Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM 500 is it the Ultimate DS Bike  (Read 11772 times)

Offline the ruffian

Re: KTM 500 is it the Ultimate DS Bike
« Reply #140 on: October 28, 2017, 06:52:33 am »
And of course, the loaded question for Xpat is where are you about to take that sweet new puppy of yours??!

Meaning that it is the fulcrum for yet another of your inimitable ride reports...!

Offline Xpat

« Reply #141 on: October 28, 2017, 10:01:42 am »
I'm going to Lesotho.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #142 on: October 28, 2017, 10:03:03 am »
I'm going to Lesotho.

Riding all the way from home? :peepwall:

Offline Xpat

« Reply #143 on: October 28, 2017, 10:23:02 am »
I'm going to Lesotho.

Riding all the way from home? :peepwall:

No, but it would do it easily - even I would ending up quite grumpy though. But what would be the point to losing 700 - 800 km (both ways) of thread from the knobbly? And looking at the combination of the route I have plotted and the weather forecast, warm cage will give me some consolation when I crawl back in tears about day or two later defeated.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #144 on: October 28, 2017, 10:31:36 am »
 :thumleft:

Offline IanTheTooth

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • The past is a foreign country
« Reply #145 on: October 28, 2017, 11:03:10 am »
When this thread first popped up in 2011 I thought that the idea of riding into an area where you couldn't be retrieved on a complicated, expensive, ridiculously powerful  bike that ran on a thimble full of oil was strictly for tossers. In the last 6 years I have had a complete rethink and after a couple of rides dragging  behind big KTM's I have to say this is the way to go. The economy of petrol injection and the correction for altitude makes all the electronics worth while. However, my two bits worth Xpat, to do the ride you have in mind I would not carry anything more than what you can fit into a backpack. I discussed this with Iain and he agreed that you really need seconders to pitch up with the stuff you shouldn't be carrying. Best of Luck! Ian

PS weather is quite warm and sunny at Sehelabathebe this morning but it was bloody cold last night!

PPS I agree with you about crawling into a nice warm bakkie.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 02:55:25 pm by IanTheTooth »
The dog that caught the car. What now?

Offline Xpat

« Reply #146 on: October 28, 2017, 02:08:34 pm »
Thank you Ian, appreciate the advice👍

I will go throug the luggage again and trim wherever possible.

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #147 on: October 28, 2017, 03:13:10 pm »
Is your 500 the EXC or XCW?

Is it for sale?  :biggrin:
Ja/Nee

Offline Xpat

« Reply #148 on: October 28, 2017, 05:57:42 pm »

Both. EXC is XCW with roadworthy kit. My is XCW with added kit - because they weren't bringing EXC to SA. Not for sale.

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #149 on: October 28, 2017, 08:22:16 pm »

Both. EXC is XCW with roadworthy kit. My is XCW with added kit - because they weren't bringing EXC to SA. Not for sale.

Oh okay thanks - didn't know that. I was led to believe that the XCW had a wide ratio gearbox gearbox (hence the W) which is meant to be better for enduro (longer stretches) type riding and that the EXC is more of a track type racing bike? Do I have it all wrong? Are the gearboxes the same on both EXC and XCW?
Ja/Nee

Offline Xpat

« Reply #150 on: October 28, 2017, 08:40:52 pm »
I believe they are the same, EXC only has roadworthy stuff already on (blinkers, mirrors, horn). I have read somewhere that stock EXC were mapped a bit lean to comply with emissions, and were deliberately made difficult to remap for that reason by KTM, while XCW as 'dirt bike' can be remapped anyway you want, but I'm not sure if it is true. Anyway, you can make XCW legal easily - with added cost of the roadworthy kit.

I believe the gearboxes are the same but not 100% sure. The fact is that when I go to a dealer to buy spares like sprockets, they always ask me if it is XCW or EXC - but I think they (or their SW) are just being dumb.

I believe the past there was XC version and XC-W version - with narrow vs wide ratio gearbox, but I don't think there is XC anymore. Again, don't take this as truth, just my guess - google it.

Offline aka.Goliath

« Reply #151 on: October 29, 2017, 03:44:29 am »
Xpat. Have you done anything to strengthen the subframe. Does it look like it will cope with all the luggage and extra weight on it?
BMW 1150 GSA - 2004
KTM 690R - 2014
KTM 300 X-CW - 2012
KTM 530 EXC Rally - 2011 SOLD, KTM 690R - 2009 SOLD, BMW 1200GS 2009 SOLD

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #152 on: October 29, 2017, 06:41:57 am »
Xpat - very nice weapon of choice there.  :ricky: Good question about rear subframe as notoriously give shyte on many 'offroad' bikes as they are really designed to carry a fender and lights. On my Husky 610 and HP2 I purposely strap the GL bag forward on the rear of the seat to relieve the levered force on the rear subframe.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Xpat

« Reply #153 on: October 29, 2017, 11:47:24 am »
No, I didn't reinforce the subframe. Not sure if it will survive the weight - we will see I guess. If it survived the 12000 km Motonomad trip with similar luggage on it, I hope it will survive this. But as I said, we will see.

