My Life journey is a lot like riding my bike...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiledog_X

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
thinking about this a lot lately as i face new challenges in my life....

My Life journey is a lot like riding my bike...

when i come to an obstacle and I hesitate and pull back, i lose momentum, and i cannot get through or over what lies in front of me -
mud, sand, water, rocks, uphill, downhill.... whatever...

when i shrink back in doubt and fear, i fall...
but when i commit, look up and follow through, i succeed!

my bike is the tool i use to face these challenges...
this machine is totally capable;
this machine has the power & ability to cross those obstacles;
this machine is ready to go wherever i want to... if i dare.

but if i don't know my machine's capabilities and how to handle it, i will fall and hurt myself;
if i don't have the skills required by each obstacle to conquer it, i will fall and hurt myself;

but if i learn to use my machine to it's full potential, nothing can stop me;
if i train myself and equip myself with riding skills, i have confidence to overcome any obstacle;
if i learn from others who have gone before me, i will understand what to do to succeed.

so... i can apply this to my time in the saddle, and to my life:
learn new skills to better myself;
get the tools capable of taking me where i want to go;
associate with people who have gone before and succeeded and learn from them;
go out and put into practice what i've learned.

to face my obstacles and challenges with the knowledge that i have done everything i can to prepare myself for the road ahead...
then find the courage to overcome the last and biggest obstacle of all - the one in my mind telling me: "i can't do it"!!!
if you come to the brink and you shrink back, you will not succeed. if you face the test and doubt yourself, you will not overcome!

i may still fall sometimes when i commit, but at least i stepped up and achieved something! then i learn from my mistake,
get back up and do it right the next time around!!

the motto of adventure riding is Stand Up, Look Up, Open Up!

it can be seen as a metaphor for getting through Life:
Stand Up - take action, instead of sitting in fear and doubt - make a decision to do something!
Look Up - put my focus on positive things, shift my vision to a higher goal, change my thinking, be inspired!
Open Up - open the throttle - take off with energy, courage, focus and vision towards my fixed goal!!!

i love being out there in the dirt, sand and mud on my bike. it reminds me every time of how far i've already come, of the obstacles i've already faced and conquered!
it gives me courage and hope to face the challenges in my own life. i still feel that little twinge of fear in my gut, sometimes when faced with a new challenge,
but then i decide to go for it, despite myself... and then i'm rewarded with a rush - yeeehaaaa!!!! i've done it, i've succeeded!!! and i look forward to the next challenge -
stronger, better and mentally prepared!!

i hope this metaphor makes sense... and hopefully it can mean something to someone who needs hope and inspiration in their lives today!