BAVIAANS SLEEPOVER 9 & 10 JULY - Will it be cold ? Now with J-mo's contribution

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerard

Teelhond
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph 900 Scrambler
Yes ! First light Sunday morning around 0700.

That's -2 degrees.

A friend of mine, Innis' family has a farm on the Western end of Baviaans, just inside of Nuwekloofpas, nestled against the foothills of the Mountain. For those who are familiar with the area, its next to Uitspan and opposite Makadaat.

This is the spot.(looking North)

You camp. Water comes from a stream out the kloof to the north-east and the toilet is behind the bush.The Kloof.

The view from the front 'stoep' looking South and South-east. Makadaat is across the valley.

This is a place where you just sit and stare  into nowhere and it sooths the soul. When we get the chance, which is not often enough, we go there to clear our heads. This past weekend Innis, his brother, Mario, their father, Gerhard and his friend, Eldrid, went and of course I go.

That then is the setting around which we did this ride. I've been ahead of myself so lets get to the beginning.

The Winterhoek road from Steitlerville, along the mountain towards Willowmore and throuh the Winterhoekberg to where it joins the Baviaans road West of Nuwekloof, has long been on my bucket list. I asked J-mo and Bie to come along for the ride. I'm not a photo taker as mostly I forget about it while riding. Hense, despite the many trips I've done , this is my first report. I managed a few snaps, which I'll post, while J-mo, who records his rides on video, prepares the real report.

The plan was loosely to ride to Baviaans on Saterday, camp over and then ride back on Sunday, taking J-mo to some spots he's not been before. We were not in a rush and decided to  ride as it went along. It turned out Bie could not join us on the Sunday ride, as he wanted to visit a friend in Willowmore and needed to get back to the farm at Jansenville.

Saterday morning, meeting J-mo at the caltex on Centenary.

We set out for Steitlerville, where we would meet Bie, and it was cold on the bike. By the time we got to Daniell Cheeta farm we decided we need coffee to warm our hands.

Next pitstop is Kleinpoort.(I have to take oxigen supplement now and again)

We were due to meet Bie in Steitlerville at nine, but are running late, and we learn that so is he. We take our time to warm up a bit and then get going. We meet up with Bie at the Royal Hotel where we have a leisurely breakfast. Its a short ride and there's no rush.

We get going and do what we do, ride gravel. There are signs of the recent rains, but the Winterhoek road is in good condition as a result of which we go quicker than I anticipated. We ride slow to enjoy the scenery with the occasional pitstop to drink in the scenery. The weather is beautiful and the air crispy clean.

Somewhere on the road.

Its amazing just to stand and take in this wide open Karoo expanse after weeks cramped up in a office.

Too soon we reach the Baviaans road. Pitstop. I show these foties just for the enjoyment of the wide open space.

Coffee break somewhere down in Nuwekloofpas. This must be one of the most enjoyable rides to do.

We get to the farm late afternoon, unpack, pitch tent and go for a walk up the kloof. There's a big bak up there which Innis and I wanted too look at as there are ideas of fixing it for accommodation.

Getting better acqainted. Bie and Oom Gerhard discovered they had many mutual acqaintences and immediatly chatted away. It made for easy introductions and set the scene for a pleasant evening. J-mo to the right gearing for the cold to come. Standing on the left is Innis' brother, and Innis with his back to the camera. To the left rear is Welile. He who makes it go round and around on the farm.

Before dark Gerhard gets the quad going and Oom Eldrid takes it for a spin. Note J-mo's tent. We did camp and he got cold.

To be continued.