Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Wild Dog Bash vs GSC  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2007, 09:01:13 pm »
I tried my best to fish for the GSC venue for this year, all I managed to find out was that it will be inland from the West Coast, Karoo somewhere, Northern Cape. These okes are so secretive! Anyone would think we are going to hijack the area.!
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2007, 09:03:02 pm »
I have done 2 GSC's, froze my cajones off both times. Peaches also wants to do a GSC, same reason as Red, I can see us doing the GSC AND the WDYEB! :D
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2007, 10:47:02 pm »
Still some people would like to attend the GSC, we don't have to have the Bash on the same date, we are not competing with the GSC.

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2007, 10:54:35 pm »
I agree, but if more people wants that weekend, do we take less Wild Dogs on an alternative weekend to accommodate BMW? That would not be fair? Are we not having a poll in the first place to see what date would suit most Wild Dogs?

If it is such a big issue, lets have a 2nd poll for a week after the first with the 2 most popular dates (At this stage it's so overwhelming that I don't think it will make a difference).

Steady

Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2007, 11:10:59 pm »
Quote from: "Trailrider"
I agree, but if more people wants that weekend, do we take less Wild Dogs on an alternative weekend to accommodate BMW? That would not be fair?

I am obviously missing something here, why would less WD members go on the WDYEB if it was a different week-end?

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2007, 11:13:36 pm »
If it did not suit them. If they had to work or whatever. Is that not why there's a vote? To see when most could attend. It's that that they wouldn't, they couldn't.

Maybe we should have a "final" poll between the the most popular dates to see when most could (as apposed to would) attend. Also, this "final" poll could be held after we know what the location of the bash would be (like EV suggested).

Steady

Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2007, 11:25:11 pm »
The BMW do will have an effect on non BM riders work or whatever?

BMW have moved their event out by a week to accommodate Jewish clients? as Rosh Hashanah is 21 to 23 Sept. and to try and get warmer weather. I understand the location is the Richtersveldt, cold at night on the 21st or 28th September, in fact so cold at night the shaving foam will be frozen in the can in the AM.

My question is, why have the WD bash on the same week-end as the GAGSC?

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2007, 11:34:06 pm »
Quote from: "Steady"
The BMW do will have an effect on non BM riders work or whatever?

We are obviously missing each other.

Quote from: "Steady"
My question is, why have the WD bash on the same week-end as the GAGSC?

It does not HAVE to be that weekend, but if it so happens that that weekend suits most Wild Dogs, do we HAVE to take another because it clashes with a weekend where 7 people (at this stage) wants to attend?

Online bmad

• Wannabe Poser
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • Vintage Motorcycle Club
Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2007, 08:12:57 am »
Eish!! this is a nice thread.

Firstly for Welsh, good rant - i wish i was a fly on the wall when you wrote that!

Why can the GSC and WDB not be on different weekends? Personally i would like to attend both. I am passionate about riding my bike, whether it be with 4 or 400 people, lets ride.

Most of my riding buddies i met through the GS Challenge. I have been to all and enjoyed. 2005 and pitched up alone and made excellent buddies with a couple of guys. Fortunately my riding skill has moved a notch and i found the green routes boring last year in terms of technical ability and distance, but i had agood time with mates.
There were a couple of "Loners" that camped near us last year. They joined our group and stuck with us and can now call them buddies.
At the end of the day it is about how you approach the events, be it WDB or GSC.

For those that have not attended a GSC, i would recommend you go at least once - This way you can see if you have the right lifestyle attitude, you may be pleasantly surprised.
I am not one for rallies (like the Buffalo, etc), but i do believe that you have to go to one at least for the experience.

So back to the important part, move the bloody dates

:twisted:
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Race Dog
Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2007, 08:20:55 am »
Quote from: "Kaboef"
I think Shark and Uiltjie should kiss and make up.

Maybe we can draw some circles in the sand again this time at the Wild Dog bash, like last year?

My opinion, not be funny or anything, but if our precious Wilddog Bash ends up with hundreds of people (like the GSC) then I will stop going to the Bash.

I'm more of a "small group" person, all the more reason why I would never go to the GSC.
[/b]

That and the fact that until recently you never rode a Beemer :D  :D  :D
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline Snap crackle pop

• Puppy
Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2007, 08:20:59 am »
This is a good suggestion:

Maybe we should have a "final" poll between the the most popular dates to see when most could (as apposed to would) attend. Also, this "final" poll could be held after we know what the location of the bash would be (like EV suggested).

Once we know where we are going the date thing could change anyway.

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Race Dog
Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2007, 08:26:18 am »
Quote from: Steady

My question is, why have the WD bash on the same week-end as the GAGSC?[/quote]

The reason being isthat specific weekend is just so suitable for many people as you can make a lekka long weekend out of it and the weather will be pretty good (I hope).
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Kev

Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2007, 09:57:12 am »
Quote from: "Welsh"
And sorry KEV, but stuff your opinions on the guys partying after a good day, you chose to live in a pasturiesed super sanitised over controlled Banker State (how many km,s have you put on the SE by the way ?).

I choose to live here cos I can live the way I want to, not the "perfect" enviromentally friendly Clone environment. If I want to party, I will party.

Have I ranted enough, I CAN ELLABORATE IF YOU WANT.

