Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Salisbury Plain 19 March 2006  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Lootch67

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
Salisbury Plain 19 March 2006
« on: March 20, 2006, 11:30:35 am »
Maverick and I met another XRV member (Chad) at the Dartford Crossing and set off on the 190km trip to the Plains. Yes I know we're desperate! We were a bit late but any fear of arriving late quickly evaporated when Chad took the lead and settled into a rather brisk pace - for UK roads that is.

We met two more guys about 130km later when we stopped for a coffee and croissants (we okes is posh you knows...). This was a really welcome break as the temperature was still around 4 degrees and my heated grips had long since stopped making a difference. Being dressed like the OROS man helped to keep the cold out but didn't leave you much room to bend your legs.

Coffee break. From left to right Patrick, Chad and Maverick. Glen (another South African arrived a little later)

We continued on to Amesbury where we were pleasantly surprised that everybody who promised to pitch did actually pitch. In total there was about 18 bikes. Most of them were Africa Twins with 3 Trans Alps, a XR650 and some other Yamaha dirt bike. Looked like a 250 or a 400. There was also a KTM950.

Turnout

Some "before" shots.

My bike - and no, this is NOT dirty

Chad's bike - what a beaut!

After getting rid of some of the excess layers of clothing, deflating my tyres and loosening the mirrors (I later took mine off completely) we set off. The pace was rather sedate as this was the first time off-road for some of the guys, including Glen who arrived on a rather worn rear road tyre. On my advice he deflated his tyre as well and I'm sure it saved his bacon as he managed to stay upright the whole day. Congrats dude!

First stop for a smoke/drink break.

The more experienced guys (I acted like I was one of them  :roll: ) played around in the puddles and rougher terrain every time we stopped.

I was quite worried that we won't get much riding done with such a big group but we did OK. It's quite a sight seeing all 18 bikes spread out across the Plains in a 2km line - there was quite a lot of dust so you had to keep you distance. After riding around for another hour or so we stopped for lunch. Maverick and I first thought about bringing a disposable braai to prepare some boerewors rolls, but eventually decided it might take too long, so we pre-prepared the rolls.

Here's two SAFFAS enjoying their lunch (Maverick and Glen)

Look at those hills in the background. Like the last time we were there I was gagging to try them out but they're strictly off limits. Damn army  :twisted:

The 4 wheel drive club was there as well but I'm sure we had more fun.

And so we continued with our illustrious leader taking ever more adventurous roads which obviously led to a couple of spills. I managed to stay upright but I have to admit I was pretty lucky. The problem with puddles is that you have no idea what's in them. We went through a serious of puddles where I was completely blinded because the water came right over and into my helmet which meant I had to stop. I just hoped whoever was behind me kept a proper following distance.

Man down

A friend in need.....

And just before you ask why this guy was not standing on the pegs - it's because he's only got one leg!  :salute:

Shortly after Maverick had an unfortunate incident which involved so fair sized puddle which hid some very thick mud. Apparently someone else had come off in the puddle but because we were right at the back this bike had already been salvaged by the time we got there. Fortunately, being the gentleman I am :lol: , I let Maverick go first. Not that it made much of a difference as I was still one of the guys who helped drag him out.

Maverick's out! (interpret that whichever way you wish..)

Still smiling though..

Ooh, now that's dirty!

At this point one of the wardens arrived and told us the plain is being evacuated because of a fire somewhere on the plain. We were really disappointed because we had just started to tackle the more technical stuff and there was still about 3 hours playtime left. Still, nothing left to do but to make like a leaf.

Lessons learned? 1) Remove your mirrors from the start. One less thing to worry about especially since the right-hand mirror bolts to the master cylinder which makes it hugely expensive if you should drop the bike and the mirror breaks off.
2) Deflate your tyres - Thanks LITO!
3) Practise the tips mentioned in my previous post (http://wilddogtours.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=394), especially standing up. I've been practising my 8s and it really helped even though most of the practise was done on tar.

All in all a great day out. Maverick will be along shortly to post more pics and his side of the story... I'll post some more once they've been uploaded on the XRV site.

Looking good!!
98 Black AT & the wheel from a 04 KLR 650.

Offline Zonkelnut

• Whatever
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 11:45:20 am »
Lekke man
100001 110010 1101010

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 11:46:36 am »
jislaaik, that is a big group
glad you ous had fun - lekker pics  :D  :D
tks

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 12:13:39 pm »
Awesome stuff. You guys like playing in that mud. I hat the SH1T....

GR8 pics
KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 01:13:35 pm »
Well done guys! Looks like a lot of fun.

18 bikes in the group 8) Nice record to chase! :lol:

Yeah. Nothing beats DS type riding. 4 x4x must be fun but not as challenging and fun as doing on two wheels. 8)

Hats off to the one legged rider! :thumbleft: Makes me feel ashamed that I sometimes consider a particular hazard on a trip too much for me without even trying.  :oops: Well done!

Mud. Love to hate it! :lol:
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Lootch67

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 01:30:10 pm »
We were very lucky this time as it was really dry! Most puddles we went through could've been avoided if you really wanted to, but with so many people to help you pick up the bike there's really no better time to practise.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 02:34:34 pm »
And you had some sunshine as well !
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Kev

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 02:38:50 pm »
Very nice Lootch. You guys are living it up... croissants, coffee, boerewors rolls, dirty bikes... and you even had excellent blue sky! Perfect!

