805 km, goats, donkey's, rocky tracks and mountain passes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidetrack

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Finding good places to ride that won't take more than a day is tough. Most places have been visited before or are just too far to do in a day. looking at the map I spotted some tracks I have never ridden before. The area between Ohrigstad and Tzaneen are rarely visited. To get to the good stuff you have to get to Groblersdal which lies about 180 km from Pretoria. From there the world or should that be trails are your oyster. The whole area is pretty rural, lots of villages dot the countryside and thousands of goats roam the roadside. The more you head north the more secluded it gets, when the kids hear and see a motorcycle they run as if the tokolosh is behind them :D I'm pretty sure most of them have never seem a bike in their life before. But there is also something special about this area, they live in a very tribal lifestyle and surrounds. You will always get a friendly wave or smile rather than being thrown with a rock like you would find closer to gangsters paradise.

This is my ride, one day 805 km, hope you enjoy the pics !

Knowing it would be a long day I decided to get to Groblersdal as fast as 400 cc possible, it did not take me long to find out that this was a crappy idea. Riding past Bronkhorspruit my hands were freezing and the boredom of the tar road was unbearable.

DSC_5742.jpg

I could take Zusterstroom, one of my favourite little tracks but that would take me too far from Groblersdal. The second option was to take the Loskopdam trail at Verena and that is excactly what I did.

Getting on the dirt felt good, nice quiet countryside and a nice little section that led to the N11 and on to Groblersdal.

DSC_5743.jpg

DSC_5744.jpg

The first stretch of the Loskop track is pure ds heaven. Winding stoney track which runs next to the nature reserve. It then climbs to the plateau where you can open the bike up if you want too :D Whilst riding this section a duiker appeared out of now where and run between the road and the fence. I just knew what would happen and just when I got next to it the buck made for the fence and nosedived straight into the fence ! Ouch poor thing, looking back it seemed to be ok as it hightailed in the opposite direction.

DSC_5745.jpg

Past Monsterlus I rejoined the dirt and it opened into a very nice stretch past villages through the mountains and eventually through some okes field in the way of a kickass jeep track (which I did not photograph).

DSC_5748.jpg

DSC_5749.jpg

DSC_5750.jpg

DSC_5751.jpg

From here it was another short tar stretch that led to another very enjoyable stretch. The pass on the other side of Thabekhulong was killer 8) Awesome switchbacks and rocky roads made for some great riding.

DSC_5753.jpg

DSC_5754.jpg

DSC_5756.jpg

It winded down into the valley where some sandy patched and dry river bed crossings followed. One of the locals traversed the pass in his Pulsar, he was having one heck of a time dodging the worst parts. Stopping for pics meant i ended up passing him twice, he probaly though I was crazy.

DSC_5757.jpg

Down in the valley

DSC_5758.jpg

DSC_5759.jpg

Not sure how far till the next petrol station I was quite happy to see a Total when I joined the tar again. Also got hold of a cold Coke and had to tell a local that he cannot have a ride on my "scooter" as he called it :evil: :lol: The next bit I got a bit lost, I ended up riding through villages looking for the right path, now I know what black Africa feels like in the Dakar rally :shock: Chickens, goats, kids you name it they all got out of the way when the DRZ cruised by.

DSC_5761.jpg

I ended up following this track for about 15 km as it lead in the right direction, it was a very enjoyable little section :p

DSC_5763.jpg

Would you not ride here ?

DSC_5764.jpg

Eventually I ran into a locked gate, apparently you are allowed through but there were no one nearby and it was locked, oh well time for a 30 km detour :? The next bit past Mahlatsani looked like a blast on the map. The squigly line crawling and zig zagging up and through the mountains. The first stretch which were supposed to be gravel have been tarred and they are still busy expanding the tar towards Fertilis. If you ever want to ride here or are even condsidering buying a ds bike do it NOW. Some of the best dirt roads are dissapearing fast, get out there and enjoy them while they are still there.

Luckily the pass itself seems to be safe for now. It's a memorable ride as the trail winds next to the river which meanders through the green (for winter)countryside. You can clearly see that Tzaneen and legendary Duiwelskloof looms just beyond the Strydpoortberge.

DSC_5766.jpg

DSC_5767.jpg

DSC_5768.jpg

DSC_5769.jpg

DSC_5770.jpg

DSC_5774.jpg

Unfortunetly it's here that I had to turn around. It was allready late into the day and I had at least 400 km to cover. Really a shame, looking ahead the I could see the trail snaking through the mountain. Redrider and Runner did this pass in their Venda trip and the pics looked awesome. I'll be back :D

Last pic before I headed to Marble hall for a quick before hanging on the cable on dead straight tar :evil:

DSC_5775.jpg

Honestly to do a ride like this in one day is not ideal, too much ground to cover which leaves less time to do more dirt roads as they were all over the place. I reckon a one night stand is really worth while in this area if you don't mind dodging goats and riding some great trails :D Only got home at half past seven but it was worth it !