THE F650 OIL RETURN LINE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spokie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Well, many of our F650 pack members (who work on their own bikes) know about the oil return line nightmare, running over the left hand cover plate, constituting to a proper kak-job in the replacement of a water pump system, or clutch. I changed the water pump system recently and though I’d comment on my experience on this.

Interesting to note is that the layout for this oil return line on the F650RR (the bike used to win The Dakar race – twice!) was done by a flexible hose running over the front end of the engine to the oil sump (tank) in the top.  At least for once, back then, the guys from Touratech (and maybe those from BMW as well) thought about maintenance sufficiently.

WHY DID THEY CHANGE IT?

I don’t know why, or who, fucked it up there in Europe but it was probably the most frustrating part of the whole pump replacement project – never again. However and as sure as hell, the first time I replaced the water pump I promised myself never to fit that pipe again. Got myself a nifty replacement made by the local hydraulic pipe dude! I never have to screw around with the oil return line again or even remove the banjo-bolt.

The solutions are super simple and it could cost anything from:

R20 for a piece of rubber pipe and a few clamps or
R60 for a full length, rubber high temperature house (like the OEM short piece between the oil tank and return line) to
R200 for a Teflon (PTFE) stainless steel woven hose with proper fittings etc.
However, even the most expensive option (for a new oil line and including a Champion X305 oil filter  :biggrin: ) will cost you the same as a new OEM oil filter from BMW (for one need to change the oil after a water pump replacement.)

Dus, moenie moan nie dis nou kaas en polony!

Interesting sites:
The official F650RR thread
file:///D:/F650GS%20DAKAR/F650RR/showthread.php.htm

F650.com - Flexible Oil Line
https://www.f650.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=222806

Attachments

• dakarF650RR 2.png
    dakarF650RR 2.png
    174.8 KB · Views: 393
  • oillinecut.png
    oillinecut.png
    222.7 KB · Views: 400