Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW-on-call that SUCKS  (Read 2222 times)

Offline mountainboy

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • I vespa, therefore I am, well, almost....
BMW-on-call that SUCKS
« on: May 23, 2007, 09:58:19 am »
Thought I share this with the forum

Based on the 'what bike you ride' poll,its est that at least 30% of us ride BMW's.Its a great bike with great service (apparently) but lately there's been loads of complaints in this regard.

So I got home last night and noticed my first flat.What luck,I'm at home and have that BMW on call -so no problems. Call them,spent nearly 15 mins on the phone trying to find my bike on the system,open case no and have the technician dispatched.How long i asked -45 min they promised.No big deal,I'm at home anyway.
 An hour later I received another call form the call centre and listen to this : "Sir,the technician on call has informed me theat he has no vehicle and therefore cannot attend to ur problem.I've also tried calling the area manager (or someone) but no answer there". Well ,lets call that technician again -this is apparently a 24/7 service thats legendary.But the freaking technician on call no longer answers his phone.A 'stuff you" attitude

What if I had broken down at night in some dodgy area fearing for my life????? The call centre girl was very apologetic and promised this would be sorted first thing in the morning since I commute everyday.

At 8am,no call.I phone then back and after 5 mins listening to that ridiculous "ur call is important to us" crap,I hung up.Cell phone calls are xpensive.

My 15 min commute to town turnued into a 45min "curse those BMW guys" trip in my cage :evil:

There still has been no call back from them.

My 650 is a great bike but no better than the other 650's out there IMO. A big deciding factor was their service and on-call history -so far I've had none of that.In fact -there service leaves alot to be desired

Given the nature of our sport,this service is vital to me.

Pls be aware that if you do breakdown - BMW service might just breakdown with you

I'm freaking pissed.

That new Honda 700 is looking really good at the moment[/b]
I love my bike..................

Offline Zonkelmonk

• Whatever
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Yo! Sup?
BMW-on-call that SUCKS
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 10:19:38 am »
Mountainboy, besides the fact that BM should help you (I still think they have the best service), you should fix a flat yourself. it is something that WILL happen far in the boendoes and then u need to know how to fix it.

I was scared myself until I had 2 do it. It is actually very ez. the most difficult part is the fear of doing it. Get over that and a flat is 40 minutes (20 minutes to wait for glue to dry and patch to set) out of ya day.

U can ask CrazyEyes how to fix a flat. He showed me and he will help u anyday.
100001 110010 1101010

Offline mountainboy

• Race Dog
BMW-on-call that SUCKS
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 10:34:28 am »
Thanks ZNut

Totally agree with you wrt fixing the flat myself -have done some flats in the past (well vespa's only) and plan to become fully self reliant but my point I wish to bring across was the breakdown service I received.

I was lucky that I was home at the time -so no biggie but I shudder to think when I really need them. For new guys like myself,not knowing the finer details of the bike and the sport,having this service always made me more confident in going out there.

Its the principle - not the actual problem

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
BMW-on-call that SUCKS
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 11:07:53 am »
Agree with Zonkel, you fix your own flat and especially if you're at home and not in the bundus. First lesson learned :wink: That's why they call it roadside assistance and not Home assistance :)

Hamman is the dealer contract for roadside assistance, if it is really a problem for you, contact BMWroadside and tell them you're not happy with this.

I am sure if it was a more severe issue stranded on the road they would have no problem in making a plan quickly, like they have for many others I know of. A bike at home with a flat wheel is not really a crisis in anyone's books.