Of course I'm packing all the heavy stuff - which is tools and water to the bottom of the side bags. And I think the luggage looks bigger than it is because it is rollietop kind from heavy duty material, so it gives impression of being bulkier than it is. You have to remember that the whole Mosko Moto 40 thingy has 40 liters of volume - i.e. less than many metal panniers if I remember correctly - and less than most people top rollie bags. And this includes two 2 litre pouches under the sidebags, so for main bags it is 36 litres (top bag is 8 litres and I'm really battling squeezing my make-up there).

I have repacked it and optimised a bit (taking ligher/smaller sleeping bag and less food) and it comes to 5 kg for each side bag, and 2.5 kg for the top rollie bag. So total of 12.5 kg + 2 litres of water in the bottom pouches of the harness. And most of it sitting low and upfront. I ride every week in DeWildt to shabeen and back with about 7 kg in Giant Loop Mojave, and so far had 0 problems.

I have also hydration pack and tankbag, but those are not that relevant for the subframe

As I said, I will try and see - I look at this as proof of concept, being the laboratory rat for other people who may consider 500 for trips. THe fact that Motonomad guys, as well as MaxThePanda on his Kaokoland trip used very similar packing and it worked fine gives me sufficient confidence for this trip. In their case they were often riding at speed on the open tracks, while I'll be at best crawling along the cattle paths - hopefully stressing the subframe less.

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #154 on: October 29, 2017, 12:52:37 pm »
I believe they are the same, EXC only has roadworthy stuff already on (blinkers, mirrors, horn). I have read somewhere that stock EXC were mapped a bit lean to comply with emissions, and were deliberately made difficult to remap for that reason by KTM, while XCW as 'dirt bike' can be remapped anyway you want, but I'm not sure if it is true. Anyway, you can make XCW legal easily - with added cost of the roadworthy kit.

I believe the gearboxes are the same but not 100% sure. The fact is that when I go to a dealer to buy spares like sprockets, they always ask me if it is XCW or EXC - but I think they (or their SW) are just being dumb.

I believe the past there was XC version and XC-W version - with narrow vs wide ratio gearbox, but I don't think there is XC anymore. Again, don't take this as truth, just my guess - google it.

Thanks  :thumleft:
Ja/Nee

Offline IanTheTooth

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • The past is a foreign country
« Reply #155 on: October 29, 2017, 05:32:23 pm »
Hoping to find a cattle path?
The dog that caught the car. What now?

Offline Xpat

« Reply #156 on: October 29, 2017, 06:14:05 pm »

Yes, that is the hope, but of course I may be just wishfull thinking - I'll see soon enough, leaving tomorrow finally. I have delayed my departure partially because Losper adviced to look for cattle paths wherever possible. So I had another - much more thorough - look at my original (admitedly a bit gung-ho) route, looking for cattle paths wherever possible. I think I managed to track significant portions of the route on at least some kind of tracks (assuming they are still there after rain), but yes - there are portions where they are difficult to discern on satellite images and I may be just imagining things.

I do expect to fail (it's not the end of the world - I've failed before, many times  O0), but will give it a go and see what comes out of it. The good thing is that I should hit the most sketchy part - about 100 km between Monantsa and the source of Orange river straight away, so should know within first 1 - 3 days if I'm just being an idiot or not. And if it doesn't go to plan I should be able to bail out either to AFri Ski (my track crosses and follows  for a bit that mountain bike track you've sent me), or backtrack if I don't make it even that far.

OK, I'd rather stop procrastinating and finish the prep. I'm need to get going now - I've talked to much already.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #157 on: October 29, 2017, 07:23:14 pm »

Yes, that is the hope, but of course I may be just wishfull thinking - I'll see soon enough, leaving tomorrow finally. I have delayed my departure partially because Losper adviced to look for cattle paths wherever possible. So I had another - much more thorough - look at my original (admitedly a bit gung-ho) route, looking for cattle paths wherever possible. I think I managed to track significant portions of the route on at least some kind of tracks (assuming they are still there after rain), but yes - there are portions where they are difficult to discern on satellite images and I may be just imagining things.

I do expect to fail (it's not the end of the world - I've failed before, many times  O0), but will give it a go and see what comes out of it. The good thing is that I should hit the most sketchy part - about 100 km between Monantsa and the source of Orange river straight away, so should know within first 1 - 3 days if I'm just being an idiot or not. And if it doesn't go to plan I should be able to bail out either to AFri Ski (my track crosses and follows  for a bit that mountain bike track you've sent me), or backtrack if I don't make it even that far.

OK, I'd rather stop procrastinating and finish the prep. I'm need to get going now - I've talked to much already.

Oh hell, that sounds good. Voorspoed!

Offline Losper

• Tour operator specializing in Lesotho, Namakwaland and the Richtersveld
  • Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Ons vat jou waar jou ma nie weet jy is nie
    • Facebook: LosperAdventures
« Reply #158 on: October 30, 2017, 08:02:22 am »
Xpat,  enjoy your trip and keep us updated where possible.
We do adventure and enduro bike tours, specializing in Lesotho, Namakaland and the Richtersveld.