Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 1200 ADV Engine knocking noise  (Read 6443 times)

Offline Schlowy

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Leave Nothing To Chance
Re: 1200 ADV Engine knocking noise
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2011, 07:04:01 pm »
So I bought and fitted the Acceleraror Module.

As promised. Over night delivery and quick to fit DIY. Thanks Schlowy.

The enjin is smoother on idle and pick-up from low revs, but still not good enough for my liking. Maybe I'm just over sensitive about it.

The knocking noise is still there, but much less pronounced and now goes away at 2500 revs where before it was at 3000. Whether the bike pulls stronger I have no Idea. To me it goes like snot in any case, as I was used to smaller, less powerful, enjins.

My conclusion is that the gadget definately does something good, but I will have to also look at the proper tuning/set-up on the enjin- balance TB, check valve clearances, etc. But so far so good.

hi
from our experience the 2007 model is one of the worst in terms of lean mix set by BMW .
i am working now on two new models of the AM
the first will be aim at the 2007 range which add 20% to the value set on a normal AM it will  add more fuel to the mix ( i will send you one to test and if it is helping you then send the used one back)
the second one will be aim on those riders that do a lot of long distance and need more fuel economy scarfing a little of the power the normal AM give .

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2011, 08:15:16 am »
 :thumleft:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2011, 08:55:45 am »
My reply is simple............ unless the Safricans stand together and force BMW-SA to get new AF mapping for SA conditions from Germany... the bikes will all continue pinging. The mapping on the bikes is for EU3 standards and with 98 or higher Octane.

BMW-SA or should I say Mr Steli Momos' statement to me was that there were too few bikes or owners that had an issue with the pre-detonation, for them to emplore BMW-GA to supply them with remapping for the ECU's. Hell they even denied knowing about the availability of a lower-grade fuel mapping that's offered by BMW and CLEARLY mentioned on their colour advertising brochures for these bikes (anyone got one - scan and place here)

Guess what - my new GSA runs on a local supermarket's petrol - Tesco's Super Unleaded 99 Octane petrol - and it does NOT ping  :thumleft:  and goes like a bat-out-of-hell!
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ‹(•¿•)›

Offline MINZI

• Under Construction!
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer
  • Right here, right now, nothing else matters.
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2011, 08:59:29 am »
I had the same knocking sound on my bike. This happened with all grades of fuel. The CAT has been removed, still there, Fitted Remus endcan, still there, Fitted Schlowy and BMC airfilter, much better and nearly gone, fitted full Akrapovic system, now it is gone.   :thumleft:
If you do not STAND for something, you will FALL for anything!

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2011, 10:44:21 am »
Went for the first ride after fiitting the AM yesterday.
The throttle is better and the pinging is gone.(my bike has no cat and a Acro pipe)
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Obi -Wan

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2011, 11:52:54 am »
Hi Jupiter

I think one has to seperate the noises you are experiencing.

If you have a pinging problem , the accellerator module will help - I am sceptical that you will have a pinging problem at sea level.

You probably have one of the following issues on your 1200:

On some 1200 's the cam chain tensioner could get sticky and knock a bit ( like a bearing) when cold, and go away when warm. Change over to a semi-synthetic engine oil   - which i would do anyway  - or get the tensioners replaced.

The majority of the knocking sounds come from a clutch rattle which gets worse as the bike warms up, this is common on many 1200 GS 's . Just ignore it, if your bike runs well, doesn't overheat , uses no oil then you are ok. Mine has had the knock for 86000 km and tops out at 219 kmh on my 276 c.

Damn noisy BMw's !

C
Real Men ride a Pig !

Offline Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2011, 12:20:36 pm »
Hi Jupiter

I think one has to seperate the noises you are experiencing.

If you have a pinging problem , the accellerator module will help - I am sceptical that you will have a pinging problem at sea level.

You probably have one of the following issues on your 1200:

On some 1200 's the cam chain tensioner could get sticky and knock a bit ( like a bearing) when cold, and go away when warm. Change over to a semi-synthetic engine oil   - which i would do anyway  - or get the tensioners replaced.

