My 1st report with KaTieM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ou Ryperd

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R
It was the weekend of 20 - 22 April 07. The destination: Shalom Ministries near Greytown. The event: Mighty Men Conference - presented by Angus Buchan (from Faith like Potatoes fame).

The idea: leave Pretoria early on the Friday, venture from the tar outside of Villiers, go past Vrede, Memel, down Normadien Pass, back on tar to Greytown.

I met the rest of the group at 05:00 at the Midrand Ultra City, and departed to meet the others at Heidelberg. Breakfast was at the Wimpy @ Villiers 1-Stop. Thus far the trip was uneventful and boring - tar is not fun!!
153520568-M.jpg

153520761-M.jpg

The 1st section of dirt to Vrede was good hard packed dirt roads, with little to no sandy sections. From Vrede we took the wrong turn and ended up traveling along a 2-spoor track between the farms - wow!!! Nice and technical, but not a bike breaker.

153521098-M.jpg

153521253-M.jpg

Once in Memel we stopped for refreshments & fuel, and then we went down Normadien Pass - a must when you are in the area. Nice road, some technical sections, steep downhill, but beautiful views!

153519431-M.jpg

153519848-M.jpg

After Normadien, we headed to Greytown through Tugela Ferry. Not a recommended route - the locals are not friendly. After no incidents, we arrived in Greytown where we filled up and rode the last few kms to the farm.

We set up camp, and prepared for the events.

153520195-M.jpg

Sunday morning we left via tar towards Ladysmith, onto gravel to Winterton and then back on tar to Clarens for brunch. At Clarens we split up, and some of us had to ride the stretch of tar between Clarens & Fouriesburg - LEKKER!!!!

In Bethlehem, I rode via dirt towards Vanderbijlpark to meet M and then home.

For my 1st trip with the KTM I was very happy with the bike's performance.