Dakar 2012

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baku

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
My 2012 application was accepted so its back into the routine of getting ready for the 2012 edition of the Rally. This year there are few South Africa's attempting the epic race; Darryl Curtis, Neil Scott-Williams, Greg Raaff and our own Kiwi, Chris Birch. Obviously Chris and Darryl are looking for more than just a finish so from a South African support point of view the race will be very exciting to follow.

I've helped Chris with his racing in RSA this year and will be contributing towards his Dakar attempt, we are still a little off the mark wrt all the costs so there are some spots available if anyone is looking at a sponsorship opportunity....please drop me a line if you are interested or know someone who might be. We're planning a fundraiser which will include guest speakers (Dakar related) and a memorabilia auction, we will also have Alfie's car and the new 450 Rallys on display........I'll keep you posted on the dates of the event (hopefully sometime in September)

I've started my training schedule, sticking to a very similar regime as last year with a few small changes. The big benefit this year is that I'll be able to do some of the long training runs with Neil, Greg and Chris (all Natal based). The plan is to ride at least 4 times a week, with a mixture some fast Enduro lap type training mixed in with 8 hr+ bush rides, with the usual gym and other fitness work thrown in on the other days. We are scheduled to ride to Namibia in Sept and hit the dunes for a few days and slog some k's. For those of you interested I'll keep this page updated with how things are going.

My 450 Rally has arrived and I will have it in Natal until November, if anyone interested in seeing the bike and you're riding down the Loteni Road on your way to Sani Pass please pop in and have a cup of coffee. ;)