Jaqhama and Shalako-Lin holiday April/May 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaqhama

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki Super Sherpa
These reports are from the ride Lin and I did around our state of New South Wales.
Lin went from riding a DT 175 one day to the Ducati 680 on the next, and she did great!
For the next 3 weeks she rode alongside me from Sydney all the way down to the Snowy Mountains and then all the way up north to Lightning Ridge.
I am so proud of her!

Let the adventure begin...

Nestled in the centre of a huge valley in the upper Blue Mountains, west of Sydney are the ruins of the old shale mining town of Glen Davis.

Shalako-Lin and I were on our holidays and had never been there before.
So one weekend a couple of weeks ago...

We got up early.
UNI_0423.jpg

And rode up into the Blue Mountains.
Early morning mist covering the Megalong Valley, pic taken from the Hydro Majestic Hotel.
UNI_0250.jpg

First stop was at the Redleaf Resort for a full English style brekkie.
UNI_0259.jpg

UNI_0253.jpg

Then it was off towards the small mountain town of Lithgow.
Note the tiny brick cottages, these the original miners homes of a half century ago.
UNI_0269.jpg

Glen Davis is hidden somewhere amongst those mountains.
UNI_0415.jpg

The road is tarred for the first few kms, then it turns into hard packed gravel, then it turns into this.
This is where I came off the BMW, but the sand was so soft neither I nor the bike was damaged.
UNI_0400.jpg

UNI_0403.jpg

I was on my old BMW LS 650 and Lin was on the Ducati 680 speed-kitted track bike. Not the most suitable bikes for talcum powder soft bulldust.
But we battled on and eventually came to this.
UNI_0281-1.jpg

Breathtaking scenery, mountains all around us.
UNI_0291.jpg

UNI_0290.jpg

UNI_0300.jpg

We set up camp at the free campground, complete with toilets and hot showers.
UNI_0293.jpg

Then we went for a bit of a wander, and found some unusual sights.
UNI_0392.jpg

We set off on foot for the now derelict shale factory ruins.
Along the way I found the remains of one of the workers?
UNI_0322.jpg

The ruins are in an unstable state, many have collapsed, some quite recently, we had to be very careful when we ventured inside the crumbling edifices.
They are, quite literally, ready to topple over.
UNI_0351.jpg

UNI_0345.jpg

UNI_0327.jpg

Looking up at the intricate brickwork of the old chimneys. We were very careful here, a sneeze would bring this lot down on top of you.
UNI_0340.jpg

You can just make out the foliage that has over-grown the top of the chimney in this pic.
UNI_0343.jpg

Glen Davis answer to Stonehenge?
UNI_0367.jpg

We made our way back to camp and got the billy on and cooked some tucker.
UNI_0379.jpg

UNI_0297.jpg

The next morning we packed up and headed off back to Sydney.
We loved Glen Davis and will return to explore the surrounding dirt trails on our trail bikes at a future date.
UNI_0407.jpg

UNI_0395.jpg