Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Green Tax  (Read 1874 times)

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
Green Tax
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2007, 08:47:14 am »
Global warming(in the negative context) is another red herring i fear...dont listen to al gore etc etc ad nauseum.... its just another liberal concept to control the masses.

Global warming could in fact have some very good benefits if u think about it.... this planet is way over populated anyway.
Born to lose, live to win!!

Extreme Velcro

Green Tax
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2007, 08:53:48 am »
Quote from: "IceCreamMan"
Global warming(in the negative context) is another red herring i fear...dont listen to al gore etc etc ad nauseum.... its just another liberal concept to control the masses.

Global warming could in fact have some very good benefits if u think about it.... this planet is way over populated anyway.

Yeah yeah yeah - all conspiracies, all conspiracies......Way too much time wasted on these conspiracies, don't you think?

GS-holic

Green Tax
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2007, 09:04:13 am »
Fully agree - I say let the future sort itself out  -I personally dont give a flying hoot if 23 generations after me have battle with depleted natural resources, polution, global warming, etc.  :x

my unasked 2c

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Green Tax
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2007, 09:04:51 am »
Quote from: "GS-holic"
EV,

Just to confirm - you are on my side :?, we are friends right? - Don't want to be on your wrong side.

I say If they want to tax, tax vehicles that are plain fugly / rusty / smokey, like TATA, Scorpio, KTM, Proton, etc
 :wink:

Careful, I might take my avatar back :evil:  :evil:  :D
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

GS-holic

Green Tax
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2007, 09:07:16 am »
Quote from: "Clockwork Orange"
EV,

Just to confirm - you are on my side :?, we are friends right? - Don't want to be on your wrong side.

I say If they want to tax, tax vehicles that are plain fugly / rusty / smokey, like TATA, Scorpio, KTM, Proton, etc
 :wink:

Careful, I might take my avatar back :evil:  :evil:  :D

Hahaha I don't think you want to this 1's already got a negative nuance.   :lol:

Extreme Velcro

Green Tax
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2007, 09:15:05 am »
Fully agree - I say let the future sort itself out  -I personally dont give a flying hoot if 23 generations after me have battle with depleted natural resources, polution, global warming, etc.  :x

my unasked 2c

You are so right - we only promised them a brighter future, we didn't say that it might be from radiation or global warming *giggle*.

masehare

Green Tax
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2007, 09:44:01 am »
Why will hatch backs be taxed? Am I missing something here?  :?:

bobnob

Green Tax
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2007, 09:50:57 am »
how much co2 did the prime minister generate on her 747 shopping trip to the middle east?

or even better when she charted a plane to fly her from joburg to sun city?

surely that was not as fuel efficient as a SUV?

Extreme Velcro

Green Tax
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2007, 09:53:02 am »
I don't quite understand that either - I must do some more research around the reasoning behind that.....

shark_za

Green Tax
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2007, 10:07:17 am »
Quote from: "Extreme Velcro"

But they are NOT targeting luxury vehicles etc. otherwise they would be targeting every car that cost more than a certain amount.  They are targeting SUV's...

Just because they dont call it a luxury tax does not mean it is not aimed at that.
This is Africa, about half of our roads network is still dirt. WTF are they even thinking about a 4x4 tax.

This is a good example of a statement krazy-eyes made.
We are in a dangerous place, just first world enough to have these crazy ideas and just third world enough to corrupt and mess it up.

Offline Bossies

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
    • http://buyaikhaya.blogspot.com
Green Tax
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2007, 10:54:20 am »
Sorry...slightly off the topic. When I get back to SA I want to start up a movement to push the concept that West is not necessarily Best.

In the EU the govenrment have legislated themselves into a corner on so many fronts. Just look at how radiculous their health and safety measures are. Covering a person head to toe in PPE will not make him a safer person. I use this example because I work in the construction industry in the UK and am sick of hearing about saffa's that have done their stint here and then say they are going back and opening a H&S consultancy...why to drag SA down with the rest of the world instead of learning from the West's mistakes and developing more proactive policies, legistation etc etc

Anyway SUV tax in London makes sense. These Chelsea Tractors on school runs are utterly inappropriate for an urban environment. We knew that in the 90's already...remember the jokes about 4x4's in Santon. The UK is only realising it now.
If there's a will there's a way...so I will anyway!!!
http://buyaikhaya.blogspot.com
BMX, Orange "Help-my-trap", Honda Lead 50, TW125, XJ600s, Funduro, XJ900s, XR250, DL650VStrom, DR650SE, R80GS Now: Bikeless

GS-holic

Green Tax
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2007, 11:06:08 am »
+1 I agree in my working environment the Health and Safety issues has been ripped to such an extent that on each and every government project (local, provincial, national), especially construction projects, the budget consists of nearly 30% training for H&S.  Consequently the project has a shortfall of 30% (H&S), add to this the f-ups of the emerging contractors, (also prescibed ob Gvt) = 95% of all projects overseen by our company us ends up with a report of under execution / sub standard quality of 70% which at the end of the day results in inferior and poor service delivery to the tax payer.  And the consultants are always at fault - always. :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

ahhhh I feel much better.....

