HP2 and 1200GS/A Starter Service

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berm_Rooster

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Although I have an HP2, this will be the same for GSandA models I assume?

Problem: Sometimes, when starting the bike I can hear the starter motor running but its not engaging and turning the flywheel. Everyone told me: "Jou bendix is droog, bru." :eek:

Wat de fok is n "bendix"? ???

No, its not a way to cook eggs as I first thought. :BangHead:

Anyhow, here's how to fix:

HP2StartServ1.jpg

Remove the starter, its got two bolts and you'll need a bendy-type socket attachment.

HP2StartServ2.jpg

Put it down on a clean cloth and examine it, take note of where what is and consider filing notches in things that can be installed incorrectly.

HP2StartServ3.jpg

HP2StartServ11.jpg

Note the "teeter-totter" yoke (inside the casing where the solenoid came off) that pushes the starter gear (aka bendix) up and down.

HP2StartServ4.jpg

Here's what it does. It moves the starter gear up and down the shaft to engage and disengage the flywheel. Basically activated by an electromagnet, and returned to dormant position by a spring.

HP2StartServ5.jpg

HP2StartServ6.jpg

3 bolts to hold the solenoid and 2 to hold the motor.

HP2StartServ7.jpg

Next (on the starter motor shaft) you'll have to knock down a stopper ring (which stops the gear (aka bendix) from being pushed out further than required) off of a retainer clip (almost like a cir-clip). If I recall correctly, a 13 tube socket worked for me. You want this off so you can clean underneath the gear.

HP2StartServ8.jpg

I cleaned everything with paraffin. By "everything" I mean the moving mechanical parts, no electric parts like the inside of the motor!

HP2StartServ9.jpg

You can pull the cap off the motor and check the bushes if you want, but IMHO, something else will fail long before the bushes are gone. Consider a soft blast of air to get dust out if you want - but gentle. If you screw up here, you might as well order a new unit.

HP2StartServ10.jpg

HP2StartServ12.jpg

The lineup...

HP2StartServ14.jpg

I put the tiniest amount of graphite grease inside the bendix and the corresponding gears on the shaft, but Q20 will also do. Point is, it has to be clean. Also some lube in the solenoid is not a bad idea, but again, a minute amount

I dont have a picture, but to get that stopper back over the ring was quite a mission! You actually need a gear puller for this, but I managed with 4 different types of pliers between me and my wife. Important there, is not to force it. Once you have the ring compressed with needlenose vicegrips, the stopper should slip on easily. I would suggest you buy or borrow a decent gear puller.

The final product (You'll note I have Loctite fetish. At your own peril...).

HP2StartServ15.jpg

I managed to do this with the help of a tutorial I got off ADVrider for the same job on a 1150GS. In principal, the work is exactly the same. The tutorial is much more detailed telling you what tools are needed etc.
Here's the link:
https://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/squeaking_starter.pdf
Acrobat Reader required.

I have heard op people getting charged exorbitant amounts of money for "rewiring" "replacing" et al, when all that is needed is the above procedure. If you are in a hurry, it can be done in under one hour.

Good luck! :thumleft:

If you missed it, this is the bendix...
HP2StartServ13.jpg

***PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS TO SERVE AS A GUIDE ONLY. IT IS NOT AN APPROVED PROCEDURE. I AM NOT A QUALIFIED TECHNICIAN***