The majority of the knocking sounds come from a clutch rattle which gets worse as the bike warms up, this is common on many 1200 GS 's . Just ignore it, if your bike runs well, doesn't overheat , uses no oil then you are ok. Mine has had the knock for 86000 km and tops out at 219 kmh on my 276 c.

Damn noisy BMw's !

C

Fitted the AM 7. Made no decernable difference to the noise. When cold the enjin is dead quiet, even under load. I use ful synthetic oil and don't think it is the clutch. The bike is a little rough on idle, but pulls nice and smoothly. Over 3000 revs The noise seems to go away or is deadened by helmet noise. At any revs, if the enjin is not under load ther is no noise, but the heavier loaded, the noisier it is. So I'm quite sure by now its pinging.

I'll wait and see about Schlowy's new AM model. Its a slow process, as you can only make one change at a time and then test for a while.

Goose's solution seems to be the only right and permanent one, if only these oke's would get there heads out there arses and give the customer what he wants.

It seems so unecessary to go the route of expensive mods and upgrades, like the other guys did, but in the end it will probably be the answer.

Offline Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2011, 12:24:27 pm »
My reply is simple............ unless the Safricans stand together and force BMW-SA to get new AF mapping for SA conditions from Germany... the bikes will all continue pinging. The mapping on the bikes is for EU3 standards and with 98 or higher Octane.

BMW-SA or should I say Mr Steli Momos' statement to me was that there were too few bikes or owners that had an issue with the pre-detonation, for them to emplore BMW-GA to supply them with remapping for the ECU's. Hell they even denied knowing about the availability of a lower-grade fuel mapping that's offered by BMW and CLEARLY mentioned on their colour advertising brochures for these bikes (anyone got one - scan and place here)

Guess what - my new GSA runs on a local supermarket's petrol - Tesco's Super Unleaded 99 Octane petrol - and it does NOT ping  :thumleft:  and goes like a bat-out-of-hell!

Goose, can you please give me the link to the thread where you discussed these issues on your bike.

Offline tonys

« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2011, 01:12:23 pm »
Jupiter

It's all here, all 30+ pages - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=49103.0
"Light travels faster than the speed of sound, which is why some people appear bright until they speak".

2013 R1200GSA (Sold) 2011 R1200GS Adv (Sold) 2008 R1200GS (Sold)

Offline tonys

« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2011, 01:35:12 pm »

"Light travels faster than the speed of sound, which is why some people appear bright until they speak".

2013 R1200GSA (Sold) 2011 R1200GS Adv (Sold) 2008 R1200GS (Sold)

Offline Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2011, 01:46:22 pm »
Thanks.

Offline Goose

• Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2011, 03:05:33 pm »

Thanks TonyS   - yep that little paragraph is ignored it seems.....   ???
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ‹(•¿•)›

Offline BennNevis

« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2011, 04:17:32 pm »
I had the same knocking sound on my bike. This happened with all grades of fuel. The CAT has been removed, still there, Fitted Remus endcan, still there, Fitted Schlowy and BMC airfilter, much better and nearly gone, fitted full Akrapovic system, now it is gone.   :thumleft:
It's not gone, you just cannot hear it :biggrin:

Offline MINZI

• Under Construction!
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer
  • Right here, right now, nothing else matters.
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2011, 12:40:08 pm »

I also thought that it could be that, but at a steady speed, the noise from the cans are not to bad so I could hear that there were no knoking. It took a while for someone to actually make that remark, thought someone will give me shit sooner... ;D
If you do not STAND for something, you will FALL for anything!

Offline Goose

• Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2011, 12:45:31 pm »
Chaps - some food for thought....

BMW keep saying that there is no problem, pinging... is acceptable, pinging is non-destructive to the engine.........  :eek7:

so here's the question....!

