I fitted a 8.8 rear spring. Im 120kg and 1,89m
It is the best bike ever and I have tried them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Too many toys and not enough time...