A quick trip into Bots and Zim

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynn

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT660
A last minute decision left us about 5 days to get a route and all our documents ready to rumble....  we were warned that it was alot of riding, and well, it certainly was!  But Africa is beautiful, and we got to enjoy some of its beauty for a couple of days!  

What started off as a very unplanned ride ended up being more of a recce ride.  It started becoming clear that in order to do this trip properly, we were gonna need about 2 weeks.  So, we picked up some tips and pointers on the way, but being pushed for time meant we are gonna have to do it next time around.

Here's a couple pics and stuff to show you where we went (and some of the pointers that we were given for next time)

DAY 1:  Pretoria to Ellisras (300kms)

The plan was to leave around 2 o'clock on Friday the 1st July...we got away around 15h30 due to not being able to find a bank with pula....

Packing the bike (this became a bit of an art after a while)

P1010393.jpg

Packed and ready to rumble (waiting outside the bank for Johan to change money into dollars and pula)

DSC01983.jpg

We were off to Ellisras to spend the night before we hit the Botswana border.

When we hit the freeway, my bike started to sway ALOT!  Tried tyre pumping, and realised that I would need to up my suspension on my packed bike, and that my luggage was causing alot of wind resistance.  Battling against your bike is not all that much fun!  :xxbah:

We travelled through naboomspruit (modemolle) to the waterberg, and got to watch the sunset over the waterberg mountains!  Firstly a beautiful sight, and then PISSING cold!  Headed towards Vaalwater and arrived in Ellisras FREEZING!  Suddenly my sissy-girl idea to get heated grips became a legendary idea!   :mwink:

Stayed at Machauka Lodge in Ellisras, had a chow and then hit the bed for an early start!  

DSC01985.jpg

DSC01989.jpg

DAY 2:  Ellisras to Nata (550kms)

Wanted to get an early start, but it was freezing!!

About to leave... brushing teeth

P1010404.jpg

A visit from some buck outside our room

P1010403.jpg

We got away around 8am and headed for the Botswana border....

DSC01991.jpg

Got our passports stamped and headed out - epic fail, thought we got lucky, but nope, we had to go back and stand in the longest queue to pay for road usage and carbon emission taxes...all we needed at this border was our passports really.  Then we were on our way!

Just a quick stop to put our feet and tyres through the foot and mouth disease dip.... (this was gonna happen a few more times)

P1010407.jpg

We were warned that we had to stick to the speed limit cause there were cops everywhere.  It would help if the signs weren't lying on the floor, but the 120kms to 80kms to 60kms zones gave us a chance to stretch our legs at least (alot)!

Headed towards Francistown where I was hoping to get my suspension tightened.  No such luck!  Quick (expensive) nandos and got some braai meat for our first night in Bots!  Headed to Nata Lodge...

Another dip (where Johan even had to dip his slops)...

DSC01997.jpg

Passing through one of the "towns" in Bots

DSC01994.jpg

550kms later we arrived at Nata Lodge and set up camp! US$10 each...not bad for such an awesome spot!

P1010454.jpg

DSC01998.jpg

Set up and ready to chill for the night...

P1010416.jpg

DSC02000.jpg

Who needs firelighters when you got sticks!   :biggrin:

P1010426.jpg

And we have fire.....

P1010428.jpg

P1010430.jpg

And now we chow - a feast fit for kings!

P1010437.jpg

P1010438.jpg

P1010434.jpg

Not the warmest, most comfortable night's sleep ever in the history of our lives, but we survived through the night!

DAY 3:  Nata to Kasane

We were hoping to get a chance to go onto the Makgatigati pans, but we chatted to some of the locals, and it sounded like a whole trip on its own.  We were informed that the closest pans to Nata were waterlogged and therefore not rideable and we would be looking at about 100kms one way to get to the pans, plus you needed extra fuel and water etc.  We weren't equipped, so that will wait until next time.  Johan took my bike in to get the suspension tightened (and we realised later I have a spring tool under my seat) and then we were off to Kasane....

Quite a large hole in my pants which became progressively larger as time went on....

P1010461.jpg

The road from Nata to Kasane was under construction for most of the way.  The cars battled, but for bikes it was just like being offroad... dodging potholes and uneven terrain kept us awake!

P1010465.jpg

P1010468.jpg

The road eventually got pretty decent again!

DSC02017.jpg

Gotta keep your eyes open for these roadblocks....

DSC02018.jpg

We saw alot of animals on the way to Kasane...just chilling on the side of the road.  A few elephant, some warties, a couple wildebeest and some buck.

We were a little concerned about petrol, but there was a petrol station at Pandamatenga... Now remember, a petrol station doesn't mean there's actually petrol...all we found was a little shop and two drunk locals.

Petrol...how bout nope...

P1010472.jpg

Getting away from the drunkies

P1010471.jpg

The roads...

P1010474.jpg

P1010477.jpg

And finally we arrived in Kasane!  Got batted by Chobe Safari Lodge and found one or two other dodgy spots and then came across the Old House Inn.  Perfect little spot on the Chobe River!  

P1010530.jpg

P1010534.jpg

This sunset is definitely worth watching!   :thumleft:

P1010545.jpg

P1010481.jpg

P1010502.jpg

DSC02019.jpg

Next time we'll stay at Kasane for a bit longer...tiger fishing, sunset boat cruising and day trips into Chobe National Park seem to be a must!  Although, motorbikes are a no go into Chobe National Park itself!