WR250F vs KTM 250 EXC - info needed please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumbaa

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I'm looking for some useful info on these 2 different models  The KTM is the 2T, and not the 4T 250 EXC F model.  In particular, I'm looking for a bit of advice on the following.

Reliability of engine
Engine durability
Cost of maintenance
Maintenance frequency
Cost of parts

I have the opportunity to get hold of some relatively new WR250s.  I can get it from a place where they use them for introduction to offroad training.  The bikes might get dropped a bit more than when owned by someone who race them, but the engines are definitely not used to full potential.  The bike gets sold off after about 50-60, 4 hour rides, so an average about 200 hours on them.  Maintenance gets done by someone with about 30 years motorcycle mechanical experience in the British army.  The WR250F will cost me around GBP 3500

Alternatively, I can get hold of a 2010 250 EXC for around GBP4000 (no specific info on history, there are a few KTM available).

Now I know the bikes are 'completely' different, ie 4 stroke and 2 stroke, but that is unfortunately the limits of my knowledge.

What bike should last me a bit longer...(I know, very general question...).  Whether I get the Yamaha or the KTM, it probably won't be used to its full potential by me either, due to lack of skills/experience.