Cold, Wet and Windy 4 Days ! RR completed !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alienhost

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Right i finally got to do my first proper SA Adventure Ride , 4 days and 1635 KM ! My bike had been kitted with panniers which were from my bicycle and i modified them a bit to make them more rigid,i also managed to find another bag which fits perfectly on the back carrier. I added a White strip of LED lights to my hand gaurds which i had made up in Sham Shui Po ( Hong Kong) for a mere R45, i dropped from a 47 tooth rear sprocket to a 41 and inflated my tires to 2 Bars to also help with the speed issue, next my tank bag managed to work as the CTX has a metal tank and just incase i had a cigarrette socket installed and i strapped a 5L petrol can to the front carrier.  I was armed with 3 cameras. The new Drift 170 helmet cam, my Nikon digital camera and my Canon EOS 50D which i strapped to the seat behind me.
Joining me on this trip was my brother( Darryn) on his WR250F, now he has an 8L tank and mine is 8.5L so we had to plan our fuel stops.
DAY 1: We managed to depart Milnerton ( Cape Town) at about 9:30am and our route was Stellenbosch, Franshoek, Caledon, Riviersonderend,Swellendam, Riverdale and Mossel Bay.

DSCN6507.jpg

Me all packed and ready to go.
DSCN6514.jpg

We stopped at Riviersonderend for lunch and saw these old Ox Wagons out the back.
DSCN6522.jpg

Going up Tradouw Pass the weather started to get worse, this was a really nice pass and will do it again when sunny.
DSCN6523.jpg

Sure looks nice down there in the Valley.
IMG_2542.jpg

Darryn found a water crossing to do, not having waterproof boots and being far away from our destination i skipped it.
IMG_2527.jpg

Darryn used every stop to chat with the locals, he likes making new friends but seems to attract the Village Idiot all the time. ;D
IMG_2560.jpg

It wasn't too long befor we had reached Ronnies, time for a quick drink and off again.
IMG_2565.jpg

Just love the decoration in this place, judging by how much underwear is hanging in the pub i'm sure some wild parties must go on here. :drif:
IMG_2556.jpg

I just love being able to park right outside a place and not having to pay a car gaurd.
It was now getting a bit late and we turned off the R62 onto a dirt road towards Gysmanshoek Pass, this road was busy being repaired and had lots of loose gravel on it plus the occassional hole.
DSCN6527.jpg

Gysmanshoek Pass was a little wet, now remember i made sure my tires were rock hard, well i never deflated them and that made this section even more tricky for me. The mud wasn't deep but just enough to keep you very alert, truely enjoyable though  :ricky:
We filled up at Riversdale at 6pm and hit the N2 towards Mossle Bay, our bikes don't have great lights afterall !
IMG_2571.jpg

On arriving at our Guest House i noticed just how dirty my pants were even with that huge mudflap on my bike  ???
IMG_2572.jpg

My panniers seemed a bit muddy too, hope i can wash them somewhere.
IMG_2579.jpg

I managed to wash everything in the sink  :peepwall: next was to dry them next to the heater.
IMG_2581.jpg

Avenues Guest house is pretty good and Biker Friendly.
IMG_2569-1.jpg

Parked right outside our room and if you have more expensive bikes Mieke( Owner) was willing to park her car outside so we could use her garage  :thumleft:
So with the completion of todays ride we covered 536KM's and my fuel consumption average was 5.57L/100KM. Most of the ride was Tar but the next few days it will be gravel(dirt roads ) mostly.