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 02:53:51 pm »
It was a brilliant day out and the weather was definitely in our favour, was at least 10 degrees :D Will post my piccies up tonight as I did not have the time to download them last night. Yep Bob with his one leg can certainly teach us one thing and that is to take some risks and live life in the full 8) He made it much further through the puddle than I did and my bike dropped where he managed to keep it fairly upright untill we reached him to give the man a hand :wink:
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline Lootch67

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 05:35:40 pm »
I very nearly went down in this exact spot..

All cleaned up now but I've missed a couple of spots.

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 05:51:40 pm »
Quote from: "Lootch67"

The AT in the mud behind the yammie is smeeeeeeeee that's why I did not go down there :D
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Pretoria
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 07:06:02 pm »
Quote from: "Maverick"

The AT in the mud behind the yammie is smeeeeeeeee that's why I did not go down there :D

Just funny how the guy went down on the alternative "easy" route! (It looks easier than the puddle but maybe snot slippery as well?) Looks like something that can happen to me! :lol:

Offline Lootch67

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 07:13:50 pm »
The easy route has a couple of ruts and is very slippery....

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 11:57:05 am »
:read: Ja boys so coz we Saf afrikens is so fekin well hard decided to brave the cold and meet up at the countess services close to Salisbury plains.
Even though I had my doubts the whole week about the weather and if everbody is going to show was pleasantly surprised by the outcome of the day.

Chad's pimped AT next to the original couldn't of asked for a better example of classic and modern.

Don't be fooled this grumpy lot had to be asked to look at least like they enjoyed it, I think secretely deep down they did anyway :director:

Decided to play tail end charlie as we had a big group, got the phone out and took some riding shots....

Da Katie M, this my friends reminded me that you should never be fooled that the bike makes the ride. This bloke had his KTM for 18 months now
and looked like he was riding on egg shells all the way. 1/2 way through I mentioned that he should try standing on the pegs as it makes for easier handling.
So don't go and buy a kick ass bike if you think it's gonna make you a better rider.

Ohhhh look at that long gravel road ahead... :brave:

Had to overtake the whole lot for some more piccies

The posse rollin in

Me still relatively clean...

The first few puddles made a slight impression on my bike :geek:

Sunlight, KTM, shadow - what more do you want out of a picture (well a little mud on the bike would do)

On the road again.......:headbang:

Come on sing along

On the road again
Just can't wait to get on the road again
The life I love is makin' music with my friends
And I can't wait to get on the road again

On the road again
Goin' places that I've never been
Seein' things that I may never see again,
And I can't wait to get on the road again.

A quick pitstop to gather the troops for the next road Dave's gonna take us down, he sure did a swell job of leading and nominate Dave as Chief Plains rideout leader

Our lunch break certainly turned out interesting, this baby packs a small block Rover V8

The lunch stop was very welcomed by all and the tea hut I am sure appreciated the additional business

Mrs Maverick wants one of these for xmas

Right boys this is down to serious business, follow me :withstupid: mud for everyone to enjoy!

The aftermath :shock:

I did it for my country :D

Bob showing me how it should be done (keep in mind this guy has only got one leg), I did not make it this far before doing my submarine stunt

No of course not officer none of us was speeding on the plains

Well fella's this was a fun day out, weather could not of been nicer and the company sure was excellent.

I will leave you with the rest of the lyrics so you will be singing this song untill the end of the week

On the road again
Like a band of gypsies we go down the highway
We're the best of friends
Insisting that the world be turnin' our way
And our way
Is on the road again

On the road again
Like a band of gypsies we go down the highway
We're the best of friends
Insisting that the world be turnin' our way
And our way
Is on the road again

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Cape Town
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 12:42:47 pm »
bliksem..they are dirty....
the guy with the one leg....
is it the gear side? or the other - and how does he do the gear-change/braking?

nice pics guys  :thumbright:  :thumbright:  :thumbright:

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 01:23:14 pm »
Quote from: "macduff"
bliksem..they are dirty....
the guy with the one leg....
is it the gear side? or the other - and how does he do the gear-change/braking?

nice pics guys  :thumbright:  :thumbright:  :thumbright:

Maccie it's definitely on his gear side but to be honest I did not ask or check his bike regarding the logistics of it. Will ask Bob when we see him again. The guys who made his leg prosthesis out of carbon fibre did the HRC Honda Racing stickie for him :D Not sure how much movement he's got with it. One thing I can tell you is the man is absolutely fearless and does not stand back for a challenge 8)

Offline X Banana Boy

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2006, 03:55:34 pm »
Cool report.  Like the SA flag on the swing arm

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Cape Town
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2006, 05:33:48 pm »
Quote from: "X Banana Boy"

hes a south african swinger  :roll:  :roll:

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2006, 05:59:16 pm »
Quote from: "macduff"
Quote from: "X Banana Boy"

hes a south african swinger  :roll:  :roll:

Hey it's my park and I can swing if I want too :D

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Pretoria
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 11:52:28 pm »
The easy route has a couple of ruts and is very slippery....

The "easy" appearance of mud sections are very deceptive. Bought by first "farm" going through a quite smooth and tame looking patch of mud back on my first real offroad run.