Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The shortest Ride report ever.  (Read 1952 times)

Offline Hando

• Formerly Hanno@MadMacs
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • http://dsadventure.wordpress.com/
    • Dual Sport Adventure
The shortest Ride report ever.
« on: July 31, 2011, 03:30:17 pm »
It had to happen.... everyone said it will happen...  I was hoping and praying that it would not happen... aaah well..

This weekend I went to Alexandria to go an visit my brother , Jaco. The idea was that we would ride out from Alexandria on Saturday morning and do some dirt roads passing through Alicedale, Riebeeck East, Grahamstown and back to Alex.

We left his place at 8 on Saturday morning and followed the R75 up to the turnoff to the right that says De Kol, Quaggasmuts.

With Jaco in the lead we hit the gravel. I was still settling onto the swing of things and dodging potholes when we went into the first righthander. And this is where the ride ended :

The road goes into a Right hander followed by an immediate left with a drop down the road.  Instead of riding my own bike at my own speed I was following my boet, who knows the roads well and have been riding for years. I went into the corner waaaay too fast and seeing the sharp turn to the left promptly locked up my backwheel and ran out of experience.  The bike went sideways until it hit a pothole with the rear wheel and highsided me. I bliksemed neer!!!. With the bike sliding on my right ankle I slid for a distance before coming to a stop.

I jerked my foot out from under the bike and then just lay there for probably 2 minutes trying to get my breath back. I last had my wind knocked out in primary school.

My boet , unaware of my fall was riding on. By the time he was riding back I was up and taking photos of my poor bike.

We were passed by four gents on DS bikes , but I was in a bit of shock and did not quite take a look to see if they were dogs.

We picked up the pieces and made our way home where we spent the rest of the morning trying to put my bike back together again as good as we could.

In the next week I will have to contact my insurer and start the procedure of trying to get my bike fixed.  The damage to my bike is cosmetics only. Broken are : R mirror, RF & RR indicators, RF side panel, Screen, Cluster hood and cluster basket(bent slightly) front fender broken off, R brake lever bent.

We re attached the front fender(beak) with a home made bracket , but she now has a broken nose like a knocked out boxer.

In the afternoon we went for another ride, with me being too stupid to admit that my R ankle was really sore.  I paid for that ride in pain and suffering on Sat evening.

Here are some pics from that afternoon's ride :

Another pic from the accident scene  :

The Bushmans river in flood - we decided not to try and cross. With my luck I would have drowned my bike. Actually crossing was not an option. The river was flowing very fast.

I am sure that most of you have been there , but I am really sad at having broken my bike.  I hope the insurance will fix her properly. Sorry Geotraveller. You gave her to me in good nick and I broke her.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 04:07:57 pm by Hando »

Offline Buks

• RR's no more!!
  • Race Dog
Re: The shortest Ride report ever.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 04:05:30 pm »
 :o Hi shyte Hando, really very sorry to hear about your misfortune!!!
Glad you're ok!!
Hang in there bru!!!
2012 Honda XR650L

THE PAST :   '83 Honda MT5; '84 Honda MTX200R; '8? Kawa GPZ550; '79 Honda XL185S; '94 Honda XLR250R; '08 BMW G650Xchallenge; '95 Honda Africa Twin; '10 Honda XR125L; '10 Yamaha XT250; '09 Husqvarna TE610; '10 Honda XR250 Tornado... and more than a dozen Honda + Yamaha ATV's + 1 Arctic Cat DVX400.

Geotraveller

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 04:11:23 pm »
Eish!!  :( Glad you're OK though.

Offline BabyBeemer

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 04:18:23 pm »
The bike can be fixed - glad you are okay - ish.
Bikes owned: Yamaha MR50, Honda MT5, Suzuki A80, Honda Transalp 700, BMW F650GS (Twin) BMW 800GS, Honda CBR300R, BMW F800R, BMW1200GS LC Sym Symphony 150 Current bikes: Another BMW 1200GS. BMWG310GS (For my son to learn on)

Offline pops

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 04:24:44 pm »
Not having much luck lately Hando. It has got to improve soon. :D
stupid , there aint no cure

Offline Hando

• Formerly Hanno@MadMacs
  • Race Dog
    • Dual Sport Adventure
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 04:25:24 pm »
Eish!!  :( Glad you're OK though.

I am Ok. A bit battered and bruised. Nice blue ankle. But I feel very crap about hurting Jemima.  At least there is no structural damage. Will just have to sort out the cosmetics.  

Ahh well , and so we learn. As long as I learn from the experience. But so far the last two Saturdays and my bike has not been good to me. I hope as Bie says , that it will be third time lucky and that bad luck does not come in threes for me this time.

Offline Laban

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • "Ride my own Ride"
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 04:32:07 pm »

The show must go on!! :thumleft:
..."sometimes the people around you won't understand your journey, they don't need to, it's not for them"...Joubert Botha

...tie my own bootlaces…

Offline SuperDavexlv750r

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
    • My business
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 04:58:40 pm »
Sorry to hear about your off.

Glad you ok- kind of. Jemima can be fixed toas good as new.
If you don't wings - you will never fly!

