Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Wild Dog Bash vs GSC  (Read 2146 times)

Offline Ratel

Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2007, 11:45:45 am »
Quote from: "Kev"
I would ove to go for rides with some of you guys... but the "lets drink and get dronk" mentality that often accompanies these sort of events does put me off a bit. So, my choice would be to go for some nice rides, but avoid the boozer cruizer scene. Is that possible anymore?

Is that what the Wilddogs are about? :?:  :shock:  :?:
"Stercus accidit..."

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2007, 11:47:02 am »
I would ove to go for rides with some of you guys... but the "lets drink and get dronk" mentality that often accompanies these sort of events does put me off a bit. So, my choice would be to go for some nice rides, but avoid the boozer cruizer scene. Is that possible anymore?

Kev, a lot of the comments made are completely tongue in cheek. After the ride many of us like to have a few drinks and sit around and talk about the ride, bikes etc. We do not ride thereafter until the next day. I think if you speak to anyone at last years Bav bash they will concur. No one got out of it to the point where anyone else was offended or irritated by it. In short just a bunch of good people that ALL thoroughly enjoyed the weekend. I do not believe that "the drink to get dronk" mentality was present. Yes a few of us were lekker tipsy but certainly not dronk or roudy except for Gravel Mad who was roudy all the time even if he was not dronk :D  :D  :D but what a great guy
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2007, 11:47:47 am »
Quote from: "Clockwork Orange"

Kev, a lot of the comments made are completely tongue in cheek. After the ride many of us like to have a few drinks and sit around and talk about the ride, bikes etc. We do not ride thereafter until the next day. I think if you speak to anyone at last years Bav bash they will concur. No one got out of it to the point where anyone else was offended or irritated by it. In short just a bunch of good people that ALL thoroughly enjoyed the weekend. I do not believe that "the drink to get dronk" mentality was present. Yes a few of us were lekker tipsy but certainly not dronk or roudy except for Gravel Mad who was roudy all the time even if he was not dronk :D  :D  :D but what a great guy
\

Oh...and our resident clown :D
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2007, 12:11:23 pm »
Quote from: "Trailrider"

Well, it does show a valid point. If I said that the Honda campdown in George is on the same weekend could I expect all the other Wilddogs to move the date to accommodate me? I think not. We choose the date that is voted for by most on the forum and if it clashes with someones plans he or she is free to make a choice. Not so? Nobody is holding a gun to anyones head. There are destinations on the list that I would not be able to make. If most vote for it, so be it. Life goes on. This is SA. Majority (democracy?) rules.

+1

I would go to a Wilddogs bash any day before any beemer organised thing.

At any other event you need to either take your friends with, or try and find someone you know. With the Wilddogs bash you'll arrive and there they all are !

And the wilddogs that I've met up to now don't have any pecking order to speak of. You have a bike that ride in a DS way ? That makes you feel like an equal with the bunch.

I feel like relaxing with people - not feel like I need to prove something (or like I'm being judged/weighed) all the time. The wilddogs that I've met are all like that. Its about riding and its about the people and the shared experience.

And THAT I will support.

W.

/disclaimer - beemer riders on this forum are cool, and most of the official beemer guys as well.
I just don't like that it is the loud mouth obnoxious types that you always see at the events having pissing contests while making you feel kark about your 7 year old bike and old cordura (non branded) jacket ...
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Steady

Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2007, 03:20:33 pm »
Quote from: "Welsh"

It seems to have lost this aproach in many peoples eyes and gone the "lifestyle "route, hence the WD event popularity.

Trying hard to understand how you draw this conclusion, last year the GS thing attracted 600 entries with about 150 on the waiting list. The WD bash had a total of 47 attendants as quoted on this forum? And only 12% have voted to go on the GAGSC event so far.

Not too sure I understand the logic behind purposefully having the WD event on the same week-end as the BM bash, 24th is a Monday so 21,22,23 and 24th makes sense for a bash, alternately August 9,10,11 and 12th but also a bit colder then. I think BM have cocked this up myself by not incorporating the 24th into the event, just one less day off work. However, they will no doubt fill it up.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2007, 03:27:53 pm »
I think Welsh is referring to WD GS members. Not the SA GS riders as a whole.
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Billbob

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Live and let live (to a point)
Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2007, 05:35:31 pm »
IMO the BMWGS thing is a marketing issue for BMW, and no one can fault them for that. It's just business. I tend to agree with the original statement made by Welsh, because it fits me. I ride a GS1200 because I like it. Mostly I ride alone, not because I'm anti social but because I like to stop and check out the bush, tree's, grass river or what ever takes my fancy. Not everyone's cup of tea, which I accept. If I want to compete, I go racing, not on the BM! So my vote was the WD bash. I can then meet some other members and who knows there might be a few who have similar views to myself about what off tar riding is all about. :D  :)  :lol:
1200GS

Offline Leo

Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2007, 06:00:17 pm »
This poll is useless if non GS riders also vote.  :?
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
Re: Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2007, 06:09:35 pm »
I disagree:

Quote from: "Ratel"
Just to clarify the feelings of most Wilddogs lets poll it (it is the official poll week afterall :D )

How do you feel about attending these two?

If the GSC date clashes with the WD date, surely we can measure what percentage of the whole group is affected?

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2007, 06:16:12 pm »
I think Shark and Uiltjie should kiss and make up.

Maybe we can draw some circles in the sand again this time at the Wild Dog bash, like last year?

My opinion, not be funny or anything, but if our precious Wilddog Bash ends up with hundreds of people (like the GSC) then I will stop going to the Bash.