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
Green Tax
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2007, 11:22:09 am »
Quote from: "Bossies"
Anyway SUV tax in London makes sense. These Chelsea Tractors on school runs are utterly inappropriate for an urban environment. We knew that in the 90's already...remember the jokes about 4x4's in Santon. The UK is only realising it now.

Thats why I will suppert that tax...Mister SUV go and ride your tractor in the country and use your car (or bike) to get to work
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Kev

Green Tax
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2007, 12:12:43 pm »
Discrimination sucks.  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

But what to do to make it more fair? Scrap road tax all-together, and up the tax on fuel? If your vehicle is a luxury "gas guzzler" a la thirsty SUV, you will pay more. Little Fiat Uno? You pay less. Everyone shares the costs as to how much you use. Electric dudes? Don't pay at all. Sounds fair, no? This is what they did in France... we have no vehicle tax here. Just the fuel is taxed.

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
Green Tax
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2007, 12:25:26 pm »
Quote from: "Extreme Velcro"
Quote from: "IceCreamMan"

Yeah yeah yeah - all conspiracies, all conspiracies......Way too much time wasted on these conspiracies, don't you think?

i believe global warming is a natural phenomenon anyway although speeded up a bit i admit. The world's population is way to high an everyone would like to work to support themselves an their families , then western food aid keeps many ppl alive in africa which otherwise would have died instead of breeding more n more ppl. in order to keep ppl employed work in facotries etc etc needs to be created and increases to pollution are an obvious by product....

global warming will have benefits and its not all doom an gloom as the media etc would have u believe... an if u took all the suv's in za their total contribution to global warming is negligible when compared to eskom or sasol ...but of course you want your electricity to play yr stereo, charge yr ipod , make yr tea etc etc .... but just wont do for you to give up yr advantages ,much easier to tax the suv owner...

even a 800cc car adds to global warming so best you give up yr car an ride a bicycle or walk....any other form of transport is hypocritical.... actually in creating a bicycle somewhere along the line there is a factor that adds to warming so best u walk , preferably barefoot ....

take the Suv owner , he/she already pays way more tax than the ordinary car owner ....how

VAT on 500k is way more than VAT on 200K
petrol, SUV's use more gas and gas in ZA is 2/3 tax anyway.
tyres/parts etc etc are more expensive....

i dont begrudge suv owners , if they can afford it why not.

big houses use more electricity /materials etc etc than small houses, shall we now tax big houses cos they not as eco friendly.  etc etc etc

i believe targeting suv's is a red herring because it allows goverments to get away with bigger issues as far as global warming like factories/sasol or the fact that the deputy president of ZA chartered a flight for 4 ppl to fly her wherever she wanted to go. the impact of her one trip i believe resulted in 76 000 litres of fuel being used ....

now hypocrtical ppl like al gore , he also flies chartered would you bleieve and fires scientists who dont agree with him...he also lives in house which is far more environmentally unfriendly than bush does ...hypocrit ..

and to top it all of, so they tax the suv (who is already taxed more on the fuel levies already) who is going to spend that money and on what ...ludicrous if you believe its going to be used for good...

SUV's are a status symbol to a large extent for ppl who can afford them just like big houses, DS bikes, large cars, boats, sunglasses, etc etc etc .... i would be hard pressed to find any product that in some or other way does not contribute to global warming so where do we stop taxing ....

I dont have a SUV but will defend sharks right to own one and not be discriminated against cos he does. I n some cases a diesel SUV may use less fuel than a biggish petrol car.

The real solution to global warming is cullling half the worlds population immediately ...right all the global warming warners ....u first ..let it begin....  al gore , to the front of the line please
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
Green Tax
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2007, 01:09:29 pm »
I dont buy this crap that cars dont cause significant air pollution.
Just look at the smog that sits over Cape Town during the day.

Cars pollute.
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

bobnob

Green Tax
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2007, 01:17:05 pm »
Quote from: "Kaboef"
I dont buy this crap that cars dont cause significant air pollution.
Just look at the smog that sits over Cape Town during the day.

Cars pollute.

as do BMW boxer motor bikes!!!!

they burn oil by the gallon  :D

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
Green Tax
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2007, 01:20:04 pm »
Yea, but they do so in style... :D
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
Green Tax
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2007, 01:46:42 pm »
and standing up
 :)

Offline Zonkelmonk

• Whatever
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Yo! Sup?
Green Tax
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2007, 01:03:10 pm »
It is all a way to set the peasants on frenzie away from the real thread of global domination by industrial powers and 2 wheel drive cage drivers. I say kill them all!!!! KILL THEM ALLL!!!!  :evil:

O sh1te, my wife drives a 2 wheel drive ?  :roll:  ... Wait ... Yip, kill them all!!!!!!  :evil:
100001 110010 1101010