Honda XLV 750 R, Suzuki DR 650 R, Honda CBR1100xx (Blackbird), Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin, Suzuki RF 900 R, Yamaha FJ 1100, Honda CBX 1000, Suzuki GT 750, Yamaha DT 125

Online Bie

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 05:20:05 pm »
Bad luck comes in threes....
One - Thumb in chain.
Two - Off
one to go, probably the bad one.

P.S. I don't believe in that nonsense. Glad you are OK and safe km's from now on.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 05:20:51 pm by Bie »
Kom ons maak 'n stoffie.

Offline DirtyHarry

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • The journey will never end.
    • waveline holiday accommodation
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 05:23:40 pm »
No man. You are having a tussle with your bike lately. I hope you will get your bike fixed before the next weekend  ;)

Offline Carnivore

• Longer lasting theraphy.. do longer distance travelling..
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Port Elizabeth Old(er) Guy
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 05:30:13 pm »
Perhaps Allan Lewis and Jughead have spares...

Blazes might have indicators..

Could keep your claim cost down, or be less than your excess..

Mirror.. whole thing bust, or just the ferrule mounting? That's not (too) expensive to replace. Usually it's just the ferrule..

Fixing it yourself may be the way to go... keeps your costs down, insurance friendly and your skill levels go up..
Old, grey, crafty...

You can do anything if you have enthusiasm. Enthusiasm is the yeast that makes your hopes rise to the stars. Enthusiasm is the sparkle in your eyes, the swing in your gait, the grip of your hand, the irresistible surge of will and energy to execute your ideas. Enthusiasts are fighters. They have fortitude. They have staying qualities. Enthusiasm is at the bottom of all progress. With it, there is accomplishment. Without it, there are only alibis.
Henry Ford

Offline Smeagle

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 05:57:25 pm »
Hi Hando,

Sad to see the Dakar lying there, but glad you're OK.
Nice to see the pics, thats where I grew up. The pic with the dunes in the back, our house is 3km from the T-junction at the bottom.

Offline Bring It On

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 06:03:45 pm »
Glad to hear your spirit isn't brokken. Everyone has a fall some or other time. Glad you're ok though.
"Always Believe In Yourself"

Quote: "Riding a Bike feeds something inside us, that Nothing else can"
Quote: "I Ride because it can turn the Worst Day into the BEST"

Geotraveller

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 06:30:32 pm »
Hando, moenie worrie nie, Jemima is n tawwie ou tannie! Sy deel uit   :pot:  en sy kan vat  :peepwall:

Soos die manne se praat met Alan Lewsi, hy is op die forum. Hy ken Jemima ook.

Twee tip DS bikers, die wat geval het en die wat gaan val.

Offline Hando

• Formerly Hanno@MadMacs
  • Race Dog
    • Dual Sport Adventure
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 07:54:21 pm »
Glad to hear your spirit isn't brokken. Everyone has a fall some or other time. Glad you're ok though.

It was close though. As I lay in bed last night I did consider giving the DS thing up. I think I was confronted with my own mortality and how easy it is to get hurt on a bike.  But sanity prevailed and I even took a gravel detour on my home from Alex this morning.

Thanks Geotraveller. Makes me feel a little better.

Offline Gypsybaron

• It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 08:06:44 pm »
Hando, mooi area daar waar jy gaan ry het! Sterkte met jou pyne en skete, moet nou net nie 'n gewoonte daarvan maak om jouself elke naweek te beseer nie.
“All education is self-education. A teacher is only a guide, to point out the way, and no school, no matter how excellent, can give you education. What you receive is like the outlines in a child’s coloring book. You must fill in the colors yourself.” Louis L'Amour - The lonesome gods

Offline Hando

• Formerly Hanno@MadMacs
  • Race Dog
    • Dual Sport Adventure
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 08:20:02 pm »
Did I mention that the distance from where we turned onto the gravel to where I hit the ground was no more than 800 meters ??

Sad but true.

Offline Wolweseun

• Forum Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • VannieBaai
    • Bikes n Bits
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 09:17:59 pm »
Bad luck Dude

I have a screen in stock if you are interested
"Life is like a penis - simple, relaxed and hanging free...

it's women who make it hard"

www.bikesnbits.co.za

Offline ZAR

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 10:42:02 pm »
Nee Hando, lyk my jy en jou bike speel hou-vir-hou met mekaar.......   :o

Bly jy is o.k.

When injustice becomes law, Rebellion becomes duty!

A dubious plan decisively executed is more likely to succeed than a very good plan tentatively executed.

To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary.  To one without faith, no explanation is possible.               - Thomas Aquinas (1225 – 1274) -  2013 -  Suzuki DL650 2007; 2012-2013 Suzuki DL1000 2009 Crashed; 2009-2012 Suzuki DL650 2006 Sold; 2009-2012 PGO G-MAX 125cc 2009 Sold; 1990-1990 Suzuki GSX750 1982 Sold; 1988-1991 Suzuki RG50F

Offline Fugly

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011, 10:59:20 pm »
Hando I'm glad you are ok! Just gotta ask a question though, are you advertising on the forum?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 11:01:27 pm by Fugly »
Don’t worry about things that aren’t, worry about things that are and your decisions are so much easier to make!