TOLL FEE´S FOR BIKERS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RainerZA

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
With reference to the past discussions on Toll fee´s I like to (and sure I do that with fellow bikers in mind too) air my frustration and shake my head over the so called generous reductions in proposed toll fee´s. Let´s compare, shall we; For example a minibus taxi with hopefully 4 wheels weighs in at approx. 2000kg´s (empty without passengers!), let´s suppose the average use is around 70% of available seats one can assume another +/- 75kg´s per passenger = approx. 800 kg´s thus bringing the total to approx. 2800kg´s. Now let´s look at your average bike, weight approx. 180 kg´s + 1 rider = approx. 270 kg´s total = around 10% of that of the above mentioned taxi. Besides this logic calculation, a bike has 2 wheels, a taxi 4 (again hopefully). So, looking at the current proposed tariff´s there is an obvious unfairness towards bikers, which are supposedly should increase their base to eliminate congestions, all fair and nice talk, but then Mr. Mahlalela & Ndebele put the money where your mouth is and support us bikers! 11cents per km for taxi´s vs 24 cents per km for bikes!?!?! A fair toll fee would therefore be around 1 cent per km for motorbikes, easy as that. To me this looks like nothing more than (not only bikers) but also other tolled road users will be subsidising the taxi  industry, just another hidden “tax” that one get´s slammed on. What´s the basics here, simple, a bike uses far less space on a highway, a bike travels on 2 wheels, a bike carries less weight = thus less impact on the road to name a few key factors, besides bikes release far less CO², some intelligent people seem to overlook all this with a big smile, already counting the cash filling their bank accounts. I would go as far as saying, anyone smelling the rat here? If we were living in a fair society, this would be impossible to get through, see Europe as an example, which brings me to another issue, how come construction costs per km highway in South Africa are almost triple of those say in Germany? One last point, the surface on our brand new super highway, especially between William Nicol and Buccleuch are already buckling,, one gets the feel of driving over speed bumbs, and we are suppose to pay for this??? Hey fellow bikers, let´s unite, we can boycott, strike, barricade roads and toi toi too (and even without becoming violent), can´t we!!!