Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW Motorrad SA - take over Husqvarna in SA?  (Read 686 times)

Offline Buks

• RR's no more!!
BMW Motorrad SA - take over Husqvarna in SA?
« on: July 15, 2011, 11:21:58 am »
I visited the "only so-called Husqvarna Dealer in the Western Cape" on Wednesday during a business trip to Cape Town. What a joke  :eek7: :o The place is filled with Chinese brands, the only Husky to see around was a 19voertsek old TE610 that's for sale. There's not even pictures or brochures on Husky's! :bueller:
At least I could buy a Motrix oil filter over the counter  for the same price as a genuine Husky filter from Primrose in JHB  :brushteeth:
 :thumleft: to Primrose for trying to fly the Husky flag and for giving good service!!!
How on earth the current importer can try to market a rather "high profile brand" like this, is beyond me!!! :imaposer:
Now I'm not a fan of BMW's snobbish marketing strategy, but even that will be much better for us (the current fans and owners), as well as for the Husky brand in general! I believe BMW SA may give right to the brand in SA, but I know it will cost us!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 09:05:17 pm by Buks »
2012 Honda XR650L

THE PAST :   '83 Honda MT5; '84 Honda MTX200R; '8? Kawa GPZ550; '79 Honda XL185S; '94 Honda XLR250R; '08 BMW G650Xchallenge; '95 Honda Africa Twin; '10 Honda XR125L; '10 Yamaha XT250; '09 Husqvarna TE610; '10 Honda XR250 Tornado... and more than a dozen Honda + Yamaha ATV's + 1 Arctic Cat DVX400.

Offline exkdx

Re: BMW Motorrad SA - please take over Husqvarna in SA asap!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 09:12:17 pm »
Can't agree more!
BUT
In my experience Primrose is just as bad as your CPT dealer.  They are stuck in the 80's and customer service is something they haven't  heard of (yet). Try and get any accessories for your TE610 from them....they don't even stock Husky stickers or a Husky T-shirt!
KDX200 gone
YZ 250 gone
Husky TE610 one left
KTM 500 XC-W latest addition

Offline Buks

• RR's no more!!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 06:50:33 am »
 :peepwall: Let's hope the 'shift' comes with the release of the Nuda 900R......
2012 Honda XR650L

THE PAST :   '83 Honda MT5; '84 Honda MTX200R; '8? Kawa GPZ550; '79 Honda XL185S; '94 Honda XLR250R; '08 BMW G650Xchallenge; '95 Honda Africa Twin; '10 Honda XR125L; '10 Yamaha XT250; '09 Husqvarna TE610; '10 Honda XR250 Tornado... and more than a dozen Honda + Yamaha ATV's + 1 Arctic Cat DVX400.

Offline Sharingroads

• Bike: DKW (all models)
    • Sharing Roads
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 07:01:33 am »
Maybe they don't care bout the brand. They also distribute Gardena (Hose fittings and stuff) and you must see what a mess that is.

Maybe somebody with cash should open a couple of bike shops, and show the "proffesionals" how to do it.

Any ideas?

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 08:04:29 am »

Maybe somebody with cash should open a couple of bike shops, and show the "proffesionals" how to do it.

Any ideas?

How to make a small fortune out of opening a couple of bike shops........start with a large fortune  :laughing4:
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline dirtWarp

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I crash like a champ!
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 08:05:01 am »
Maybe they don't care bout the brand. They also distribute Gardena (Hose fittings and stuff) and you must see what a mess that is.
That is shocking!

How does anyone walk into such an "establishment" and actually purchase a bike ???

BMW's 450 and x challenge are, I'm sorry to say, also just as tough to sell as a husky. My friend has been battling to sell his x challenge for months. Look at payback's 450 thats been for sale since
forever  :eek7:

..and no Buks, I'm not trying to attack your brand.

All I can say is, good luck.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 08:17:54 am by dirtWarp »

Offline Buks

• RR's no more!!
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 08:34:35 am »
That is shocking!

