Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bike Window Shopping - Window Bike Shopping  (Read 1440 times)

Extreme Velcro

Bike Window Shopping - Window Bike Shopping
« on: May 26, 2007, 04:26:50 pm »
Had Mark's attention on a Saturday (he normally works) so off we went to buy one or two ATGATT items for me (de pillion) and to check out the Loncin that I have chosen as a starter bike and that even the bank manager likes.

So, off we went to check out the Loncin 200 GY-4A which is cute and very affordable and we decided, yip, "great starter as well as at R13 000 or so, if I fall and damage, not the end of the world" bike.

After that beginning, off we go to look at ATGATT gear, specifically knee protection.  But the spirit took us over and we got sidetracked by about five or six bike dealers on the way to Warwick at Bike Stuff, so we decided to do the "window" shopping for bikes thingy.

WOW, what fun..... Although honest with the sales people that we are just looking, and Mark leaving it completely up to me to do the "shopping", it was so much fun!!!!!!!

I "tried on" a KLE 400 (nice size; Kilroy, you were right, very lekker number that)  :) , a Yamaha XT but the Motard version (WOW, very cool)  :D , looked at a Transalp  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  (really, just looked at it - AIAIAIAIAIAI, that's a biggie), found out from Honda that engine parts for the NX imports - grey or otherwise - is not a problem and found a lovely little baby called a Suzuki DRZ 650.

Who made such a beautiful thing?  In this category, it seems lighter than air (you know what I mean), great feel (Mark's eyes positively gleamed as he worked out the fun quotient potential - and coming from the Yammie/KTM man, I thought taht was positive) and I found another possible love.

The only thing though, that seat feels HARD and feels as if after six hours, it could be WAY more than a liability, but obviously I wait to hear from the experts as to their opinion on that.  Man, she feels so cool !!!!

AAAAAHHHH well, got home full of dreams and hopes for the future, grinning from ear to ear - life is great for a pillion that is getting ready to get out there - I'm beginning to thing the shopping is as much fun as the actual purchase.

Who needs drugs - one morning "window" shopping and - WHEEEEEEEEE !!!!

The anticipation MOUNTS..........

:D  :D  :D

What will the final choice be one day when I grow up and am ready to join the BEEEEG world?

Offline chrisB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 05:48:08 pm »
It's a nice feeling to "shop" the problem is that it's difficult to stop once you started... but what the hell! :wink: I hope you find what you want.
G650 Xchallenge - uBerThuMper II

bobnob

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 05:49:20 pm »
where is da pictures?

Extreme Velcro

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 06:05:57 pm »
Quote from: "bobnob"
where is da pictures?

I wish - it was a spur of the moment "window" shop, so no pics...but you are right, from now on, the camera is going with whatever we do !  (OK, not quite everything - but anything bike related anyway!)  :twisted:

Red

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 06:43:04 pm »
Quote from: "Extreme Velcro"
  .   ..but you are right, from now on, the camera is going with whatever we do !  (OK, not quite everything - but anything bike related anyway!)  :twisted:

Yes, please!!!   :D  :D    

Do I understand correctly, you bought nothing??  You have a lot more self dicipline than I have.

Red

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 06:45:09 pm »
Duplicate.   :D  :D

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 06:58:31 pm »
Till about two years ago, window shopping was something the wife likes and do while I entertain the kids in the meanwhile. Was such a no-brainer to me.

Men normally go to the shps with a purpose. Know what I want, researh done  and go buy it. 1 Hour tops. Including travelling time. :twisted:

Since I got the biking thing going again, I think I uderstand more-or-less what it is all about. Maybe 3% that is. :D

The major difference is my window shopping stays just as that. Window shopping. Must say my wish list now stands at about 2 pages Word format. All biking related! :lol:

Enjoy the experience! :wink:
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Stephan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • bwk
Re: Bike Window Shopping - Window Bike Shopping
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 07:22:49 pm »

Had Mark's attention on a Saturday .....

Now, if I dare ask, how did you manage that?   :shock:  :shock:  :D
Hard reality does not often coincide with the people's wishes - Nelson Mandela

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 07:32:04 pm »
Quote from: "Stephan"

Had Mark's attention on a Saturday .....

