Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Deep water?  (Read 841 times)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: Deep water?
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 09:22:49 am »
My post was on what to do if you are still out there!!!

Agree

I won't get into an argument here but I will just say that amongst some good, there is some funky advice given here as well. Remember there is only one oil circuit on this bike your motor and gearbox sees the same oil. 

Warm your bike up and drain the oil again. The fact that your bike runs well says absolutely nothing about the condition of the lubrication. You will not evaporate moisture out of your oil.

I have drowned far too many 2T's and 4T's (not something I am proud of) - never had crank or piston damage, a 2T and 4T's bearings rust in the same way. Often had to pump water out via the plug and ride the bike back - I actually prefer not to run the bike until an urgent oil change is done - if possible.

You don't know if you were lucky or not (as yet)

Yeah, had to replace my WR's engine after drowning it on the rally, even though it got me to the finish, it rusted on the sea on the way back to the US.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250