Quad vs 2 wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ONTV

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Ok so I finally rode a quad.....

But lets rather start at the beginning.  I normally ride a XR250, still pretty much a novice but it's all in the name of fun.  The family spent the evening at Inkwenkwezi Game Park on Saturday, come Sunday morning the kids wanted to ride the quads, yes I was roped into also riding the quad.

Ok, so was told to forget everything my husband has taught me about riding, I was to just sit and plod along.  Sitting on the quad, the guide and explains where the front and back brake are - huh?  Wheres the clutch then? The quad is a semi-automatic, there is no clutch - again huh?

We're off - as I grab a handful of throttle, theres nothing - only to discover I'm supposed to press the little lever with my thumb.  Changing gears was hilarious, I kept pulling in the "clutch" to change gears. 

Going around the corners was even funnier, here I'm leaning into the corner but the quad is still going straight.  My husband had such a sore stomach from laughing at me.

Conclusion, there is no skill involved in riding a quad. Just sit and plod along.  There is nothing about balance and chosing the correct line etc

Would I choose to ride a quad over a bike - never.  Rather give me 2 wheels.  Yes I'd admit there where places I wouldn't have been able to ride with 2 wheels because I'm still pretty much inexperienced but give me 2 wheels anyday before a quad. 

And yes riding a quad is nothing at all like riding 2 wheels.