Offline mountainboy

• Race Dog
BMW-on-call that SUCKS
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 11:28:35 am »
Point taken and lesson def learnt

Gonna spend that 2 hrs later fixing the flat (and getting those tyre levers)

But I'll be lying if I said it does'nt leave a bad taste in the mouth.Just don't do empty promises well

Thanks for all the tips -I think I've cooled down now  :roll:

Offline Oom Pad

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • BM's is ook dors
BMW-on-call that SUCKS
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 11:50:47 am »
Mountianboy I had a similar expierience,just a different problem.Bought a R1200gs last year Sept and rode for 1000 k's.Had it first service and directly afterwards me and three other beemers were of to the Rhino in Harrismith.1223 Km's there.Coming back we wanted to do our own Iron butt run and left Harrismith Sunday morning 06H30 ,stopped in Graaf Reinette at 13h30,had lunch and left at 14H15.Leaves us 4Hrs to do +- 320 kms.Well 5k's outside Graaf Reinette 1200GS DEAD as a dodo.Phoned the backup service and firstly they wanted to book me into a hotel for the night.Wonderful but I have a conctruction bussines and it is rather difficult to communicate instructions by telephone.Then after numerous calls to the technition it was agreed that he is on his way to collect the bike.Left the bike outside a garage in the street so he could find it easy.Rode pillion with a beemer to Willwmore were i was picked by the family. Three days after I phoned to find out what the problem was and if I can collect it.Surprise I was asked excactly where the bike is standing.So yes another not so good experience with BMW.Any other beemers experienced battery problems with new bikes?In George there is 7 so far that I know of.
When everything is coming your way,you're in the wrong lane.
Now also with XT 500

Steady

BMW-on-call that SUCKS
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 11:59:31 am »
mountainboy, I sincerely hope that you did not break a finger nail dialing the BMW on call telephone no. You should be ashamed of yourself, good luck with the Honda.

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
BMW-on-call that SUCKS
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 12:04:42 pm »
MB, I feel also it is the principle.  It might not have been a real crisis, but then the call center lady should have told you from the start that this was gonna be a low priority call.
personally I would have driven to a all night garage, got some tyreweld, squirted in in and let them sort it out on the next service ...

Pad- There was some talk on the BeeEm site about this - there are (to my understanding) two parts to this problem. The 1st is that the new 1200's work with a electronic management system. You don't have wires  talking to the different electrical components on their own anymore. You now have a 'network' with all your components connected just to power and a central 'network' (should be transmitted in the power cable). A Central computer sends a signal with the component's address to tell it to work (start flashing, make a noise or whatever). The beauty of this system is way less wiring and easier trouble shooting, but it is also the case that NOTHING works if the battery goes *poof*. You can't even bump start the bike.

This brings me to the 2nd thing (again this is my understanding). The new BeeEms comes with a new 'gel type' battery that doesn't like being 'speedcharged'. It in fact damages the battery. When they prep a brand new bike they usually do this, damage the battery ever so slightly (ie shorten its lifespan) and then give it to you. At some point after that the battery just unexpectedly dies and (like you know) you are totally stranded...

Not good ...

So your bike stood outside for three days ?
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline mountainboy

• Race Dog
BMW-on-call that SUCKS
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 12:09:48 pm »
Juslaaik -puts my problem into perspective

In hindsight -I have to agree that I should've fixed the flat myself. Actually a blessing in disguise. I gather it will take a year or two before I will be completely self reliant (experience together with ALL tools) and in that time I will rely heavily on BMW. I was just blown away by their response   :shock:

Offline mountainboy

• Race Dog
BMW-on-call that SUCKS
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 12:24:46 pm »
Quote from: "Steady"
mountainboy, I sincerely hope that you did not break a finger nail dialing the BMW on call telephone no. You should be ashamed of yourself, good luck with the Honda.

Steady - I'll be honest and say that I DO NOT know how to fix a flat on this bike :o Did read the tech tips tho. This little episode just made me realise what we as new DS riders actually need to do to avoid being in over our heads when out in the 'bundus'.

Which brings me to another point -why don't we organise training sessions for all (new and old) and those with certain skills can share them. I do loads of trips in the mountains in winter and can be very self reliant wrt gear,food,orientation etc. Skills that will help when I'm alone in the middle of nowhere.

The jist I get on this forum is that there are loads of new ppl and more joining everyday.

lets turn this into a positive.....