I'm more of a "small group" person, all the more reason why I would never go to the GSC.
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2007, 06:42:58 pm »
Quote from: "JourneyMan"

To repeat myself:

"Perhaps, the reasoning is very simple, "IN THE BEGINNING" I thought as many others probably did, that the GAGSC was a great event to meet like minded people and ride.

It seems to have lost this aproach in many peoples eyes and gone the "lifestyle "route, hence the WD event popularity.

Plus many of the inmates here are "loners" they can enjoy company on a trip, but are not concerned to do it alone. The herd (lifestyle) instinct is not strong in them."

Should I use capitals?

So to go back in time again:

I AM NOT A MOD OR ANYTHING THESE ARE MY VIEWS ONLY!

The early Gauties in the forum established after a few months that although newbie rides are fun for all, some non newbie rides were by invitation.

THIS IS NOT A CLUB.

There were instances where we were 20 strong on a newbie ride and it was fun, but some of the fast guys were bored and the newbs fell orffed.

The guys started organising there own things, 2 or 3 guys here max 6 or 7 guys there. Forget the 600 strong I do not love dust and am not a Harley Road Captain, despite my girth.

And sorry KEV, but stuff your opinions on the guys partying after a good day, you chose to live in a pasturiesed super sanitised over controlled Banker State (how many km,s have you put on the SE by the way ?).

I choose to live here cos I can live the way I want to, not the "perfect" enviromentally friendly Clone environment. If I want to party, I will party.

Have I ranted enough, I CAN ELLABORATE IF YOU WANT.

Welsh   8)  8)
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Pretoria
Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2007, 07:10:33 pm »
Quote from: "Welsh"
Quote from: "JourneyMan"

Should I use capitals?

Welsh?  8)

My wife also says I'm getting deaf. :shock:  :D  :wink:

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
    • CFO Consult SA
Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2007, 07:24:52 pm »
Welshie for captain! :!:  :D

I agree wif da Welshman.

This forum is not a club. I see it more as a place to talk k*k and meet some people you like to ride with.
Through this forum I have made very very good friends, people that I would travel around the world with. (or sit with in prison, if it comes to that :D )
And I have met people that I dont like as much. :roll:

I dont like mass rides, I believe that biking is by nature a solitary pursuit (in the words of Oppad).
I dont mind the odd group ride now and then, but if I am to take a few days off to travel far, I dont want it to be in the company if 100 other people.
The Wilddog bash last year was fantastic. I can only hope than this years bash will be the same.

But if it degenerates into a (and I'll use my world carefulle here) lifestyle, my bick is digger than yours, skills challenge, bad-ass, gathering I will not go anymore.

But I doubt that it will.

See my smileys -  :D  :D  :lol:  :P  :)  :D  :lol:  :P
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Red

Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2007, 07:34:22 pm »
Whatever.

It is still too early to decide because the GSC venue has still not been announced.  I want to do one event, get a T-shirt, say hallo to some nice GS guys we met before.  My choice.

I would really like to meet some more of the Wilddogs, however, so let us see how it pans out.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2007, 07:34:33 pm »
To use the old, old saying,

Riding motorcycles is kind of like masturbation.
You like to do it all the time, but usually not with strangers.  

Welsh  :D  :D  :D
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2007, 07:39:41 pm »
Well said Kaboef.

I missed last years bash. I joined weeks after it happened  :cry:  So maybe I should just shut up.

Here's my take and feel free to correct me: The Bash is an opportunity to ride a great ride, solitary or in a group of your choice, to a DS destination where you can meet fellow Wild Dogs - put faces to user names - braai and enjoy each other's company. On the "middle" day you can ride routes in the area (alone or in a group / fix BoJ's sump) or whatever and then in the end ride back, again alone or in a group of your choice. If it's about my bike is bigger/better than yours than I've already lost/won.  :wink:  :D

To be honest, with the Wild Dogs I've met so far I can't see it being a pissing contest.

Offline Ratel

Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2007, 08:00:40 pm »
Quote from: "Trailrider"
Well said Kaboef.

I missed last years bash. I joined weeks after it happened  :cry:  So maybe I should just shut up.

Here's my take and feel free to correct me: The Bash is an opportunity to ride a great ride, solitary or in a group of your choice, to a DS destination where you can meet fellow Wild Dogs - put faces to user names - braai and enjoy each other's company. On the "middle" day you can ride routes in the area (alone or in a group / fix BoJ's sump) or whatever and then in the end ride back, again alone or in a group of your choice. If it's about my bike is bigger/better than yours than I've already lost/won.  :wink:  :D

To be honest, with the Wild Dogs I've met so far I can't see it being a pissing contest.

+100

I agree with you wholeheartedly!
"Stercus accidit..."

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Pretoria
Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2007, 08:09:46 pm »
Well. Another important point is that the booze must be cold.  Whether GSC or WD or your own trip for that matter. Cold mealies is one thing but warm booze! :shock:

Just me. :wink:

Offline Stephan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • bwk
Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2007, 08:48:51 pm »
As much as I want to attend one GSC to see what it's about (I know curiosity killed the cat  :wink: ) but in case of a clash, I'd attend the WD Bash.  However I also have to admit that I restarted the GAGSC thread as I felt that BMW cocked up as far as their choice of dates for the GSC was concerned and coupled to that the fact that the venue would be in the Northern Cape area (lovely area but logistically difficult ito traveling to and from Pta).  I also would prefer to joke and ride with people that I already "know" rather than a bunch of unknowns.
Hard reality does not often coincide with the people's wishes - Nelson Mandela

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
    • CFO Consult SA
Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2007, 08:54:05 pm »
Quote from: "Stephan"
As much as I want to attend one GSC to see what it's about .

Isn't it about Staal Jan? :D  :D

www.cfoconsult.co.za