Matroosberg. A quiet ride. (Yeah right!) "Video" added on page 5

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pleco

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Well I hinted, and suggested and asked, and eventually I ended up at the bottom of Matroosberg, ith Roost in tow and with a lot of apprehension.  :eek7:

The usual suspects Michiel and Mr. Big joined us, with Malcolm on his new DRZ 400. Monkeyboy has rubber arms for trips like these, So I convinced him easily to come along. A Friend of mine joined on his disposable 125, but sadly could not get the 125 to climb the first hill. (he had a ball through the farm and the quad tracks though)

Firstly I have to say this was the most taxing ride I have ever done. This is not for newbs, unfit fat guys (like me) and bikes without bulletproof crash bars.

We did the first climb section without too much trouble, except for MB tearing his spotlight mount on the first fall of the day. Roost came off on the next steep turn, and got that Eishpee up in a flash, and took off on that hill without any help or pushing.

I made the turn, but on the long steep steps after that, I got so tired that I dropped the bike about 20m from from the next staging point. I just fell over. No choice in it. :imaposer:

Here is an extract of the conversation after Roost came running down to see if I was Ok:

Me: " Wheeeeez, Wheeeez, Wheeeeez, Wheeez, cough, Wheeeez"
Roost: "hey are you OK!"
Me: (waving arms) " Wheeeeez, Wheeeez, Wheeeeez, Wheeez, cough, Wheeeez"
Roost:"Here's some water"
Me (waving arms more frantically, and trying to stop him from drowning me):  " Wheeeeez, Wheeeez, Wheeeeez, Wheeez, cough, Wheeeez"

After I eventually got my breath back we continued up, up , and up. I could not believe how easily Michiel rides up there. (I, very much too late, later found out that he stands on the passenger pegs because of the steepness!!)

A few more falls later, we got to the "saddle" of the mountain, and had a bit of a break.
To be continued: (unfortunately this was not the end of the ride)

Attachments

• IMAG0590 (Medium).jpg
    IMAG0590 (Medium).jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 964