Welsh   8)  8)

Eish, Welsh. Settle down. I think you are overreacting a bit here... let me try and explain:

The poll asked an opinion. I gave mine. Why does it worry you so much that I prefer to distance myself from what I classify as hard-core drinking? I have my reasons. I am NOT against having a few drinks... I just dislike the whole drinking culture - the "lets have a drink to be one of the manne" sort of thing.

Personally, I am quite happy to be my own man, to ride my own ride. I do not feel the need to be part of some club or team to feel good about myself. I have nothing to try and prove.

What does living in France have to do with any of this? These Frenchies enjoy their wine. But, you do not see the same drinking culture here than what you see in England for example.

And what has the amount of km's on my bike have to do with anything? :scratch: You guys go 500km in one day... 500 km will take me from France, right through Switzerland... through part of Austria and a good way into Germany. Whats the point in that in?

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2007, 08:00:27 pm »
The 2007 GSC will be 1200 km from Jhb and 1500 km from Durban, seems a long way to go to freeze your ass off? :D  :D
It would seem that this is the reason they are trying to get participants to dedicate an entire week to this event, a far distance to travel for some.
The Capies will score though, I'm sure they have less than 500 km to do to get there.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2007, 08:26:44 pm »
Quote from: "Kev"
Quote from: "Welsh"
And sorry KEV, but stuff your opinions on the guys partying after a good day, you chose to live in a pasturiesed super sanitised over controlled Banker State (how many km,s have you put on the SE by the way ?).

I choose to live here cos I can live the way I want to, not the "perfect" enviromentally friendly Clone environment. If I want to party, I will party.

Have I ranted enough, I CAN ELLABORATE IF YOU WANT.

Welsh   8)  8)

Eish, Welsh. Settle down. I think you are overreacting a bit here... let me try and explain:

The poll asked an opinion. I gave mine. Why does it worry you so much that I prefer to distance myself from what I classify as hard-core drinking? I have my reasons. I am NOT against having a few drinks... I just dislike the whole drinking culture - the "lets have a drink to be one of the manne" sort of thing.

Personally, I am quite happy to be my own man, to ride my own ride. I do not feel the need to be part of some club or team to feel good about myself. I have nothing to try and prove.

What does living in France have to do with any of this? These Frenchies enjoy their wine. But, you do not see the same drinking culture here than what you see in England for example.

And what has the amount of km's on my bike have to do with anything? :scratch: You guys go 500km in one day... 500 km will take me from France, right through Switzerland... through part of Austria and a good way into Germany. Whats the point in that in?

Sorry, missed your response, only picked it up now.

No, I have no objection to your views, but also as in occasional Religious issues here, I can disagree and read the following before judging.

Again I am not a member of the "monitoring body".

Some of us like to ride distance, some (many actually on occasion) like the long solo runs, some small groups, some technical, (we spent 8 hours one day doing under 150km,s it was tough).

But, and this is what "p*ssed me off" never was it a "ride to a dop" like the Sunday morning cruisers and sports bike riders, generally we ride to a start point on tar which might be there destination.

Yes, if we hit a shabeen in the bush hot and dry we will have a beer, and why not.

This is not Europe, it will never be I hope.

No I am not sure if I explained it any better, but its about not judging others by your "standards" it is about accepting others for who they are not what they are.

Ah vark it I think a dop is in order blerry cold here.

Welsh on a soapbox  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2007, 10:03:53 am »
If I said that the Honda campdown in George

this sounds suspiciously "camp"......
so its true what they say about honda riders?  :twisted:  :twisted:  :wink:
is the George "camp"down, part of the Pink Knysna festival?  :roll:  :wink:

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2007, 04:01:37 pm »
Camp Staaldraad?

We follow the same process as last year:

1. Choose the location - by nominating a few, posting the final options(shortlist) which adhere to the criteria as a poll and vote
2. We shall nominate 3 (or so) dates - then vote. These will not clash with the GSC - we do have some GS riders which would like to attend. If you're wondering who they are, just check the 'What bike you ride' thread for the most popular bikes - the numbers speak for it self. I'm pretty sure we'll find a suitable date which doesn't clash with the GSC.  You don't have to like the GSC, but it still remains a popular D/S event that we would not want to spoil.  (SA'ners are known for 'tweespalk')

Please don't go all gung-ho with the bash.  On behalf of good order and due process I shall handle the process of location and date selection. (don't worry we shall vote).  The first step is to nominate a location - please provide the necessary information, feel free to ask questions and give comments.  After that, the mods/admins will reduce the options to about 3 (adhering to the criteria of location, venue and ride options) - then we shall vote. Comprehento?  

See the link http://wilddogtours.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7357

BTW - we shall have a forward looking biking calendar on the new forum

Cheers
Hein

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2007, 04:15:19 pm »
hey i shmaaak a couple of rums and beer after a good day's riding .... an yes i am an adult (i think) an am allowed to do that ,so long as i hurt o one then its all good.

The GS challenge only starts on the monday , so the WD and GSC are not mutually exclusive in my view...

cheers
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki Djebel 250XC
Wild Dog Bash vs GSC
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2007, 04:26:13 pm »
Quote from: "KiLRoy"
 Comprehento?  ...
Hein

Yes sir! we understand the rules.

Offline sillystunt

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
gs challenge vs wild dogs
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2007, 05:30:54 pm »
everybody is whinging and wineing,lets have the both of the events,why cut your nose to spite your face,yes i love the skills challenge and the red route.but i would also very much like to share in other events,rides,company.
the more gigs the better.
i just want to ride and have fun.
We miss 100% of the shots we never take.