The shortest Ride report ever.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hando

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
It had to happen.... everyone said it will happen...  I was hoping and praying that it would not happen... aaah well..

This weekend I went to Alexandria to go an visit my brother , Jaco. The idea was that we would ride out from Alexandria on Saturday morning and do some dirt roads passing through Alicedale, Riebeeck East, Grahamstown and back to Alex.

We left his place at 8 on Saturday morning and followed the R75 up to the turnoff to the right that says De Kol, Quaggasmuts.

With Jaco in the lead we hit the gravel. I was still settling onto the swing of things and dodging potholes when we went into the first righthander. And this is where the ride ended :

sml_IMG_8066.jpg

The road goes into a Right hander followed by an immediate left with a drop down the road.  Instead of riding my own bike at my own speed I was following my boet, who knows the roads well and have been riding for years. I went into the corner waaaay too fast and seeing the sharp turn to the left promptly locked up my backwheel and ran out of experience.  The bike went sideways until it hit a pothole with the rear wheel and highsided me. I bliksemed neer!!!. With the bike sliding on my right ankle I slid for a distance before coming to a stop.

I jerked my foot out from under the bike and then just lay there for probably 2 minutes trying to get my breath back. I last had my wind knocked out in primary school.

My boet , unaware of my fall was riding on. By the time he was riding back I was up and taking photos of my poor bike.

We were passed by four gents on DS bikes , but I was in a bit of shock and did not quite take a look to see if they were dogs.

We picked up the pieces and made our way home where we spent the rest of the morning trying to put my bike back together again as good as we could.

In the next week I will have to contact my insurer and start the procedure of trying to get my bike fixed.  The damage to my bike is cosmetics only. Broken are : R mirror, RF & RR indicators, RF side panel, Screen, Cluster hood and cluster basket(bent slightly) front fender broken off, R brake lever bent.

We re attached the front fender(beak) with a home made bracket , but she now has a broken nose like a knocked out boxer.

sml_IMG_8070.jpg

In the afternoon we went for another ride, with me being too stupid to admit that my R ankle was really sore.  I paid for that ride in pain and suffering on Sat evening.

Here are some pics from that afternoon's ride :

sml_IMG_8069.jpg

sml_IMG_8067.jpg

Another pic from the accident scene  :
sml_IMG_8071.jpg

The Bushmans river in flood - we decided not to try and cross. With my luck I would have drowned my bike. Actually crossing was not an option. The river was flowing very fast.

sml_IMG_8072.jpg

sml_IMG_8074.jpg

I am sure that most of you have been there , but I am really sad at having broken my bike.  I hope the insurance will fix her properly. Sorry Geotraveller. You gave her to me in good nick and I broke her.