Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Green Tax  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Pom

• Amateur Grease Monkey
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Ducati Hypermotard
  • Non bastardus carborundum
Green Tax
« on: May 24, 2007, 04:05:54 pm »
On the net today there are reports of a Green Tax being imposed on SUV's and Hatchbacks over a certain size. The proposal is that levies will be charged on dufferent vehicles ranging from 2% to 33% of the purchase price. I wonder how long it will take for the Government to propose the same on bikes?
Success is a matter of hanging on, after others have let go.
Proudly Ducatisti

bobnob

Green Tax
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 04:34:15 pm »
saw it

the problem with our country is that we are a penalty based country

instead of giving penalties they should give incentives

you want people to use smaller cars make the smaller cars much much much cheaper - give the smaller cars tax cuts, etc.

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
Re: Green Tax
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 04:39:03 pm »
i say tax em all ....

cept me of course
Born to lose, live to win!!

Extreme Velcro

Green Tax
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 04:40:43 pm »
I have already written a letter to NEWS 24 on this issue stating that I am fine with SUV's being taxed extra, but then to be fair two wheelers should be rewarded for being fuel efficinet, damaging roads less and for being a potential solution to traffic problems.

I am also putting up a petition on the petition website urging the government to look at these issues and the toll issue in the next fortnight as well as I will organise a march/ride? to protest etc etc. in the future.

Please give me time though - I will put this together as I put any other rights campaign together, but I am inundated at the mo with the canned hunting issues and and and... But I will keep you all posted on this because it will need your support.  

I know this post is rushed, but if you can help me - I will be so grateful.  PM me if you are keen to help.  I will need someone to research facts and figures for me !

Thanks

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
Green Tax
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 04:57:44 pm »
Joan of Arc :lol:

Extreme Velcro

Green Tax
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 04:59:24 pm »
NO - I would never let the church burn me !!!!!  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

But Warrior Woman - that's me..... :D  :D  :D  Don't complain, make them change!

GS-holic

Green Tax
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 05:00:22 pm »
EV,

Just to confirm - you are on my side :?, we are friends right? - Don't want to be on your wrong side.

I say If they want to tax, tax vehicles that are plain fugly / rusty / smokey, like TATA, Scorpio, KTM, Proton, etc
 :wink:

shark_za

Green Tax
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 05:47:44 pm »
I would bet my SUV uses less juice and is more enviro friendly than most of your cages.
This is just madness because the money will not be used for conservation projects.

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
Green Tax
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 06:00:35 pm »
Quote from: "GS-holic"
EV,

Just to confirm - you are on my side :?, we are friends right? - Don't want to be on your wrong side.

I say If they want to tax, tax vehicles that are plain fugly / rusty / smokey, like TATA, Scorpio, KTM, Proton, etc
 :wink:

I can see that :x  :x  :wink:  :lol:  :lol:

Extreme Velcro

Green Tax
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 06:03:04 pm »
Not my teeny weeny cage - it's only 800 cc's and uses nearly as little petrol as the bike.

But sure, there might be some SUV's that don't guzzle gas, but let's be honest, unfortunately on the whole they do.

I am aware that there are similar taxes in many places in the world, so one maybe needs to look at this tax as not an SA issue only, but one that is already in place in many countries and is being potentially made law in many others.  Many governments are attempting in this manner to encourage people to see small, fuel efficient vehicles as a preferable option.

I do agree 100% that to encourage a two wheel option by rewarding rather should become part of this proposed issue and that NOW is the time to push it and put it on the agenda.

shark_za

Green Tax
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 06:06:39 pm »
Only motorcycle that use less than 4l per 100km , like the chinese and indian 125cc should get tax rebates.

Expensive luxury vehicles like KTM, BMW should be taxed.
See, this is how they think. If its expensive, you can tax it as the buyers are rich anyway.

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
Green Tax
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 06:13:50 pm »
And KLR's sir, that's why they come standerd with a 23l tank, not to go further but for using more fuel than a Triumph Rocket.

And it's a missus Doctor that suggested it. Don't know what kind of Doctor degree it is she have :?

YOUR FUTURE

Extreme Velcro

Green Tax
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 07:47:36 pm »
Quote from: "shark_za"
Only motorcycle that use less than 4l per 100km , like the chinese and indian 125cc should get tax rebates.

Expensive luxury vehicles like KTM, BMW should be taxed.
See, this is how they think. If its expensive, you can tax it as the buyers are rich anyway.

But they are NOT targeting luxury vehicles etc. otherwise they would be targeting every car that cost more than a certain amount.  They are targeting SUV's...

And once again, two wheel options use less petrol than most cars, unless you are really cranking it over long distances - well then I guess, pay the fuel bill, babies.  

However, I do still believe that two wheels cause less damage to the roads (in general) and use less space, so are a viable solution to traffic issues, so riding two wheels should be rewarded.

And I do feel for those whose 4 x 4's are used for business purposes, but maybe they can legitimately be excused.  Let's be honest, a farmer without a 4 x 4 or when used for construction etc., they should be in some way exempt.

Offline toucan

Green Tax
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 07:48:00 pm »
pah, its politicians trying to make a name for themselves and journalists that are too stupid to see that (or they also enjoy a good joke). it will never happen, ever, ever, ever...
i'm not a complete idiot. some parts are missing.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Green Tax
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2007, 07:55:38 pm »
Quote from: "toucan"
pah, its politicians trying to make a name for themselves and journalists that are too stupid to see that (or they also enjoy a good joke). it will never happen, ever, ever, ever...

Howzit twincan, anyway its just another "tax gatherer copy" it exists in Europe already in terms of Road Tax I think, they have an emissions rating which governs certain taxation.

Guaranteed, we will get nailed.

Welsh  8)  8)  8)  8)
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Extreme Velcro

Green Tax
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 08:02:08 pm »
SUV's put out 43% more global-warming pollutants (28 pounds of carbon dioxide per gallon of gas consumed) and 47% more air pollution than the average car. (4, cited in 2002)

Car Almanac Statistics - World Almanac

Offline toucan

Green Tax
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2007, 08:52:13 pm »
the logical way would be put more tax on fuel, use more=pay more (duh).

but its a game to get the people to believe that you (an aspiring "honest and loyal" politician) support them.
i'm not a complete idiot. some parts are missing.

GS-holic

Green Tax
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2007, 08:18:42 am »
MMM maybe we can apply for Carbon Credits, register a biker Pty Ltd, list on the stock exchange and become stinking rich :lol:

Offline Grootseun

Green Tax
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2007, 08:37:27 am »
So will the politicians also pay the same SUV tax for the big black speeding SUV's terrorising motorists on the roads of SA??? With Flashing blue lights of course..

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
Green Tax
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2007, 08:40:06 am »
Quote from: "Grootseun"
So will the politicians also pay the same SUV tax for the big black speeding SUV's terrorising motorists on the roads of SA??? With Flashing blue lights of course..

Yes. It does not effect them directly. But we pay for their transport anyway remember?  :evil:
He who angers you, controls you.