How does anyone walk into such an "establishment" and actually purchase a bike ???

BMW's 450 and x challenge are, I'm sorry to say, also just as tough to sell as a husky. My friend has been battling to sell his x challenge for months. Look at payback's 450 thats been for sale since
september 2010  :eek7:

..and no Buks, I'm not trying to attack your brand.

All I can say is, good luck.

8) No attack registered!
This time I agree with you! It appears that a G450 Beemer is one of the hardest bikes to sell - even with their fantastic Dealer network. Personally I didn't struggle too much to sell my ex-Xchallenge 2yrs ago. Maybe the X-series BM's is/was just too "modern" for your traditional BMW fan, and the non BMW fans usually steers way clear of the brand.  :-\
As for the Husqvarna brand - I love it for what it is, but I hate the pathetic dealer network! AND that's exactely my point: I don't think Husky will ever be a top-seller in SA, but it deserves WAY better than it's getting now! :deal:
I for one is happily married to my 610  :mwink: ! I don't ride it often, but when I do, it ticks all the right boxes for me, AND thus far it gives me less shyte than the Africa Twin I owned, and it appears that the parts is cheaper too!  :ricky:
2012 Honda XR650L

Offline Buks

• RR's no more!!
Re: BMW Motorrad SA - take over Husqvarna in SA?
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 09:12:37 pm »
 :-[ After the 'circuss' today on the Woema topic under General, I'm beginning to think it's better if BMW SA does NOT take over Husky in SA! Do we really want to be part of all that arrogance?
2012 Honda XR650L

Offline JVR

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 09:54:11 pm »
Did BMW partake in the discusion? :confused5:
Life's not short,it is the longest thing you'll ever do.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 10:05:06 pm »
BMW's rider representatives did.

Offline Mikedabike

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 08:56:43 am »
:-[ After the 'circuss' today on the Woema topic under General, I'm beginning to think it's better if BMW SA does NOT take over Husky in SA! Do we really want to be part of all that arrogance?

Please post the topic to which you refer for us non Woema forum peeps please!
"if your life were to flash before your eyes make sure it is worth watching"

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 09:04:22 am »
Apparently BMW Motorrad SA will have the Husqvarna brand by 2013  :thumleft:

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 09:05:02 am »
fter the 'circuss' today on the Woema topic under General, I'm beginning to think it's better if BMW SA does NOT take over Husky in SA! Do we really want to be part of all that arrogance?

Didnt read the Woema thing, not really interested.

I remember the furore that was caused on the forum when someone, quite legitimately in my opinion, asked whether the low mud guards on a GS bike was a design flaw because of the hassles it caused in mud.   Those low mud guards are not only limited to the BMW brand, so the question wasn't really brand specific, and  it seemed reasonable to expect a bike touted as an (if not THE) all terrain adventure bike shouldn't have a built in problem in that regard.  But nevertheless the words "BMW" and "design flaw" in the same sentence seemed to make a lot of people very cross which seemed plain illogical to me!

All bikes have flaws, none are perfect.  Trying to pretend that is futile.  Getting angry when someone asks a legitimate question is just silly.

I suppose it depends what your reason for buying a bike is.  If you buy it to ride it the way you want to then I think you will be less worried about what other people think and you will know and accept your chosen bike's limitations.  If you buy it to pose with, then if other people dont buy into the posing value of the bike, or say things that may affect the "image" it means your money was wasted and that would make anyone unhappy I suppose.  

But in any event I agree, that sort of thing is not something to look forward to if BMW do become more directly associated with Husky in SA.

Anyway, luckily as Husky riders we are used people queuing up to tell us Huskies are difficult to sell, or being expensive to run or not being reliable and and..... ::). so we arent at risk of developing a rose tinted view of our brand any time soon  :thumleft:

Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline Buks

• RR's no more!!
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 05:47:39 pm »
 :thumleft:
2012 Honda XR650L