Now, if I dare ask, how did you manage that?   :shock:  :shock:  :D

I'd tell you but then I'd have to steal your bike  :twisted:

It was first saturday off from work for some time and the last saturday with lejane until Septerber. Had graet fun watching EV's eyes light up each time she saw a bike that she felt comfortable on. The DRZ 650......mmmmmmmm I like it too, could be a really fun toy to through around then not riding the 950...... :twisted:  :twisted: but for some reason I don't think EV will let me ride her bike. :wink:  :lol:

Offline Stephan

• Race Dog
  • bwk
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 07:39:18 pm »
Quote from: "Mark Hardy"

..but for some reason I don't think EV will let me ride her bike. :wink:  :lol:

Now maybe if you got her attention....  :wink:  :wink:  :lol:

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 07:44:21 pm »

Oh I try all the time but I'm a bit short.................on the fur side :oops:  :wink:  :lol:

Offline Stephan

• Race Dog
  • bwk
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 08:03:46 pm »

Oh I try all the time but I'm a bit short.................on the fur side :oops:  :wink:  :lol:

Now maybe if you got a Suzuki sticker..... :lol:  :lol:

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 08:13:17 pm »

Now maybe if you got a Suzuki sticker..... :lol:  :lol:

and stick it where......

ok dont answer that :lol:  :lol: yep you have to release the animal in you to get EV's attention and the KTM has worked wonderfully in doing that. :wink:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline mango

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007, 05:49:43 pm »
So what's it to be?  Loncin or the DR? Two very different bikes, so I'm
totally confused  :?

And EV, do you now have to wait for Mark to get back before you get to
buy your bike?

Extreme Velcro

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 07:36:49 am »
I'm getting the Loncin now, hopefully in he next week to play on untill I am 100% comfortable in the traffic and some basic dirt stuff and we want to then keep it as a little run around scoot.  Then, in December, I will make a decision around the larger bike.

I should get the Loncin within the next fortnight or so depending on stock etc. I'll surprise Mark when he comes back with my fabulous skills  :twisted:  :twisted: - on the motorbike, that is.....

I think the DRZ is FANTASTIC as well, but am really worried about that seat.  It's hard !

Red

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2007, 07:54:17 am »
Way to go EV.  Proud of you!   :D

Offline lecap

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2007, 09:12:11 am »
DRZ 650? There is a DR 650

and a DRZ 400. No DR with a Z in size 650 afaik.
I had / have 6 DR 650's and can recommend them. They are fantastic bikes, tough and light and very easy to ride and plenty of fun.
The only negative is the hard seat which I don't mind too much. You get used to it like to a racing bicycle. If not you can get very nice gel seats from Corbin. I did up to 4000 km in one week (guiding a bunch of Japs WDK - Kunene - WDK) with no problems.
The other slightly negative is the smallish tank (14l) which is dry after some 280 kms +/- Also no real problem. Plan ahead or take a 5l jerrycan or get a 20l IMS tank.

There is very very few things to know about a DR especially if you buy a new one. Prior to 2004 they had (rare) cylinder foot gasket problems.
1997 / 1998 they engineered the torque limiter out of the starter drive to add it again in 1999 for very good reason.
All models: Remove the upper anyway useless chain guide roller and remove the shaft before your chain rips it off.

Mainenance is as simple as a stone axe. No degree in nuclear physics required to cut the workshop out of the equation.
Recommended
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2007, 09:52:23 am »
Another vote for the DR, even my higher strung DRZ is racing towards 50 000km with no problems.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki Djebel 250XC
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2007, 12:30:44 pm »
Agree, I really like the DR650.  Here is a photo I took at the local Suzuki dealer during a recent "window shopping trip" I did.  Black version of the DR650SE. Asking price R48k (before any 'negotiations')

Extreme Velcro

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2007, 12:34:11 pm »
Oh thank heavens, there is a black one - that's the only thing I couldn't wrap my head around with the one I saw - its BRIGHT yellow !

Yeah, pricing seems excellent as well.....

OK. so off to practise soon on the Loncin and when I'm a big girl, either the Suzuki or the Honda.

By the way, can the seat be made more comfy?  ARE there people who can help with that?

Just curious....