9 years ago I was an IDIOT. WARNING : GRAPHIC PHOTO CONTENT !**

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hando

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
EDIT : today marks 9 years from the day I posted this.

If you are a newbie - read this and learn from my mistakes.

END EDIT.

My first boss used to say that a pocket knife is never really yours until you have cut yourself with it. If I had to apply that logic to bikes then my F650GS is now officially mine.

This morning I finally managed to get all the paperwork sorted out to get Jemima (my F650GS) registered on my name. As I got home I decided to clean the chain and lube it before going for a ride with a friend.

IDIOT WARNING !!!!!

So to clean the chain , I started the bike and put it in gear . Yes I know (now) that this was the start of a very bad (and painfull) plan.

I had a piece of cloth that I was using to wipe the chain in my left hand. And then, quicker than you can think is possible, the rear sprocket grabbed the cloth and next thing I remember is hearing the bone in my left thumb crunch as the sprocket and chain tore the first 1cm of my thumb off. That crunching sound is going to haunt my dreams for a while still.

I got up , switched off the iginition and called my landlord to take me to hospital. Not having a medical aid means I was taken to Provincial hospital here in Uitenhage. I must commend the staff at Provincial for doing as well as they can with the resources they have. The place is clean , the staff are friendly and competent and they helped me as well as, I think, I could have been helped at a private Hospital.

Anyway - I have a pic of my thumb before they started fixing me, but it is very graphic and I am not sure what the mod's feeling will be about me posting it - will wait to hear.

Eitherway - Please let this serve as a warning to fellow dogs and newbies like me. Do not clean or lube your chain with your bike in gear and idling. Accidents happen extremely quickly.

I will not be able to ride my bike for a while after this and my thumb is EXTREMELY sore. I am typing this with my right hand only.

Please, please, please learn from one IDIOT and do not become another one. I could have lost my hand!!!!!!

IF the MODS ok it - I will post the other pic as well.
EDIT : Posted the other pic after consultation with a MOD.

PLEASE NOTE - it is Graphic content.

Attachments

• 23072011134.jpg
    23072011134.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 2,934
  • 23072011133.jpg
    23072011133.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 2,889