Offline Miena Moo

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
BMW-on-call that SUCKS
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 12:27:31 pm »
Do BMW on call wash dirty Stofkoeie ook?  :D  :D
MOOOOOOOOOOOO  
Proud owner of a F650GS WITH A CENTER STAND

Offline Oom Pad

• Pack Dog
  • BM's is ook dors
BMW-on-call that SUCKS
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 12:28:27 pm »
Quote from: "Eisbein"

For three days in the main road in Graaf Reinette.Makes me wonder why it wasn't stolen.
Now also with XT 500

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
BMW-on-call that SUCKS
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 12:36:20 pm »
Pad.

Sorry if I sound like a KTM rider, but BMW on call does NOT fix flats and if your bike is less than 100km from u home. Forgive me if I am wrong but when I bought my 1200GS in 2005 the dealer told me to study the booklet about BMW on call.

I never used them but some forum members here (MJ) had GREAT service from them.

Fixing a flat is something you have to do yourself cos its going to happen often. 8)
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Oom Pad

• Pack Dog
  • BM's is ook dors
BMW-on-call that SUCKS
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 12:39:37 pm »
Quote from: "Ama ride ride"
Pad.

Sorry if I sound like a KTM rider, but BMW on call does NOT fix flats and if your bike is less than 100km from u home. Forgive me if I am wrong but when I bought my 1200GS in 2005 the dealer told me to study the booklet about BMW on call.

I never used them but some forum members here (MJ) had GREAT service from them.

Fixing a flat is something you have to do yourself cos its going to happen often. 8)

Agreed but I had the battery problem 300 km's from home
Now also with XT 500

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
BMW-on-call that SUCKS
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 12:45:17 pm »
Can it really be called "Adventure Riding" if you have BMW on call waiting for your phone call?   :)
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
BMW-on-call that SUCKS
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2007, 12:59:18 pm »
This past weekend there was a guy who burnt out his clutch from riding stupidly on sand.
He phoned BMW assist and they sent a bakkie from Donfords BMW, Stellenbosch.
I also had some problems with a sticky throttle (fouled with sand) and asked the driver if he would take my bike as well (without arranging it with them beforehand). He had no problem and loaded it up even though I have never had any dealings with Donfords BMW.

I could have fixed the problem myself but the weather was crap and I didn't feel like working on my bike that day.
They took it home where I could fix my bike at my own time.

BMW Assist is OK in my books

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
BMW-on-call that SUCKS
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2007, 01:07:51 pm »
Quote from: "Pad"

For three days in the main road in Graaf Reinette.Makes me wonder why it wasn't stolen.

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Mountainboy, Hamman does offer saturday offroad workshops for free.
Not riding classes - it is at their shop and it's introductions to all things 'offroady' - fixing tyres amongst others. Maybe give them a tinkle ?

Haven't been there - maybe someone here can comment on it ?
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
BMW-on-call that SUCKS
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2007, 01:12:15 pm »
Not riding classes - it is at their shop and it's introductions to all things 'offroady' - fixing tyres amongst others. Maybe give them a tinkle ?

I have been

It's fairly informative but I suspect members who have been active on this forum for a while will probably know more.
The best thing is the free beer and boeries
the GPS talks are good. Presentations are given by one of our members: JohanGPS

Offline mountainboy

• Race Dog
BMW-on-call that SUCKS
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2007, 01:13:35 pm »
I'm making a point of becoming completely self reliant (too a point of course) . I had a feeling of complete safety with the vespa in the Cederberg in that if I crashed her or something broke,chances were I could fix it.

I want that same feeling with the GS (or close to it). I can see many hours to be spent on this forum learning new things and unlearning bad habits

Offline mountainboy

• Race Dog
BMW-on-call that SUCKS
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2007, 01:17:04 pm »
Quote from: Eisbein
Quote from: Pad

Ja -I missed the last two due to other fam committments but now I'm making a point of going to the next one. This highlighted serious flaws in my biking :shock: