Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: How to get Out of Africa into Europe???  (Read 641 times)

Offline tomrinbellingham

• Puppy
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • Making friends in high places - Peruvian Andes
How to get Out of Africa into Europe???
« on: July 02, 2011, 08:12:32 pm »
 ???I am in Aswan, Egypt tonight and heading north along the Nile to the end of my Capetown to Cairo ride up the eastern side of Africa - in a week or maybe two. When I get to the top of Africa, I can't ride west into Libya and I can't ride east into Syria. The ferry that used to run from Alexandria to Italy isn't running anymore - as of a couple of weeks ago. The ferry that used to run from Israel to Greece isn't anymore - suspended until further notice. Flying my bike from Cairo International to to the northern side of the Mediterranean is too expensive.

There seems to be no other option but to put my bike in a crate and ship it somewhere on a cargo vessel while I fly there and wait God knows how long for it to show up, only to be raped by stevedores and port authorities getting it off the boat and back under me.

Anyone know of a viable solution - in the next couple of weeks?

Thanks, Tom
Tom
Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile. Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should sing and dance -- and ride motorcycles.

Offline superfoxi

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Professional motorcycle and suspension services
Re: How to get Out of Africa into Europe???
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 08:30:36 pm »
Why can't you get into Syria? Visa issues?

Offline oo7

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 10:47:28 pm »
Is travelling from Cairo across the Suez & up to Israel (Eilat) still an option? If you can get into Israel, surely there should be something from Haifa to Larnaca / Greece etc? I did it in reverse about 20yrs ago, but things have changed a bit since then . . . he he he

Offline Mzee

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 12:37:12 pm »
Tom sorry about this dilemma.  I am glad you are somewhere although stuck.  Unformtunately I can't help.  But feels very good to know you are well.  I hope you find some way round this problem.

Cheers. :thumleft:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 12:38:11 pm by Mzee »
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline Bossies

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
    • http://buyaikhaya.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 08:32:32 pm »
Take the ferry from Nuweiba to Aqaba, spend 2 weeks in Jordan seeing the sites (Amazing country), cross into Isreal and do more sites, catch a ferry to Cyprus and then onto Greece - Italy.

OR from Cyprus go to Turkey which is a wonderful country, and huge, filled with many great places and people!!!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 08:40:22 pm by Bossies »
If there's a will there's a way...so I will anyway!!!
http://buyaikhaya.blogspot.com
BMX, Orange "Help-my-trap", Honda Lead 50, TW125, XJ600s, Funduro, XJ900s, XR250, DL650VStrom, DR650SE, R80GS Now: Bikeless