Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Awesome OSSA relaunched  (Read 919 times)

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
Awesome OSSA relaunched
« on: July 28, 2011, 08:08:33 am »
Legendary Spanish Trials manufacturer Ossa is back with an all-new motorcycle called the TR280i.

The Spanish firm, made famous for its trail and trials bike also won four 250GPs on a road race bike ridden by Santiago Herrero.

He won at Yugoslavia in 1970 and three GP races in 1969 in Spain, France and Belgium, They withdrew from road racing after he died at the 1970 Isle of Man TT.

The relaunched Ossa company has an all new website with some incredibly cool old footage of its bikes from the seventies.

They’re expected to also launch a road-based trail bike next year according to sources.

The  :o stuff:

Its headline bike, the remarkable 67kg TR 280i. Yes, that’s just 67kg..

The motor is a 272 cc two-stroke, with its single cylinder tilted backwards and the injection system and filter box on top.

The radiator is behind the fuel tank and filter box, where it won’t get splattered with mud. This unusual but logical arrangement also lowers the center of gravity—obviously critical on a trials bike—and also results in a shorter exhaust system. The suspension is equally well thought out: Marzocchi provides the forks, and Öhlins has adapted its TTX system for the rear mono shock. An oversized 40mm upside-down fork configuration is in the works, which will keep unsprung weight even closer to the ground. And the chassis is a mix of aluminum and chrome molybdenum steel, designed to keep welding to a minimum.

Courtesy of BikeExif

« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 12:48:02 pm by Beserker »
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Online 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Re: Awesome OSSA relaunched
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 08:18:01 am »
Amazing!! Saw some photos that Grizz posted, this is a beautiful machine! Rode the old Mick Andrews Replica 250 in the 70's. Veglia Borletti speedo clamped to the lower forkleg!

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 08:29:37 am »
I have to say, if I wasn't as dik as I am foot up trials would have been my sport of choice.

Something about these machines and how they can be ridden have been tickling me since I saw it the 1st time.

This one is clearly made by people who understand the sport and is good at what they do.

Amazing.

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Go Big

• Race Dog
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 08:32:03 am »
Only problem is they ar the most expensive on the market or so I have heard.
THE FASTER YOU GO THE MORE YOU SEE!!!

Offline GRIM

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 08:49:46 am »
Not too bad actually, but yes, the most expensive.

And it's very, very nice to ride...

:blob1: :blob10: :blob3: :blob5: :blob6: :blob7: :blob8:

Alcohol is essentially nature’s Leatt Brace – with it, you might not be able to move worth sh*t, but you can take a slam or two and be no worse for the wear.

Offline gser

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 08:57:25 am »

and it's a 2T FI , I like !
 Yeppy !
 When will BMW/Husky , KTM , and rest to follow ?

Offline tok-tokkie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 09:41:30 am »
I really admire designs like this where the fundamentals are identified & the design sets about addressing just that.  I always stop to look at mountain bikes because many of them are similar in design approach.

An interesting thing I learned recently.  Most trials bikes have front suspension spring in just one leg & the  hydraulic damping in the other - to minimise weight.  Makes a mockery of people saying it is vital to have the same spring tension & hydraulic fluid level each side.

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 09:48:49 am »
I really admire designs like this where the fundamentals are identified & the design sets about addressing just that.  I always stop to look at mountain bikes because many of them are similar in design approach.

An interesting thing I learned recently.  Most trials bikes have front suspension spring in just one leg & the  hydraulic damping in the other - to minimise weight.  Makes a mockery of people saying it is vital to have the same spring tension & hydraulic fluid level each side.

I also love and appreciate good design.

I think when the bikes goes faster the shocks must be the same though - I have a bike years ago where the one side leaked all of its oil - the bike became 'headshakey' due to the uneven 'bobbing' of the front.

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 10:21:51 am »

I think the HP2 has different damping per fork leg and it causes big kark, early fork wear etc 8)
The guys say they can do a Pistol on their 3D printer, not impressed I have had a Canon printer for years.

Offline Motties

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Was Darksider
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 11:03:57 am »
I have to say, if I wasn't as dik as I am foot up trials would have been my sport of choice.
Same here.

Awesome sport!! Awesome Bike!!
'16 KTM 300 XCW

Online 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 11:09:32 am »
Does Ossa still belong to the Spanish? The reason I ask is that in the 70's and a long time after that, the top 3 trials bikes were Spanish, namely Bultaco, Montesa and Ossa. Amazing. Yet Bultaco and Montesa is, If I am not mistaken, Spanish no more.

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 11:22:38 am »
As far as I can tell, OSSA is still Spanish...the first run of 250 units is for the Spanish market only..
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline GRIM

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 12:35:11 pm »
As far as I can tell, OSSA is still Spanish...the first run of 250 units is for the Spanish market only..

SA got 1.

Unfortunately it's sold. and not to me  :-\

But I did get to ride it,very interesting. They shave off all the weight, then add individually ball mounted spokes to the rear wheel?
Alcohol is essentially nature’s Leatt Brace – with it, you might not be able to move worth sh*t, but you can take a slam or two and be no worse for the wear.