If there is no issue at all.... why the hell are there so many aftermarket products that have been designed to try get the A/F settings right and to prevent the damage to the engines.... Power Commanders, Wunderlicht......... ffs everyone's trying to solve a problem, which quite frankly BMW themselves knowingly created (UE Standards for emmissions) - and here we the fools are brand loyal and trying to resolve the issue in a gentlemanly manner....?

Just does not make sense... surely we the consumer have the power to get the manufacturer and local distributor to fix the bloody problem?

BMW-SA's attitude with regard to this is just arrogant and quite frankly unbelievable....... how the hell are they getting away with it?  :xxbah:

Offline BennNevis

« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2011, 09:20:46 pm »

I also thought that it could be that, but at a steady speed, the noise from the cans are not to bad so I could hear that there were no knoking. It took a while for someone to actually make that remark, thought
someone will give me shit sooner... ;D

Not giving shit, did my gezaust aswel but under full load one can still just hear mine and by all feedback so far one has to go PC route. Too lean a fuel mix for our low octane stuff. Incidentally under constant throttle you would not hear pinking

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2011, 09:56:28 pm »
I had one of the first 2006 1200ADV's in SA  - no pinginging! Presently have EishPee2 ... NO PINGEEING. (I do run a Wonderlick/Techlusion PC but even wiffout does not ping) ???
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2011, 10:20:53 am »
So I bought and fitted the Acceleraror Module.

As promised. Over night delivery and quick to fit DIY. Thanks Schlowy.

The enjin is smoother on idle and pick-up from low revs, but still not good enough for my liking. Maybe I'm just over sensitive about it.

The knocking noise is still there, but much less pronounced and now goes away at 2500 revs where before it was at 3000. Whether the bike pulls stronger I have no Idea. To me it goes like snot in any case, as I was used to smaller, less powerful, enjins.

My conclusion is that the gadget definately does something good, but I will have to also look at the proper tuning/set-up on the enjin- balance TB, check valve clearances, etc. But so far so good.

hi
from our experience the 2007 model is one of the worst in terms of lean mix set by BMW .
i am working now on two new models of the AM
the first will be aim at the 2007 range which add 20% to the value set on a normal AM it will  add more fuel to the mix ( i will send you one to test and if it is helping you then send the used one back)
the second one will be aim on those riders that do a lot of long distance and need more fuel economy scarfing a little of the power the normal AM give .

Got the two new models of the AM's today. Thanks Schlowy(At his costs ! The man will not rest until his happy with my bike :thumleft:). Will start testing this afternoon.

Offline BlingKing

• Don't just fix it - BLING IT!
  • Vendors
  • R3k Vendor
    • Bling King Motorcycles
« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2011, 12:43:20 pm »
Very simple - I am on my 17th Adventure and haven't had one ping or break and those that know me know I ride hard. I have even done 3 Tri-Track tours on Adventures, the solution is very simple - the Wunderlich Performance Controller. It simply works and you can ask whatever map you want.

For a really quiet motor - my Adventure is on a diet of Liqui Moly Racing Fully Synthetic 10W50 motor oil with the wunder substance called Cera Tec. Cera Tec is a cermaic additive that is a friction modifier, makes the motor run quieter, cooler and protects it against wear - it IS THE SHIZZ!
To give you an example - my bike runs 2 bars cooler on the heat guage than it did before I added Cera Tec, and that's with some pretty hectic riding
Professionals is Suspension Matters
We Service & Repair Dual Sport & Adventure Bikes
Upgrades, Repairs & Replacements of Shocks & Forks
Importers for WILBERS Suspension AG, TFX Suspension, HAGON Shocks UK, WUNDERLICH for your BMW!
Agents for: HYPERPRO, BiTUBO, OHLINS, RACE-TECH, K-TECH

Offline Dogmatix

• Bike: Yamaha TTR 250
  • None the Wiser
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2011, 06:10:40 pm »
and what costs this Shizz Nizz? Can one add it to mineral oil or only fully synth?
"Don't believe every quote you read on the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln