A Karoo story : Solo around the mountain

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NIMMO

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Solo around the mountain

When I woke up this morning this was the first perfect day in the past 6 weeks.
We had no frost and the temp was a crisp 0°C & absolutely no wind.  :biggrin:

I have long been wanting to do a trip heading out onto one of the more desolate roads in the district and then linking up with a couple of sub roads that I have never traveled.

It always surprises me how little we know of our own backyard.  I have been mapping all the sub & sub/sub roads over the past year and have been looking forward to travel this way for a long time now…

The idea was to head out to the right-hand side of Coleskop (NW) and eventually return on a road that returns on the left hand side (W) of the mountain.  Hence “around the mountain”.  The distance was about 160km and time wise about 5 hours.

We have already had 4 times our yearly rainfall and the district is WET, every single fountain is flowing, dams are full and the roads are in a terrible condition because of erosion.  In other words FERFECT conditions for a memorable trip. ;D

This is not so much a RR as a look at how the Karoo looks when it gets rain.

Enjoy:

DSCF8767.jpg

DSCF8769.jpg

DSCF8773.jpg

This low water bridge is about 2meters high and the debris was level with it:

DSCF8774.jpg

DSCF8775.jpg

DSCF8776.jpg

DSCF8777.jpg

Some of the roads were in pristine condition:

DSCF8778.jpg

DSCF8779.jpg

A friend of mine has a farm on the route, but he lives in PE and they don’t come there often.  I thought I would take a slight detour and go see what it looks like there:

DSCF8780.jpg

DSCF8781.jpg

There are MANY farm houses like this just standing empty, being used only when it is hunting season – this one is a 5 bedroom in great condition.  After his dad died his mom moved of the farm and his brother (who has a couple of farms as well) farms it now.

DSCF8782.jpg

DSCF8783.jpg

DSCF8784.jpg

Note the mountain in the background – it is called Chinee’s hoed.
DSCF8785.jpg

DSCF8787.jpg

The reason GPS was invented:

DSCF8789.jpg

DSCF8790.jpg

DSCF8791.jpg

DSCF8792.jpg

The klip koppies a well known sight in the Karoo

DSCF8794.jpg

DSCF8795.jpg

A part of the Seekoei river:

DSCF8796.jpg